Community Message Boards

Thread: soaking white beans

soaking white beans

I was soaking beans for navy bean soup, but I am wondering if I soaked them too long. I normally just soak them overnight, but we got busy and the soup did not get made. So, they soaked for two days (about 48 hours). Does anyone know if that is too long? The water was really bubbly and the beans are a little softer than normal.

I assume you had yours soaking in the fridge?

One time I soaked beans for about 24 hours but just had them in a covered Dutch oven on the counter. They grew mold! I used to think my error was soaking them too long, but I've since gathered from reading the board that people soak beans in the fridge.

I will be interested to hear what answers you get from people more experienced with bean-soaking!

I'd be concerned with fermentation and that may make the beans difficult to digest. Personally, I would toss them but if you are going to use them make sure you change the water. It's really, really, really not necessary to soak beans overnight!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Ditto what sneezles said- here is some info from ChefShop.com

"The "overnight" method is the easiest, while the "stove-top" method is the quickest.

In the first method the beans are placed in a bowl and covered with four times their volume in "tepid" water soaking the beans in cold water will toughen their skins. The beans are then soaked for three to six hours, depending on the size of the bean. Any beans that float and stay at the surface should be discarded. Soaking can be started right before you go to bed or right before you go to work. The beans will only absorb the amount of water that they need to absorb, so there is no such thing as "over soaking." If you are not ready for the beans when they are finished soaking, leave them in the water so that the skins do not dry out and crack. You can leave the beans in water for several days if necessary, but you should change the water several times a day using tepid water to prevent the beans from fermenting. When you are ready to cook, rinse the beans in tepid water you should never cook the beans in the soaking water since soaking helps break down and leach out the indigestible sugars that may cause intestinal gas."

Originally posted by Terrytx
    The beans will only absorb the amount of water that they need to absorb, so there is no such thing as "over soaking."
    Guess there are two camps on this issue as well

Central Bean Company, Inc
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!