Community Message Boards

Thread: Chocolate Malted Cookies

Thumbs up Chocolate Malted Cookies

I didn't see a review for this yet, so I figured I would go ahead and add some input...

Just made these tonight, so I'm not sure how they will hold up, but so far I'm very impressed. The changes I made were the following: instead of chocolate syrup -- I didn't have any on hand -- I added two tablespoons of cocoa powder to the dry ingredients instead. I also used 1/2 cup of regular semi-sweet chocolate chips (again, just what I had).

The dough kind of threw me at first -- very sticky/stiff and hard to mix once you add the dry ingredients to the wet. I ended up mixing it on a slightly higher power than recommended in the magazine, and also used my stand mixer to mix in the chocolate chips.

The cookies puffed up great, and actually get pretty big, so I'm not sure about the heaping teaspoon recommendation. They are just a little bit crispy on the outside, but still chewy inside. I really like the extra flavor of the malt and the cocoa powder -- its chocolatey, but not overpowering. Definitely one of the best CL cookie recipes I've made.

In the future I might decrease the salt to 1/4 or 1/8 tsp. -- I feel like the cookies taste a little bit salty, and I'm not sure if part of that might be partly due to the malt powder? Also, I found the cookies to be plenty sweet, so that might be something to consider for those who are following the recipe perfectly (ie, the syrup and milk chocolate chips will definitely increase the sweet quotient). But, I also find Texas Sheet Cake to be too sweet for my tastes, so take my advice for what it's worth.

Thanks for the input on this recipe - I certainly have my eye on it (I just have to spring for the malt powder).

A thread has been starting on this recipe actually - below is the link if you would like to look at it yourself. It includes another recipe for malt cookies as well - great it you have any leftover malt powder!

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...highlight=malt

Thanks for the lik. I did a search for "chocolate AND malt" and only got ice cream threads... I figured since "malt" is part of "malted" it would have picked up... grumble.