Community Message Boards

Thread: Help me use my dry mustard

Help me use my dry mustard

I just bought a $6 can of english mustard for one recipe (only needed 1 1/4 tsps) and don't want it to get pushed to the back and forgotten. So what can I use it for? I would post the recipe I used, but the flavor combo was really bad, and I would not recommend it to anyone else. TIA
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

What about making Eggs Benedict? Holladaise sauce requires dry mustard....

You can sub it in any recipe calling for prepared mustard (you might need additional liquid, use 1 tsp for each tbs called for and add 1 tsp of water for each tsp of dry mustard used), use it in dry rubs for pork, make your mustard...

Honey Mustard

This mustard will keep for up to 3 months in a tightly closed container in the refrigerator.

1/2 cup dry mustard
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1 egg
    1/3 cup honey

Combine the mustard and vinegar in a small bowl; whisk to remove any lumps. Cover and let stand at room temperature for a least 4 hours or overnight.
    Pour the mustard mixture into a blender, add the egg and honey. Blend until smooth.
    In a double boiler over simmering water, cook the mustard mixture, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens to a pudding consistency, about 5 minutes. Remove the top pan from the double boiler and let the mustard cool for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour the mustard into a sterilized glass jar; cover and refrigerate.
    Makes about 1 cup.

*You may substitute the egg with 1/4 cup cholesterol-free egg substitute.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

More mustard recipies - I've made the first and last (both good) but not the middle - they make great Christmas gifts along with a batch of homemade pretzels.

Dijon-Style Mustard From Sara Moulton's Cooking Live

3/4 cup hot mustard powder (I used Coleman's)
    1/4 cup cold water
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1 cup dry white wine
    1/2 cup minced yellow onion
    1/4 cup minced shallots
    3 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 bay leaf
    2 teaspoons black peppercorns
    4 whole juniper berries
    2 tablespons cold fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons kosher salt (which I omitted)
    2 teaspoons sugar

Hot Mustard Spread

1 cup cider vinegar
    4 ounce can Coleman dry mustard
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup pure maple syrup
    2 eggs, beaten

Combine vinegar and mustard, mix well and refrigerate, covered, overnight.
    Place mustard mixture in top of double boiler.
    Add sugar, syrup and eggs, mix well. Cook 15 to 20 min. (until thick), stirring constantly.
    Refrigerate until time to serve.

Makes 3 cups and lasts in refrigerator for several months.

I've been experimenting replacing the Coleman mustard with Penzey's. But I couldn't give you exact amount. When I measure out 4 oz. of Penzey's it's really not enough. I'm not sure why. I "eyeball" it but since you never made mustard before, I would stick with the recipe. Enjoy!

In a bowl stir together the mustard and water to make a paste (it will be a very thick paste). In a saucepan combine vinegar, wine, onion, shallots, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns, and juniper berries and bring mixture to a simmer over moderate heat. Simmer mixture until reduced by two thirds. Strain mixture, cover and chill.

Stir the chilled vinegar reduction into the mustard paste. Add the lemon juice, salt and sugar and stir to combine. Let mixture stand for at least 20 minutes. Transfer the mustard mixture to a clean saucepan, bring to a simmer over low heat and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Transfer to a sterile jar and seal tightly, and store in a dark, cool place for at least a month or up to 6 weeks, before using. Mustard will mellow with age.

When it has reached your desired mellowness, refrigerate and it will keep for about 6 months.

Dijon Mustard

2 tsp sugar
    2 tsp kosher salt
    2 T chilled lemon juice
    2 tsp black peppercorns
    1/2 c ground brown mustard
    1/4 c ground yellow mustard
    1 tsp gin (or 2 tsp juniper berries)
    1 Bay Leaf
    3 T minced garlic
    1/4 c minced shallot
    1/2 c minced yellow onion
    1 c Dry white wine (I usually use a Sauvignon Blanc)
    1 c Cider Vinegar
    1/4 c Cold Water

1) Make a paste with mustard powders and water.

2) Reduce by 2/3 combination of wine, vinegar, onion, shallot, garlic, peppercorn, gin, and bay leaf over medium heat.

3) Strain/Cover/Chill reduction

4) Combine in the pan the reduction, mustard paste, sugar, salt, and lemon juice; mix and let stand for 30 minutes

5) Simmer for 15 minutes.

6) Jar it and put it on a shelf in a cool out-of-the-way place.

Optimum results occur after about a month of aging. Of course, my idea of optimum and yours may be different, so check it every two weeks or so. If it's too wet, mix in some additional dry mustard; too dry, then add in some vinegar; too tangy, give it some more aging time.

Once it's where you want it flavor wise, refridgerate it to stop the mellowing process. It'll keep for a long while.
    Anne

I use dry mustard when I make deviled eggs.

Originally posted by sneezles

Honey Mustard

This mustard will keep for up to 3 months in a tightly closed container in the refrigerator.

1/2 cup dry mustard
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1 egg
    1/3 cup honey

Combine the mustard and vinegar in a small bowl; whisk to remove any lumps. Cover and let stand at room temperature for a least 4 hours or overnight.
    Pour the mustard mixture into a blender, add the egg and honey. Blend until smooth.
    In a double boiler over simmering water, cook the mustard mixture, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens to a pudding consistency, about 5 minutes. Remove the top pan from the double boiler and let the mustard cool for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour the mustard into a sterilized glass jar; cover and refrigerate.
    Makes about 1 cup.

*You may substitute the egg with 1/4 cup cholesterol-free egg substitute.
    Susan, I can't believe you've posted this because it's a mustard I've made for almost 25 years, although in my handwritten book it's called "Mark W's Mustard" after the boyfriend I got the recipe from....and it IS wonderful stuff!!!

Bob

We use it when we make dry rubs for meats. Here's a couple I found on the net:

BARBECUE DRY RUB
    Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
    1/4 cup paprika
    2 tablespoons granulated garlic
    2 tablespoons granulated onion
    2 teaspoons peppercorns
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    2 tablespoons cumin seed, toasted
    3 tablespoons coriander seed, toasted
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    1/4 cup light brown sugar
    1 whole chicken, cut in pieces

Combine all ingredients in a clean coffee grinder. Rub on chicken directly or coat in a plastic storage bag. Make sure chicken is dry before applying.

Yield: Approximately 1 1/2 cups
    Prep Time: 12 minutes

BOBBY'S DRY RUBBED RIB-EYE STEAK WITH MESA BBQ SAUCE AND YUKON GOLD POTATO GRATIN
    Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay
    Rub:
    1 cup ancho chile powder
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon dried coriander
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons dry mustard
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.

4 rib-eye steaks (8 to 10 ounces each)
    1 cup dry rub
    Olive oil
    2 cups Mesa BBQ Sauce, or your favorite

Heat grill pan over high heat. Rub each steak on 1 side with the dry rub. Brush with olive oil and grill, rub-side down for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown, turn over and continue grilling for 4 to 5 minutes for medium-rare doneness. Turn the steaks over and brush the rub-side with bbq sauce, turn over and grill for 1 minute. Remove from grill and brush with additional bbq suace.

Yukon gold gratin:
    2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
    6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
    1 cup chicken stock (if canned, low sodium)
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
    1/2 cup queso anejo cheese
    Fresh cilantro

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch square pan and sprinkle garlic over bottom of pan.

Arrange 1/4 of the potatoes in the dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then 1/3 of chilies and 1/3 of cilantro. Repeat layer of potatoes, chiles and cilantro 2 more times, seasoning potatoes with salt and pepper. Top with potatoes. Pour broth over, then cream. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover pan with foil. Bake until potatoes are tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle cheeses over potatoes. Bake until liquid thickens, about 15 minutes. Cool. Sprinkle with cilantro.

Yield: 4 servings
    Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Cooking Time: 1 hours 30 minutes
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

I used dry mustard last night on the pork loin I made. I just rubbed some on the loin, along with some garlic powder and rosemary. Simple but tasty.

I put it in mac n cheese sauce and in the tofu eggless salad.

To echo the comment about steak rubs, this is a great one using mustard:

Classic Steak House Rubbed Filet Mignon (Cooking Light, July 2004)

2 teaspoons black peppercorns
    1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    4 (4-ounce) beef tenderloin steaks, trimmed (1 inch thick)
    Cooking spray

Prepare grill.
    Place peppercorns and rosemary in a spice or coffee grinder; pulse until the pepper is coarsely ground. Combine pepper mixture, dry mustard, salt, and garlic powder; rub evenly over both sides of steaks. Place steaks on a grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 steak)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 188(43% from fat); FAT 8.9g(sat 3.2g,mono 3.3g,poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 24.5g; CHOLESTEROL 72mg; CALCIUM 11mg; SODIUM 407mg; FIBER 0.2g; IRON 3.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 0.8g

A friend posted these on another board or you can check out all these from the Colman's Web site @ http://www.colmansmustard.com/recipes.html

Roasted Corn and Pepper Jack Cheese Chowder
    Serves 6

• 1/2 lb. Butter (2 sticks)
    • 1 medium Onion, chopped
    • 3 teaspoons Colman’s Dry Mustard
    • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Thyme
    • 1 quart Milk
    • 6 oz. Pepper Jack Cheese, grated
    • 8 oz. Roasted Corn Kernels (recipe below)
    • 2 large Idaho Potatoes, 1/2" diced
    • 1/2 cup chopped Pimento
    • 2 large Bay Leaves
    • 4 oz. Bacon, diced
    • 8 oz. Low Sodium Chicken Broth
    • 1/4 cup Flour
    • Salt and White Pepper to taste

In a large saucepan, saute diced Bacon until crisp, but not well done. Then add chopped Onion till translucent, add diced potatoes, then Chicken Broth. Cook until almost tender. To the top pan of a double boiler, add the following: Milk, Flour, Colman’s Dry Mustard, chopped Thyme, Corn Kernels, Pepper Jack Cheese, Pimento, Bay Leaves. Heat above items until 160° F (approximately 30 minutes). Then add double boiler items to first pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for only five minutes. Readjust seasonings.

Roasted Corn Kernels
    • 2 fresh ears of Corn, shucked
    Coat corn with 1 Tbsp. of Olive Oil and grill on open flame (outdoor grill or open gas fire). Grill the corn for 10 minutes, turning the corn every 2 minutes. Remove and cool. Cut kernels off cob with sharp knife.

or
    • 2 fresh ears of Corn, shucked, kernels removed from the cob
    In a small saute pan, add 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil and heat. Add the Corn kernels and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.

or
    • 2 fresh ears of Corn, husks on
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place ears of Corn directly on the oven rack and roast for 30 minutes or until corn is soft. Peel down the husks and cut kernels off cob with sharp knife

East West Burgers
    Serves 4

• 2 lbs. Ground Beef
    • 1 Tbsp. Sea Salt
    • 1/2 Tbsp. Black Pepper
    • 1/4 cup Chili Sauce
    • 1/2 cup finely chopped Scallions
    • 2 teaspoons Colman’s Dry Mustard
    • 2 Tbsp. Roasted Garlic Cloves finely chopped
    • 12 oz. crumbled Bleu Cheese

Combine all ingredients except for Bleu Cheese and make eight 4 oz. burgers to approximately 1/2 inch thickness. Divide Crumbled Bleu Cheese onto the middle of 4 of the patties, and then top with remaining 4 patties. Crimp edges to seal in cheese. Refrigerate for one hour. Grill over hot barbecue until desired doneness. Brush with Mustard Marinade during cooking process (see recipe below). Discard leftover marinade.

[Note: we have something similar in work buffets; sliced ham, and a mix of shredded mild cheddar, mayonnaise and mustard, spread 1/2 inch thick on a flour tortilla which is then rolled up and sliced into 1 inch slices, laid flat they look like whirls. They are delicious. These look good too, you could also do sliced turkey and swiss cheese]
    Roast Beef Roll-ups
    (makes 30 appetizers)

• 8 oz. package Cream Cheese
    • 2 Tbsp. prepared Horeseradish
    • 1 Tbsp. Colman’s Prepared Mustard
    • 5 (8 inch) Flour Tortillas
    • 30 fresh Spinach Leaves, stems removed
    • 10 thin slices roast Beef
    • 4 oz. shredded Cheddar Cheese

Soften cream cheese and add horseradish and mustard, beating until smooth. Spread about 3 Tbsp. of cream cheese mixture evenly on each tortilla. Arrange 6 spinach leaves over cream cheese. Place 2 slices of roast beef over spinach. Sprinkle with 3 Tbsp. shredded cheese. Roll each tortilla up tightly; wrap with plastic food wrap. Refrigerate minimum 4 hours or overnight. To serve, cut each tortilla into 1-inch slices.

and one for Jacqui... sounds a good one for wings
    Lemon Mustard Sauce

• 1/2 cup Butter
    • 3 Tbsp. Colman’s Prepared Mustard
    • 3 Tbsp. fresh Lemon Juice
    • 1 teaspoon Tarragon

Melt 1/2 cup butter. Add 3 Tbsp. Colman’s Prepared Mustard, 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice and 1 tsp. tarragon. Pour over chicken and bake 45 minutes at 425 degrees.
    (this had margerine not butter in the original)

I think this came from CLBB, but I'm not sure who posted (sorry...)
    Anyway, it's one of our family's favorites--and very easy.

Cucumbers Vinaigrette

2 medium cucumbers peeled and sliced into 1/8-1/4" rounds
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    2 Tblsp sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    fresh ground black pepper to taste

Combine vinegar, sugar, salt and dry mustard in serving bowl. Add cucumber slices and toss. Add pepper to taste.

Shar

I put a little in my oil and vinegar salad dressings.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

This one is from a recent Penzey's catalog--I haven't made it, but I plan to--it looks really good.

Spinach Salad
    Penzey's

8 cups chopped spinach
    1 small yellow onion, minced
    1-2 cups cinnamon nuts (recipe to follow)
    3/4 lb. bacon (12 strips) diced
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1/4 cup white wine vinegar
    2 heaping tsp. brown sugar
    1/2-1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

In a large bowl, lightly toss spinach, minced onion and cinnamon nuts. Do not let the onions and nuts settle to the bottom. In a skillet, fry bacon. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon from the pan and drain on paper toweling. Reduce heat under skillet to low and add dry mustard, white wine vinegar, brown sugar and black pepper to bacon drippings. Raise the heat and bring to a boil, stirring for 1-2 minutes. Toss the bacon bits on top of salad mixture, pour the hot bacon dressing over the greens, toss lightly and serve immediately. This salad is best served while the dressing is still hot.

Serves 6-8

Cinnamon Nuts

1/2 tsp minced orange peel, rehydrated in 2 tsp water for 10 min
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/3 cup water
    2 cups walnut or pecan halves
    3/4 cup sugar

Combine orange peel, sugar, cinnamon and water in a deep sauce pan. Bring to a boil over med high heat, stirring regularly. Add nuts and reduce heat to medium low, so the liquid is simmering. Stir constantly while the water evaporates. At first, the glaze will be shiny. As the water boils off, the sugar will form brown, crusty crystals on the nuts. When the nuts are completely coated, and all the liquid has evaporated, remove from the heat. Make sure to stir constantly to prevent the nuts from burning. Spread the nuts on a cookie sheet to cool and crisp. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.

Makes 2 cups

Shar

I also use my dry mustard in mac-n-cheese.

Whenever I have something to use up I log onto the Food Network site and put the ingredient in the recipe finder and usually come up with tons of options.

Natalie