Community Message Boards

Thread: Storing Sesame Oil?

Question Storing Sesame Oil?

What is the best way to store sesame oil? Most recipes call for so little, it takes a long time for me to use a bottle--how long will it stay good and where do you keep it?

Shar

I've had a bottle in a darkish place on my kitchen counter for over a year, and it's still good.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

There are different factors to consider when talking about oils; how it was extracted and how refined. I don't refrigerate my sesame oil but then I use it a lot. You can keep it in the fridge and it should stay good for about 4 months (for unrefined) longer if it's highly refined.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I keep mine in the refrigerator, as I do any oil I don't think I'll use within a couple of months. I just take it out when I start my dinner prep, and it's usually liquified by the time I need it. If not, I run some warm water over the bottle; that usually liquefies enough to use in the recipe.

I had been keeping it in the fridge, but it got thick and I was unable to pour so decided it goes into the pantry/cupboard.

They say oils in the fridge can get just as much damage because of the condensation from taking them in and out of the fridge.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

It figures: the one time I do what I'm "supposed to" it turns out it's the wrong thing.
    Yup, I keep it in the fridge and either take it out to come to to temp or run the bottle under warm water. The last bottle I bought (shopping at 5:00 on New Year's eve!) I couldn't get to the Asian grocery so I picked up a bottle of Ka-me at the grocery store and I soon noticed it doesn't firm up (crystalize?) in the fridge. Rats, I think they cut it with canola oil. :mad: No wonder it doesn't have that intense toasty smell.

My bottle of unrefined, clear sesame oil (which I use mostly for hummus) does say to refrigerate when opened but the Asian, toasted sesame oil has no such recommendation, but I keep it with the other sesame oil in the fridge.
    Cheers! Andy

I don't know about keeping it in the fridge or not, but I remember reading that sesame oil keeps about 3 months (that's similar to what Sneezles said)... I admit I'm stretching that a bit at the moment, but can't say as I've noticed anything different about it.

I use dark sesame oil and keep it in the pantry. My mother and grandmother have always stored it this way.