Community Message Boards

Thread: tips and dips for plantain chips

Post tips and dips for plantain chips

(oh my! that rhymed!)

I just fried up my first batch of plantain chips last night... I know, I know... not very CL of me, but they're so good!! And I used grapeseed oil, so I feel a bit better

Anyhow, my question has to do with storing the chips. I plan to make a big batch for my little Caribbean get together on Thursday or Friday -- but I'll need to store them until Saturday, and I don't want them getting "stale" or un-crispy. Right now my plan consists of layering them on paper towels and storing them in Tupperware...

Also, any ideas for a good dipping sauce? (They're very good with fruit salsa, but I'm serving that with dinner already.)

tanx!!

One of my favorite restaurants serves plantain chips with a black bean dip and it's wonderful. I don't have the recipe, but I guess any black bean dip would do.

Funny, I was going to suggest plantain chips and black bean dip way back on the other board, so here you go!

DIP DE FRIJOLES NEGROS
    Black Bean Hummus (not technically Cuban, but with a similar taste)

One 16-ounce can black beans, drained
    1 tablespoon tahini, optional
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    Juice of 1 lime
    1 to 2 cloves garlic, sliced
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1 teaspoon ground cumin

In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, combine all the ingredients and process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Bring to room temperature before serving. It will keep in the refrigerator for one week.

Makes 1 1/2 cups

(From Memories of a Cuban Kitchen)

Cool

Thanks for posting that recipe! It sounds exactly like the one at the restaurant! Can't wait to make it!

My Cuban Grandmother used to make these all the time. She just served them lightly salted. They were great! They have such a unique flavor just by themselves. You might want to provide this as an option.

Just a thought...