Community Message Boards

Thread: Tart Cherries

Question Tart Cherries

Does anyone know if it is possible to get fresh tart cherries in Los Angeles? I can't get them at Farmer's Market, I've tried to order them on the internet and can't find a place to do so. What do people use in recipes for fresh tart cherries? Canned?

John,
    I know absolutely nothing about cherries, so I'm not going to stick my foot in my mouth. Although I'm in the South Bay, I grew up near Farmer's Market and I kind of think if THEY don't have it, no one may. Did you call Gelson's or Bristol Farms? Maybe Whole Foods?
    I've got two web sites for you to check out. The Cook's Thesaurus may have substitution suggestions, and Coosemans sells specialty produce. Although Coosemans doesn't list cherries at all (much less tart ones) they've got quite a few links you might investigate.
    Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Gail (edited 06-14-2000).]

Do you mean tart as opposed to Bing? (Are Bing too sweet?)

I always use frozen, unsweetened cherries, if I can't get fresh. It's way easier than pitting!

Just check in the frozen aisle near the other fruits/vegetables.

Hi

I have an answer for you! We had a tart cherry tree in our backyard growing up (we live in Chicago), but that was unusual, and don't know anyone else who did. So I too, since I grew up eating them, still search for them. But they are only in season for a short time, and here in the Midwest, that will be very soon (in the next 2-3 weeks or so). I do find them at my farmer's market, but again, their season is short, so they only have them for 2 or 3 weeks, and then they're gone. During the rest of the year, I buy them canned (yes, canned! And they're great!). They are made by "Oregon", the can is 14.5 oz., and it is labeled "Pitted Red Tart Pie Cherries". They are packed in plain juice which I drain (not that thick jellied stuff that's in Cherry Pie filling), and they are the next best thing to fresh in my opinion. They are usually in the canned fruit aisle, but sometimes you find them in the baking aisle. I wouldn't substitute regular bing cherries for tart cherries in recipes, unless it says you can - it simply won't taste good. Bing cherries aren't really cooking cherries.

If you're not able to find the canned cherries in your area, the phone number on the can is 800-394-9333, or their website is www.oregonfruit.com. Hope that helps you!! Good luck, and do try to find them at your farmer's market - I bet the reason you've not seen them is because they're not in season yet.

Smile

I have experienced the same thing with tart cherries -- I found them last summer at my local weekly farmer's market. They were only available for two visits! I have found good canned (well, jarred actually) tart red cherries at Trader Joe's -- labeled "Trader Joe's Montmorency Tart Red Pitted Cherries.' They're packed in cherry juice. Trader Joe's website lists two LA locations -- you can check them at www.traderjoes.com. Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by BethR (edited 06-15-2000).]

Exclamation

Thank you all for your help. I'll try the canned ones and also ask my grocery to get frozen tart cherries.