Community Message Boards

Thread: Where can I buy cheesecloth?

Question Where can I buy cheesecloth?

And is there anything in particular I should look for when purchasing it?
    Thanks!

You can get it anywhere you get cooking gadgets. It's usually around that stuff (at least where I go). I can even get it at the grocery store.

I think it's all about the same but I could be wrong...

I've seen it at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

I can usually find it at my grocery store too. I'm sure there are probably better quality ones but I've never had any problems with the supermarket ones.

You can buy it at any kitchenwares store or at most supermarkets, but I am very partial to the stuff from Williams-Sonoma as it's quite different from what I find elsewhere. The variety I find in regular stores is white and quite soft with a very loose weave, while the W-S stuff is an stiffer, unbleached cloth with a tight weave - no need to fold it in layers and it doesn't have that slightly fuzzy aspect to it. That's just a personal preference, though - I'm sure it ultimately doesn't matter what kind you use.

You can buy it at Jo'Anns - either by the yard or in a pkg. and if you hurry, it is on sale half price through Saturday with the rest of the notions wall!
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

They have extra fine cheesecloth (very high quality) in the King Arthur Flour catalog (or the website). Here is a link:

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/deta...=1111713758337

Oooo! Thank you so much for your replies! I have a gift certificate to William Sonoma, so I'll try it there!

Barefoot Contessa mentioned getting it at hardware stores.
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

Every single supermarket I shop in sells it. It's usually just hung somewhere in the store, like the melon ballers and ice cream scoops that pop up here and there, though often it's in the cleaning section with the mops and brooms, too!

Bob

i buy cheesecloth at a fabric store (or a fabric section of a store like walmart). i can get 10 times as much for the same $4.00 the supermarkets charge.
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

It's funny the things you learn on this board. I had no idea you could get it in fabric stores, and didn't know there were different kinds!

I bought some today at a True Value hardware store, in the paint department. Four square yards for $2.50.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Just a word of caution here. I don't use tons of cheesecloth but sometimes the stuff at hardware stores is not cotton. they call it cheesecloth but it's a synthetic fiber. this may work fine for some things but it will not work in the oven. guess I'm thinking of the martha stewart turkey recipe where you drape the turkey with several layers of cheesecloth during baking.

fwiw, it's not re-usable; that is, not if you machine wash it. it's very loose-weave, gauzy, and shrinks to nothing. there IS an alternative: one of those metallic tea-ball things on a chain--you can put the same spinces in that and hang it over the (in)side of the pot, then fish it out.

got mine at target in the kitchen section
    Though a flower may not bloom, In our heart, We still know the beauty of it's blossom

17. A few possibilities

You have a few options. You can can go to your local supermarket, there is a good chance they have there. Other stores may have too, like hardware stores or fabrics stores. If you want to purchase online, I'd recommend http://burlapfabric.com, they are excellent.You should know about the different weaves, which basically means how tight the fabric will be. Depending on what you are using it for, you may want a looser or tighter weave.

18. Where can I buy cheesecloth?

A great place is http://cheeseclothfabric.com. They have terrific costumer service and shipping. And think about what kind of weave you want - how thick do you want it to be, there are varying degrees of thickness. Good luck! :-)