Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with my Teenage Daughter This Summer?

Question What to do with my Teenage Daughter This Summer?

My daughter is not into sports and does not want to go to the camps that she used to attend at the YMCA. So, what am I going to do with her. I don't want to leave her alone all the time while I work b/c I am afraid that is just a disaster waiting to happen. Is anyone else in this situation, what do your teens do over the summer?

Do you think she'd like a "specialized" camp, like one for gymnastics or equestrian activities? Maybe not a camp, but lessons in horseback riding, painting, whatever? Is she old enough that you can require her to get a part-time job? Maybe even a nanny position?
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

How old of a teenager?

Last year my son (then 15, entering sophmore year) wanted to play football. Football training camp was MWF for 2 hours in the morning. With MUCH misgiving, I allowed him to sign up for the football camp and stay home by himself the rest of the time. My parents live nearby and would occasionally take him out for lunch. Worked out fine. He is a good kid and I didn't have any problems. I'm hoping that this year, he will find a part-time job for T-Th and maybe in the afternoons for MWF.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Does she like younger kids? She could do the babysitting thing. When my kids were really little I used to hire the girl across the street from us to be a mother's helper 3 mornings a week in the summer. It was great all the way around.

Or, you could help her find a job at a day camp, or even at a resident camp if she is over 16. They don't usually pay much, if at all, but they are often looking for enthusiastic counselors and aides. It's a fun way to spend the summer outdoors and being active.
    ~ I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure ~ Boscoe Pertwee

I second the recommendation for a job of some sort...either a part-time paid position with a traditional employer, a several-days-a-week nanny/mother's helper job, or a structured commitment to a volunteer place like a nursing home or the library.

I agree that a completely unstructured, relatively unsupervised summer is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Summer school? Some of the summer programs are really cool, depending on your school district.
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner

I think a job is in order! Neighborhood babysitting, dog walking, and flowerbed weeding are services that are always in demand in my neighborhood.

If she is 15 then I think a "real job" is a good bet.

Regardless, I would make some sort of activity mandatory!

Not to put a damper on the job front idea, but at least in my part of the world, it isn't that easy for a teenager to find a job.

1 - Most places won't hire you until you are 16 (many 18)
    2 - Neighborhood kids are either at home with their SAHP or at the camps she no longer wants to attend
    3 - She will need transportation to and from whatever job she manages to find (including volunteer work). Public transit and bikes only work for some people
    4 - Most people hire professional yard service.

Maybe you can strike a deal with her. Let her have 1/2 the summer without camp and 1/2 with camp. I know that by the end of last summer, my son was actually getting bored and was waiting for school to start. Never happened when he was in camp... My son did go to a two-week trip that the Y offered (and is doing that again this year).

DD will be 15 on June 27th. Money is definitely tight on my end. So if I send her to a camp it has to be reasonably priced. I already suggested a CIT (counselor in trainor) with a big NO I don't want to do that. She used to love camp - Field hockey camp and the YMCA camp. I want her to get a job. The trick is to find one. A lot of employers around here won't hire until they are 16. But I will definitely look around and make her look too. She is definitely growing up.

You didn't put a damper on the job idea. Your reasons are completely realistic. We live in the country outside of Reading, PA (we can only see a couple houses from our front door) so transportation is an issue since I work an hour away (in West Chester).

DD has definitely grown into a beautiful young girl and many kids in her school come over frequently. Which is great (they like my hot wings). I just don't want any of them hanging out at my house while I am at work. They are always more than welcome to come over evenings and weekends.

I just want her to have a happy, safe, and productive Summer.

If she can't find an outside job, you can always hire her. Give her all those projects that you have been putting off and you can pay her for those. You can either pay her in money or in something else (outfits?). She probably won't do thing exactly how you wanted them done, but it will give her something to do. I think one summer my job was to organize my mom's recipes, this is in addition to the heavy cleaning we did every year.

Originally posted by ColleenT

DD has definitely grown into a beautiful young girl and many kids in her school come over frequently. Which is great (they like my hot wings). I just don't want any of them hanging out at my house while I am at work. They are always more than welcome to come over evenings and weekends.

I just want her to have a happy, safe, and productive Summer.
    I was worried about this as well. All I can say is that my son and his friends did fine without supervision. At some point, you have to trust that you raised her well and hope for the best. Can you arrange with some of her friends for her to spend time with them at their house? What are her friends doing? Most of my son's friends were all in football camp together.

Do you live near a public pool or country club? I know that when I was a teenager, the coolest job ever was in the consession stand at the local pool. You got to see your friends, hang out at the pool all day, and all the licorice rope you can eat . A lot of the pools hire teens too young to lifeguard for these positions. But if you live too far out, that won't be an option either.
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

My sister's daughters are quite a bit older than my kids. I remember her talking about doing something with her girls during the summers they were teenagers called the "Family Olympics" to keep them somewhat busy while she and her husband worked.

There were different categories (events), and I know they included reading, meal preparation, and several other activities (some fun, some more educational). Each category had stuff you could do to earn points, and based on points they could earn a bronze, silver or gold medal. The medals had cash awards associated with them, so there was some real incentive to shoot for them.

She thought it worked out pretty well, because although they didn't work on it all the time, it gave them something to do besides sit around and watch TV, and they actually learned some useful skills at the same time.

I could probably find out more if that sounded like something you might use. I thought it was pretty creative.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

It sounds like transportation is going to be a big issue no matter what, but I wanted to second Jen's suggestion about volunteer work; it will help her get a paying job later, and she can possibly use it for college applications. The summer I was out of fifth and sixth grades I volunteered at the library for several hours a day and a friend of mine (this was about 2 years later) volunteerd at the zoo. Not saying the library or the zoo is necessarily right for your daughter, just giving examples.

I grew up in West Lawn and my mother still lives there, so I know what you're saying about transportation in Berks County.

If you have to drop your DD off and pick her up somewhere, that makes a long day. Maybe she and a friend could volunteer or work together and you can carpool. That way you could drop them off in the morning and the friend's parents could pick them up part-way through the day. Or they could drop the kids off and you can pick them up at the end of the day.

Or, would it be possible for her to work in a paid or unpaid internship with your employer a couple days a week? Then you could commute together. Another option might be for her to volunteer at a place near West Chester.
    Positive emotion trumps negative emotion every time. - Inception

Are there any hospitals in the area? When I was 14 I volunteered as a candy striper during the summer, it was only 2 afternoons a week, but it gave me something to do. When I was 15 I worked as an assistant at a daycare center 3 mornings a week, which to me was much better than working at a camp since I didn't have to work every day! Friends of mine worked as a gate attendant at the town pool, at a kennel walking and playing with the dogs, and all of us babysat. Oh, and two of my friends worked in a doctor's office of which one of their mother's was the office manager, just doing filing and such a few days a week. Maybe you could ask around to see if any of your friends are in a situation where they could hire your daughter for a few mornings or afternoons a week?

I do think its great that you are looking for something to provide her with some sort of structure over the summer. Good luck!