Community Message Boards

Thread: Help -- frozen Trader Joe's scallops

Help -- frozen Trader Joe's scallops

Hi Everyone!

I am thinking about cooking scallops tonight. Can I cook them from frozen or do I need to defrost them first? What is the quickest/best way to defrost scallops?

thanks
    K

You would need to defrost them for the recipes I've used them for -- I generally get the large sea scallops and saute them in some manner. If you were using the small bay scallops for a soup or stew, I would imagine you could throw them in frozen.

Based on Alton Brown's advice, the best way to thaw frozen seafood is with cold running water. I think Alton has water running through a colander in the sink but I can't recall.

I'm tempted by TJ's scallops...Does anyone have any thoughts on their quality? I'm always leary when it comes to seafood. I really like the large ones but I have never found a reliable source.
    Jennifer

Don't know about their scallops yet, but I've bought their frozen swordfish, tilapia and Alaskan cod and they've all been very good!

They are not as good as the luscious sea scallops I buy at a really good specialized fish store but they are more than adequate -- I generally use them in the CL Thai Scallops with Asparagus which has a lot of other flavors.

They are at least as good if not better than the scallops I could buy in a supermarket but they are obviously not as good as the really good stuff -- really depends on what your standards are.

For the price they're not bad.

I agree with Blazedog...good value for money at TJ's.

If I'm going to grill without any sauce or dressing, I might go to a fish monger and pony up $11.00 to $15.00 a pound (and up!). But for my money, you can't beat TJ's frozen scallops, shrimp, cod, tilapia, lamb chops. I've found that their quality is very good throughout.

Gotta love TJ's!
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Oops! almost forgot!

If you're still at home, put the frozen scallops in the fridge...they'll be fine by dinner. Otherwise, when you get home, just pop them into a large bowl of cold water...they'll thaw in no time at all...and safely.
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr