Community Message Boards

Thread: Red Snapper substitution?

Question Red Snapper substitution?

Wanted to make the Red Snapper Parmigiana, but local fish monger (Giant) did not have any Red Snapper. (I purchased Catfish but will freeze it if anyone has a better fish substitution.) TIA
    Here is the recipe, what fish would you substitute?
    Red Snapper Parmigiana
    Recipe By :Cooking Light March/April 1994
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Fish Make-Again
    Red Snapper

1/2 cup Chablis or other dry white wine
    1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    3 cloves garlic -- crushed
    4 4-ounch red snapper -- 1-inch thick
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    Vegetable cooking spray
    1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
    lemon wedge
    Combine first 4 ingredients in a large zip-top heavy-duty plastic bag. Add fish; seal bag, and marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes, turning bag occasionally. Remove fish from bag; discard marinade. Set fish aside.
    Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add fillets; seal bag, and shake to coat fillets with flour mixture.

Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; add oil, and place over medium heat until hot. Add fish, and cook 6 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve with lemon wedges.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 155 Calories; 4g Fat (26.5% calories from fat); 20g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 35mg Cholesterol; 281mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : I used dry vermouth in place of wine.
    Use fresh grated Parmesan cheese OR fresh grated Romano cheese.

The Complete CL Cookbook says to substitute sea bass, grouper, redfish, pompano. I think catfish would work.

I really think that most relatively firm white fish would work. Ling cod or sole would be nice; something like orange roughy might be too delicate, mahi or halibut would probably be too firm.

By the way, the recipe sounds wonderful -- thanks for posting it!

[This message has been edited by emilycat (edited 04-09-2001).]

Cod, snapper, sole, trout, and orange roughy are all lean, delicate fish that can readliy be substituted for each other in a recipe. Farm raised catfish is mild in taste but has a firmer flesh but can be cooked anyway you like so it would probably be a good substitute.

Cool

Thanks for the suggestions, went with the Catfish and it was super! A really quick but very tastey dish! A repeater at our house!!! Will try red snapper when I find it but the "catfish" worked for us...

Great graphic, SusanL!
    Glad to know the catfish worked, too.

I just made this last night. I substituted sea trout for the red snapper. It was wonderful! My kids even liked it and want it again.

SusanL
    Thank you so much for posting this recipe! My neighbor comes to fish our ponds and last weekend she caught 6 catfish-cleaned and fillet'd them-and then brought me 3 of them! I remembered how you said that the catfish was good with this recipe and so I made it tonight. Awesome! This is pretty big catfish area and I get tired of deep fried catfish all the time. This had a great flavor-thanks again!

Thumbs up

Sneezles, glad you liked it, it is on our monthly rotation!

What a great pond you must have, I am envious! I hope to put a small, really small fish pond in our backyard, but am afraid my cat or the blue herons would eat them. Oops, off topic, sorry!
    When the fish monger does have red snapper, it is really expensive, so I will be substituting catfish instead.