Community Message Boards

Thread: How to cream sugar in KitchenAid?

How to cream sugar in KitchenAid?

For Momís Day, I made my wife here favorite, French Silk pie. To start you cream a stick of butter with Ĺ or ĺ cup of sugar. I tried doing this in my KitchenAid, but the whip just sort of pushed the butter to the bottom and sides of the bowl. Once I started adding the liquid ingredients, it whipped fine. Is it better to use a hand mixer for creaming sugar?

All came out fine in the end. She even thought it was better than Tippinís, which has been her golden standard up till now.

I use the paddle attachent when creaming butter and sugar, never had a problem.

The wire wisk attachment is for very little: egg white and cream is all I've ever used it for. When creaming butter and sugar etc, I always use the paddle.
    Lacey: So now that Superman is done at the Iron Fortress, is he going to spin his web of justice and return to the Batcave?
    Brent: You don't read many comic books, do you?
    -Corner Gas

Yes, use the paddle, and you'll have to scrape the butter down from the sides and up from the bottom with a spatula a couple of times too. It still tends to go off and stick to the sides.

I had the exact question about my new KA too, until yesterday. AB's baking book told me to always cream with the paddle. Live and learn. That's what this BB is all about.
    Avril

There's always a reason to bake.

The whisk is only used for whipping eggwhites or making whipped cream. The paddle is the "all purpuse tool.
    Speaking of the paddle, I have the white coated one. Had the same with my old KA (30 years old). Got an Artisan last year, and when I made cookies a few weeks ago, pulled up the paddle, and the white coating had broken off in several pieces. Had to dump the dough.
    Called KA told them the problem, and they shipped me another paddle.
    Curleytop

So, you're saying I should use the paddle then?

Thanks all!

Doh!

I swore I put in my first post that I had to keep scrapping down the bowl to get the butter creamed. You guys were probably scratching your heads wondering what sort of miracle happened at my house to make it all come out ok in the end.

ABSOLUTLY use the paddle. As said before, the whip is only used when beating egg whites or whipped cream. It isn't heavy enough to cream butter and sugar.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.