Community Message Boards

Thread: Mashed sweet potatoes - how far ahead?

Mashed sweet potatoes - how far ahead?

I have a yearning for yams (OK, red sweet potatoes) and, believe it or not, have never made them mashed, just baked or steamed. I've looked at zillions of recipes and the closest to make-ahead I've come is "may be prepared two hours in advance". What happens if you make them a lot earlier and reheat?
    I was going to peel and cube them, roast till tender, put through the ricer and add butter, maybe a little 1/2-1/2, and seasonings. Does the texture go funky if you let them sit like that all day and then pop the casserole in the oven?

Could you make them ahead and then keep them warm in a crockpot?? I'm not sure how far ahead you could do this though.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Nope, no crockpot. Of course I could just chuck 'em in the oven and bake them as usual, but some stupid thing put in my mind that I must have *mashed* . Maybe because I'd rather deal with dinner than what I'm really supposed to be doing.

I have never done it quite that way, but I have made them ahead and frozen them. They come out great! So, I'm 99% sure you'd be fine.

I'm sure someone here can be more specific...
    Julie

I make mashed sweet potatoes for my personal chef clients all the time. They are either refrigerated or frozen and heated later. Other than needing to give them a good stir after heating, they come out fine.

I like this recipe from Cooks Illustrated.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes
    serves 4
    Cutting the sweet potatoes into slices of even thickness is important so that they cook at the same rate. A potato masher (see the Equipment Corner on page 209) will yield slightly lumpy sweet potatoes; a food mill will make a perfectly smooth puree. The potatoes are best served immediately, but they can be covered tightly with plastic wrap and kept relatively hot for 30 minutes. This recipe can be doubled and prepared in a Dutch oven; the cooking time will need to be doubled as well.
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
    2 tablespoons heavy cream
    teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 large or 3 medium-small potatoes), peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut crosswise into -inch-thick slices
    Pinch ground black pepper
    1. Combine butter, cream, salt, sugar, and sweet potatoes in 3- to 4-quart saucepan; cook, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes fall apart when poked with fork, 35 to 45 minutes.
    2. Off heat, mash sweet potatoes in saucepan with potato masher, or transfer mixture to hopper of food mill and process into warmed serving bowl. Stir in pepper; serve immediately.

Lisa

Lisa, do you know how many the CI recipe serves and any nutritional info? Thanks!

How the heck did I miss your post, Lisa? And I'd actually looked at that recipe this morning in CI's "The Quick Recipe".
    So here's what I did: Skinned the sweet potatoes and cut in 1-2 inch cubes, tossed with a tiny bit of olive oil and salt and pepper and roasted for 40 minutes, stirring once. I tried to put them through the ricer but that didn't work so I used a hand masher, tossing in some butter, then whipped with a hand mixer, adding a little half and half and more salt and pepper. I just put them in a Pyrex bowl and later nuked them for 6 minutes. I don't know why you're not supposed to do that, but they tasted good to me, and I was glad to have them ready to go before I started dinner tonight. I'm still going to take that CI recipe for a spin....

Sherry - I posted this recipe at work, but I'll get my MC nutritional info tonight and post it.

Canice - I use a food mill when I make the CI recipe. Although, a hand masher has worked pretty well in a pinch (like when I forget to take my food mill with me!)