Community Message Boards

Thread: Ham Troubleshooting

Ham Troubleshooting

For Easter we had a spiral cut, fully cooked ham. I baked it in a 325 degree oven, basting with a honey glaze every 15 minutes. I read we needed to get the ham up to 140 degrees, but we cooked it forever (over 2 hours) and it still was only about 120, but we took it out anyway. (There were other things in the oven that probably affected the cooking time.) Parts of the ham were great, but a lot of parts were really dry and tough. I had a little bit of a foil tent, but did I not cover it well enough? Iím just trying to figure out what went wrong.

Thanks!

If it was fully cooked, why did you bake it? If I buy a cooked ham I don't cook it any more.

Originally posted by funniegrrl
    If it was fully cooked, why did you bake it? If I buy a cooked ham I don't cook it any more.
    How do you warm it up? Or do you eat it cold?

This is similar to the recipe I followed...not exactly, but close. It calls for a ready-to-eat ham.

http://pork.allrecipes.com/az/HoneyGlazedHam.asp

Maybe I should have only gotten the temperature up to 100....would that have been enough?

I bought a half of a fully-cooked, spiral-cut ham (not Honey-Baked) from my local grocery store. I also found that it took longer than expected to reach the recommended 120 degrees. (I ended up turning the oven from 325 degrees to 400 degrees to speed things up.)

Their general instructions were good, however, and the ham was not dry or tough. For the reheating, they suggested covering the roasting pan with foil. This helped to prevent drying out. Following their instructions, toward the end, after the ham had come to 120 degrees, I uncovered it, applied the glaze, and cooked it at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Kay

I remember once when I bought a Honey-Baked Ham, they did not recommend reheating at all. I did so, however, at a moderate temperature, COVERED, and had the same good results as above.

K.