Community Message Boards

Thread: itchy skin from surgical tape

itchy skin from surgical tape

I have a really severe latex allery. I try to stay away from latex tapes, but some tapes bother me anyway although they don't contain latex or don't say if they do. To cover the place where my drain comes out, I have been using those clear sticky squares that they place over IVs in the hospital.derma somethings. Last time I was there, they gave me a ton of those to use. I have run out, but I don't have as big an area to tape since the drain was removed--just the place where the drain sticks out of the skin. Even those have now left a nice rash.

Paper tape is the best, but it doesn't stick. None of the others including silk tape don't bother me. It would be ok if it were for a week or so, but this is for two more months. Any ideas??

Is there a good cream to help heal this area? I am all scaley and there is a nice rashy area. It only really itches when I change clothes and when I bathe.

I am talking about a scaley area that is the right side of abdomen from the middle of my rib cage to my hip bone.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

There was a liquid we used to carry in first aid kits. I'm thinking it was tincture of benzoine?? It was sort of yellow brown ( in color & very sticky. We used to help bandages stick in wet conditions. maybe a small dab would help the paper tape stick. I have no clue if it's potentially irritating or allergenic.

mbrogier,

I can sympathize with you. The same thing happens to me when I have tape of any sort on my skin. When I had epidurals with my kids, my back was an itchy mess for at least 3 weeks afterwards. The tincture of benzoine Valerie mentioned will help paper tape stick. However, they tried paper tape for me with my last child, and I still got an itchy rash. It was not as bad, however, with the paper tape. You might want to try a mild steroid cream to help the itch and something with benadryl or other anti-itch formula to releive the discomfort from itching if that's a problem. Feel better!

Karen

Thanks, guys. I found some really big latex free bandaids in my closet. (these should be called bandages.) I also soaked in the tub with baby oil to get all that skin moist. It felt much better. I have some benadryl creme, so I'll use some today. I have some of the spray, but I've noticed that it makes the skin really dry.(I convinced my doctor that I was bright enough to bathe without getting that spot wet.)

I look like I slept in poison ivy. (not allergic to that) At least now I don't itch) I'll look for that benzoine when I go to the pharmacy. It might come in handy.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Am I correct that the adhesive squares you got from the hospital didn't irritate your skin? If so, is there any way you could get more of those. If you explained your situation maybe a sympathetic nurse could get you some, or maybe you could get them from a medical supply place.

Short of that, I would definitely try some sort of steroid (cortisone?) cream to help the rash and maybe benadryl cream or spray for the itching. Does it have to stay covered all the time? DH has to have medical treatments that require him to get an IV every 2 weeks and the tape irritates his skin. A lot of times the adhesive stays on his skin after we remove the tape which makes it worse, and we use baby oil to get the remaining adhesive off. Not sure if this would work for you though as you have to stick something right back over it and the oil would probably be a problem.

Good luck finding something that helps!

Claire