Community Message Boards

Thread: how to get from LAX to San Diego

how to get from LAX to San Diego

My destination is San Diego, I am trying to decide what are the best options. we live in a town where the major airport is a little over 2 hours away. I can drive there and get a direct flight to San Diego. We also have a new service here in town that offers direct flights to LAX, that are pretty reasonable, but then I still have to get to San Diego.

Is it easier to go from here to Lax? and then to San diego, but then how would I get to San Diego? Are there direct cheap shuttles airpot to airport? and if so how long does it take? I know the traffic around LA is horrible and if I drive to my major airport, its a straight shot with no traffic

TIA

Laurie

If you can get a direct flight to San Diego, do it. I can't imagine flying to LAX if you're going to SD. Its a good 2 hour drive but that's without traffic (I did it once where it took me 5 hours because of traffic). Its a straight shot and not a difficult drive, but just a pain in the neck.
    There are shuttle flights from LA to SD but I can't imagine buying another plane ticket on top of the one you already have to get, that seems like it wouldn't be very economical. (Then again, I have no idea what the prices are.)

I would fly to San Diego. I remember looking at shuttle prices from SD to Orange County Airport and those were about 90. I think to LAX they wouldn't be worth it. Driving to SD would not be a problem except for the issue of traffic, which at any moment, on any given day, can be a royal pain. If you are planning on renting a car anyway, it may not be that bad, but it depends on your flights getting back. You might consider looking into Orange County airport if you are planning on renting a car as well as it is about an hour north of SD.

thanks, for the input, sounds like its best to fly directly to SD, since I dont have traffic issues getting to our airport. and I just looked at southwest and I can do it for $176 round trip. Mschevious, you reminded me one time years ago I flew into LAX late at night (like 11 pm and had to go to northridge, couldnt believe stop and go traffice on the freeways at that time of night

Laurie

Ah, the 405...

Fly directly into San Diego! If you couldn't do that, I would recommend Long Beach or John Wayne (Orange County) as both are closer.

Have fun in San Diego!
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner

A direct flight to San Diego also gets my vote, FWIW.

I'll put this out there in case it helps anyone in the future- If a direct flight to SD isn't available, Ontario can sometimes be a good airport to try. There aren't as many flight times available as some other LA area airports, but rarely is the traffic heading south on 15 anything like the 405. You can make it to downtown San Diego in just under two hours from the Ontario airport.