Community Message Boards
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So, Who do you have a "Get Out of Marriage Free" card for?

Originally posted by Escher

4) Gwyneth Paltrow--definitive classic beauty. Plus, I'm a sucker for an accent. Real life personality is a big detractor.

I didn't know she had an accent. What kind?

As for me, I can have whoever the heck I want and I don't have to check it out with anyone!

Yep, single.

1. Matthew McConnaughey
    2. Joaquin Phoenix
    3. James Denton
    4. Lance Armstrong
    5. Not sure of his name, but he plays the math professor on Numbers, as Rob Morrow's younger brother.
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Upon further reflection, I must add Antonio Banderas and Brad Pitt to the list along with Jon Bon Jovi.

Originally posted by Escher
    We can pop in "The Haunting" or "The Mummy" and count on having sex that night...
    Escher, you're too funny! (Though this might fall into the TMI category...)

My list would be:
    1. John Cusack- don't care who I have to fight off to get to him!
    2. Heath Ledger- "Knight's Tale" does it for me. I could just melt.
    3. Vin Diesel- slowly growing on me. That voice! Mmmmm mmmm!

My DH also has that thing for Renee Zellweger, which I don't get either. (Especially after seeing her- IMO- hideousness at this year's Oscars.) But he also really likes Gillian Anderson (aka Scully from "X-Files").
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

Originally posted by BarbaraL
    Johnny Depp's character in Pirates of the Caribbean and Chocolat
    The cute guy in Princess Bride ("As you wish")
    I totally agree to those and have to add Antonio Banderas's character in Desperado. I'm so hot into guys with long hair. But honestly I can't think of any real life people....mine are all characters in movies, LOL.

DH says his would be Uma Thurman or Charlize Theron (sp?) I know everybody thinks Charlize is hot, but I just don't get it. Same for Scarlett Johansen. I know he thinks Elizabeth Hurley is a hottie, but he says he couldn't deal with the accent.

This was certainly a hot topic today, eh?

OK, me, in no particular order:

Matthew McConnaughey
    The two guys from Without a Trace - Eric Close and I forget the other one's name
    Christopher Meloni (from Law & Order SVU)
    I don't know his real name, but Simon from Summerland (the jilted groom)
    It used to be Andy Garcia, but I think that might have waned a bit

DH has mentioned Kirstie Alley before; I'll have to ask if there's anyone else.

Jen, Clint? Really?
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

Just one on my list: Bruce Springsteen.

I used to think I had a thing for Dennis Quaid, but then I realized I really only had a thing for his character in "The Big Easy."

Never discussed who DH's choices would be, but he did tell me once that when he was a little boy, he had a crush on Rosemary Clooney.

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

Originally posted by AvrilH
    Hugh Grant - you too, you little whiner).
    I don't know if Hugh hears you, but I do! Cute, but, come on.........

Cheryl
    Cheryl

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Originally posted by Laura B
    For me, it is definitely Jon Bon Jovi!
    Pre-hair cut Jon Bon Jovi for me. He was the first on the list and the one who has never left it. Hot, hot, hot.

Cheryl
    Cheryl

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Oh dear, this will reveal just how truly mixed up our relationship is (beyond the fact that I'm the one with the shaved head and Dr Love has the dreadlocks)...

Dr Love's choice:
    Johnny Depp

My choice:
    Sarah Michelle Gellar (when Buffy is being all tough and sexy, not soppy and romantic and whiny)

Ahem.

We have discussed the whole five male/female celebrity lists, and came up with those reasonably easily. But when push came to shove and we could only pick one name, those are who we chose.

Don't really have a card like that, but if I did, I would probably put:

Johnny Depp (Cry Baby sealed the deal for me)
    John Cusack
    Kieffer Sutherland
    Jared Leto

In that order

Rob is very tactful and refuses to name celebrities but will occasionally point out people he thinks are cute. Like Giada, although he hates her hands
    Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
    Anthony Bourdain

I'm not really into "lists" like this, but if I were, I'd have to put Ioan Gruffudd on it. What a Welsh hottie . (Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be interested in women ). I suspect DH is onto me, since I bought him the latest Horatio Hornblower DVD series for Christmas, and was more interested in watching it than he was .
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

Originally posted by BarbaraL

Me, too! Love those fantasy flicks, also tales of long ago and far away (Troy, for example). Although, I tend to lust after the characters, rather than the actors.

Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen)

Boromir, Odysseus (Sean Bean in LOTR and Troy, respectively)
    Achilles (Brad Pitt's character in Troy)
    Johnny Depp's character in Pirates of the Caribbean and Chocolat
    The cute guy in Princess Bride ("As you wish")

Orlando is waaaay too young for me; besides, DD is besotted with him (actually, besotted with Legolas).

Although I don't watch Lost (DD is addicted, so it's on in my house), I love Sawyer (the cute, somewhat nasty blond, right?) He looks alot like a former boyfriend of mine in college (sigh!)-- one of the ones who got away!
    Whoops! DD reminds me I forgot Hector (Eric Bana) of Troy!
    Sean, Eric and Brad, all hard-bodied up and in warrior costumes! Wish I'd been on that set! Sigh.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by greysangel
    [B]BarbaraL - I LOVE Sean Bean! Have you seen the DVD british series called "Sharpe" ...there are like 14-16 episodes (think short made for tv movies) where Sean Bean starts as a military runt and works his way up through the ranks. The show is a bit cheesey but yummyummyyummy sean bean!

JeAnne, no, I've never heard of Sharpe. It's on DVD? Have to look for it. Sean is sooo cute!

it's on dvd...we got in on netflix. Just type in Sharpe..each episode is called Sharpe's "something" ie Rifles etc. I thought they were pretty good
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Tom Welling - Smallville. Works for me.

"Auntie, you are a good cooker." ~ My nephew, age 5

Having no DH, I don't need the get-out-of-marriage-free card, but if I did, these guys would be on my list:
    JT
    Hugh Jackman
    Sting
    Connie

Originally posted by ErinM
    Re: Gwyneth PaltrowI didn't know she had an accent. What kind?
    Maybe I'm projecting her characters too much. Actually, that's a truth for most thespians... do you have a crush on them, or the roles they play?...

However, they tend to be typecast (Mrs. Liu comes to mind)so one can mistakenly transfer personalities they play to the actor/actress rather easily.

Ultimately, since it's fantasy anyhow, it doesn't matter...

Besides, Gwyneth has more than a passing resemblence to an ex I am still fond of...
    Last edited by Escher; 04-11-2005 at 08:11 AM.
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...

5. Not sure of his name, but he plays the math professor on Numbers, as Rob Morrow's younger brother.
    I like him too...when the ads for the show started coming out I was smitten but...isn't he the guy who was in Slums of Beverly Hills? He was so icky in that..not now though.

Escher you reminded me of another: David Duchovney (sp?)

And someone mentioned The Mummy...I love the guy with the long, dark hair and tattoos on his cheeks.
    Silly is you in a natural state, and serious is something you have to do until you can get silly again.
    Mike Myers

Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color...choosing your socks by their character makes no sense and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable. anon

Looks like Mr. Cusack will be quite busy - he'd be on my list, too.

I still love Harrison Ford (not sure why- something about that man)
    and Al Pacino (I could watch the Godfather forever) I like confident men. DH is very confident about who he is and it comes across. I think that's the sexiest thing for a man, next to a great sense of humor.

I also have a thing for Anthony Keidis, though I can't figure that one out, either. I don't find him attractive, just very sexy. Like he IS sex. Okay, there's my deep dark secret.
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

Originally posted by hlao23
    Escher you reminded me of another: David Duchovney (sp?)
    Actually, I think Mr Ducovney?'s X-Files role is pretty close to the real deal (paranormal fascination excluded)

From what I've seen in interviews, the man possesses an exceptionally sharp mind. (and what a welcome relief from the Hollywood norm!)
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...

We have had this conversation lots at work. In fact, I had a recent change to my list and sent DH an email to give him the update, just in case.

DH:

1. Halle Berry
    2. Salma Hayek
    3. Janet Jackson
    4. Heather Graham
    5. Beyonce

me:

1. Johnny Depp
    2. Vin Diesel
    3. George Clooney
    4. The Rock
    5. The guy from The Mummy, not Brendan Fraser but the other guy...the Maji? And not in any other movie he's been in, especially Deuce Bigalow, just The Mummy.

Honorable Mention: Ray Lewis from the Baltimore Ravens
    "I'm looking for a dare-to-be-great situation" John Cusack, Say Anything

Fun post!

Mine would be:
    Hugh Jackman
    Viggo Mortenson
    Nathan Fillian (?? - "Mal" from Firefly at any rate)
    Colin Firth
    Alan Rickman
    Rafe Finnes (sp??) (Shindler's List, English Patient, Harry Potter)
    Oh, and the main fellow on CSI (Los Vegas)

I have no idea who's DH's would be.

Many excellent suggestions above...We call it "the pass", and ours have always been:
    ME: Howie Long
    DH: Faith Hill

Dh's would probably be:

Dita VonTeese
    Jennifer Garner
    Eliza Dushku
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Originally posted by HejazSunKat

LMAO

Your husband has the hots for Captain Janeway?! Must be the uniform. Speaking of Star Trek...I'm sure I'd have to add Jerry Ryan (aka 7 of 9 - but really more like 10 of 10) to DH's list.
    See why people don't quite believe his list? 7 of 9 supposedly doesn't even register! He claims he loves smart and elegant and big breasts aren't a big deal to him (thank goodness for me!)

And I need to add that I wouldn't throw John Cusack out of bed for eating crackers, either. But I must ask: why are some many attracted to him? His face isn't that incredible (compared to some on this list). And I suspect he wears baggy clothes for a reason. Maybe one of his characters? I was late teens when I saw Say Anything - maybe that's what clinched it.
    Avril

There's always a reason to bake.

This thread has provided some much-needed laughs this morning.

1. John Cusack

But while I am waiting in line...in no particular order...

Denzel Washington
    Colin Firth
    Chris Noth
    Bradley Whitford (I am a WW geek)

DH has always had a thing for Michelle Pfeiffer.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

DH asked me to edit my post but it's too late. When we discussed this on Friday evening, he informed me that Beyonce has fallen out of his favor (I know she'll be heartbroken ). He would like his new cards to be for Tara Reid and Lindsay Lohan - guess he's got some sort of new party girl fetish. He also insisted that I had to have someone on my list under 70, so I will add to mine Matthew Broderick and David Duchoveny (sp?). But, yes, MISSINDI, Clint's still number one.

And to whomever questioned why we are all attracted to John Cusack (he gets an honorable mention from me, as well), I agree that Say Anything had a lot to do with it. When I was in high school, I named my dog Lloyd.
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

Originally posted by jtoepfert100

And to whomever questioned why we are all attracted to John Cusack (he gets an honorable mention from me, as well), I agree that Say Anything had a lot to do with it. When I was in high school, I named my dog Lloyd.
    I have this theory that many women of a certain age are waiting for JC to show up under their bedroom window with a boom box playing "In Your Eyes."
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Love him! Or should I say, I love his character Charlie on the show. The actor is David Krumholtz, and I still can't past the fact that he's the creepy guy who stabbed Carter and Lucy on ER. BTW, he looks MUCH better with long hair.

This thread is great.

Me:
    Johnny Depp (to quote my mom, he's dirty hot)
    Karl Urban (but only from his LOTR or Bourne Supremacy days, not Zena please!)
    Viggo (again with the dirty hot)
    Marat Safin (DF still wonders why I followed the Australian Open so closely on t.v.)

Though I wouldn't throw John Cusack or George Clooney out of bed either.

His list, though he claims he doesn't have a type (hah!):
    Kate Beckinsale
    Rachel Weisz
    Keira Knightley
    any of the Corrs sisters

I happen to have an absolutely gorgeous, raven-haired cousin who's English. I haven't decided yet whether it's safe to invite her to our wedding!
    I believe in the forest, and in the meadow, and in the night in which the corn grows. -Henry David Thoreau