Community Message Boards

Thread: Barley, Brown Rice, and Lentil Casserole

Barley, Brown Rice, and Lentil Casserole

I made the Barley, Brown Rice, and Lentil Casserole. I don't know where the recipe came from, I did a search but couldn't find it. I really really liked this dish. The recipe says 4 servings but it made way more than that for me. I made it pretty much as is except that I used 2 tsp dried basil instead of fresh and I used 1 tbsp bottled minced garlic instead of fresh. I also used a mexican cheese blend.

This is really good. I wish I knew where the recipe came from so I could thank the poster for it.

Daniele

* Exported from MasterCook *

Barley, Brown Rice, and Lentil Casserole

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
    1 lrg onion -- finely chopped
    4 garlic cloves -- finely minced
    1/2 cup chopped New Mexican green chilies -- (1 4-ounce can)
    1/4 cup shredded basil leaves
    1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
    OR 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
    OR 1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 cup pearl barley
    1/2 cup long-grain brown rice
    1 cup French lentils* or brown lentils -- picked over to remove debris and rinsed
    3 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
    1/2 cup white wine
    1 tsp salt or more -- to taste
    Freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
    4 oz shredded Monterey Jack
    OR crumbled feta cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.

2. In a heavy 3-quart casserole, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion has wilted. Stir in the chilies, basil, oregano, and thyme. Add the barley and rice, stirring until each grain is coated with oil. Add the lentils, broth, wine, salt, pepper, and half the cheese. Stir well, cover the pot, and bake for 1 1/2 hours. Stir the pot halfway through the baking.

3. Uncover the pot, sprinkle the top with remaining cheese, and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese melts and bubbles.

Description:
    "Here's an easy one-dish, one-pot casserole that practically makes itself. Rich in complex carbohydrates and fiber, this is the kind of meal that helps keep us healthy."
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 632 Calories; 17g Fat (24.8% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 90g Carbohydrate; 25g Dietary Fiber; 25mg Cholesterol; 897mg Sodium. Exchanges: 5 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : 4 Main-course servings

Nutr. Assoc. : 986 0 0 27203 902153 1016 0 0 0 0 0 903920 27257 0 1326 0 26152 0
    Last edited by newcook; 04-17-2005 at 02:55 PM.
    newcook

Thanks for posting this recipe. I will definitely give it a try, although I may halve it and serve as a side dish the first time. Looks good to me, but my kids are usually skeptics.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Rich in fibre is an understatement! Looks like a tasty way to get it in, though.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

It does sound good, but this recipe is badly in need of a new name. This one makes me think of those very-earnest-early-'70s-natural-foods-movement recipes. I might give this a try, but I'll have to think of something else to call it.

Daniele, thanks for posting this. Sounds like the perfect 'bring-to-work' dish. I love those ingredients too. Although, with all the fiber, I might try it at home first before I sit all day at the office . Sue

Thanks for posting this.

I'm curious, do you think it would work without the cheese???

I think it would work without the cheese, it would then be more like a pilaf, but I think it would still be good. I brought some to my sister's house tonight, we had it as a side dish. Both my sister and her husband thought it was very good.

Daniele
    newcook

Yum! I made this tonight for a pot luck, doubling the recipe and though it made a TON, by the end of the night it was all gone. The only change I'd make is to add some nuts, pine or pecan, next time to add some crunch. Oh, and mine only took an hour to bake. When I put it into the oven, I made sure it was already at a simmer.

I used the roasted onion stock that Sneezles posted a while back in this. Also very yummy!!

Emily

Emily, What do you think about using water chestnuts for adding a bit of crunch? I haven't made it yet, but my family is not crazy about nuts, and that would make the recipe less desirable even if they like everything else about it.

I'll have to look for the onion stock recipe, that sounds great for this kind of casserole. Thanks for your review.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Ooh, I think water chestnuts would be great! I never would have thought of that.

Em

I liked this casserole, too.

I found this recipe on fooddownunder.info in July 2007. Delicious, easy, inexpensive. A great way to add lentils to our diet.

Barley,Brown Rice, Lentil Casserole

I made this on Friday and it is really really good........BUT, it does make a ton and we will be eating it for a week. Will certainly make it again....and often but will halve the recipe for the 2 of us. I made it with the feta cheese and it was excellent.

Reported!

Quote Originally Posted by emily View Post
    Yum! I made this tonight for a pot luck, doubling the recipe and though it made a TON, by the end of the night it was all gone. The only change I'd make is to add some nuts, pine or pecan, next time to add some crunch. Oh, and mine only took an hour to bake. When I put it into the oven, I made sure it was already at a simmer.

I used the roasted onion stock that Sneezles posted a while back in this. Also very yummy!!

Emily
    yum! where is the roasted onion stock recipe? lol

.•*¨`*•. ☆ .•*¨`*•.

Living Life....One Bite at a Time

www.MmGood.com

Quote Originally Posted by patty520 View Post
    yum! where is the roasted onion stock recipe? lol
    Not Sneezles but I do have this post saved in my-to-try-file.

Posted by Sneezles
    http://community.cookinglight.com/ar...p/t-72237.html

After reading the article in April's CL about eGullet.com and marking a few of the stock recipes to try. I wondered if anybody else was inspired to make their own stocks???

I've been making CL's Brown Chicken Stock for months and will never buy canned stock/broth ever again! Sunday I'm on a clear liquid diet and found 2 recipes in the Whole Foods Cookbook that I had to make. So I did this afternoon and boy are they good!!!

The Roasted Three-Onion Stock is very tasty and better than some of the roasted veggie stock I've made in the past. I did add some fresh basil and tripled the leeks but only because mine were on the small side. I haven't added the soy sauce since I thought I'd wait for each serving and probably won't use very much.

Then I also made the Terra-Cotta Stock, a wonderful stock with peppers and chiles and garlic and cilantro...think tortilla soup without using chicken. It is a beautiful terra-cotta color with a hint of heat from the chiles but not too much. I did roast the poblanos (I used more than listed in the cookbook) and used an orange bell pepper instead of red (roasted it as well). I also let the chipotles sit in some water that had been boiled for about 15 minutes. I saut�ed everything about 20 minutes and added the cilantro as soon as everything went in the stock pot.

Roasted Three-Onion Stock

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 medium onion -- chopped into large pieces
    1 large leek -- cut into 1/2-inch pieces and washed
    4 shallots -- peeled and sliced in half
    1 head garlic -- unpeeled, top sliced off
    2 carrots -- peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
    1 large tomato -- cut into large chunks
    2 1/2 quarts water
    3 sprigs fresh rosemary
    3 bay leaves
    3 sprigs fresh thyme
    1 tablespoon black peppercorns
    1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium

Preheat the oven to 400�F. In a roasting pan combine the olive oil with the onions, leeks, shallots, garlic, carrots, and tomato; toss well to coat with the oil. Spread out to a single layer and roast in the center of the oven for about 1 hour, turing every 15 minutes, until well browned.

Transfer the roasted veggies to a large sauce pot and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil, lower to a simmer, and cook slowly, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Add the rosemary, bay leaves, thyme and peppercorns; simmer for an additional 20 minutes. Season with soy sauce.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 39 Calories; 2g Fat (32.8% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 249mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 2130706543 0 0 0 0 0 2130706543 0 0 0 0 0

Terra-Cotta Stock

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 large red onion -- chopped
    2 large yellow bell peppers -- seeded, deveined then roasted and peeled
    3 small poblano peppers -- seeded, deveined, roasted and peeled
    6 cloves garlic -- peeled and smashed
    4 chipotle peppers -- reconstituted in boiling water for 15 minutes
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 tablespoon oregano -- Mexican preferred
    14 ounces chopped tomatoes -- no-salt canned variety
    1 gallon water
    8 sprigs cilantro

Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large sauce pot; saut� the onion, bell pepper, poblano, garlic, chipotles, cumin, paprika and oregano for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 45 minutes. Add the cilantro and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes. Strain the broth and season with salt.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 34 Calories; 1g Fat (21.4% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 7mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2130706543 0

------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by oliveadams View Post
    Hi dude
    reported