Community Message Boards

Thread: Does Red Curry Paste Go Bad

Does Red Curry Paste Go Bad

I have a litle tub of red curry paste that I stashed in the refrigerator (I HOPE that's what it is). It is several months since I put it there. There is no mold or gunk on it.

Do you think it's safe to use?

Alternatively, what can I use in lieu of red curry paste. I think I have some green curry paste plus an insane number of other hot condiments - chile garlic, garlic dipping sauce etc.

I'm assuming it's Thai red curry paste? I asked DH (who is a professional chef) and he said, "A very, very, very, very long time. I have never seen it go bad. If it's in a plastic container in the fridge, I'd venture to say 'indefinitely.'"

We went through a lot of curry paste - we got yellow (mildest), red (medium) and green (super hot) so it didn't hang around very long. To be quite honest, even when we kept it at home, I have never seen it go bad. I believe it's probably the salt content that acts as a preservative.

If you decide to sub the green curry paste - be aware, it's the hottest of the three.
    "There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."

Thanks -- My instinct was that since it passed the sight and sniff test it would be fine -- especially since the stuff is supposed to be some kind of preservative -- but it's nice to hear it from an expert.

I had a jar of Thai red curry paste in my fridge for quite awhile. I'm not exactly sure how long, but probably around 8-12 months. I thought the stuff would last forever, so I was surprised when I opened it up to use it again and it was FILLED with green and black mold. So, yes, it does (at least eventually) go bad.

one of my new (old) Moosewood books has a recipe for making your own, in case you're interested.
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

I'm embarrassed to admit...

but I think I've had mine in the fridge for 5 years and I still use it. It still makes a mean curry and I haven't gotten sick.

Well! I wish I'd seen this thread a few hours ago!
    I keep my Thai curry pastes until they're gone - usually about a year or so, I guess. The red is at my house, the green at DBF's, where I'm staying. Somehow believing that green is the milder, I threw in a little "for the pot" when making my soup tonight and it was pretty darned hot (I used a generous tablespoon). Fortunately I like hot, because that was a little more than I'd anticipated.

Now why the heck have I been thinking that red is hotter?