Community Message Boards

Thread: Stuffed Mushrooms (from Penzey's)

Thumbs up Stuffed Mushrooms (from Penzey's)

These were a big hit--not one left! I took the suggestion and made some in the oven and some in the micro--couldn't really tell any difference, and micro is much easier. I used baby portabellos which I will definitely do again.

Stuffed Mushrooms (Penzey's Spices, Holiday 2002)

A perfect appetizer for a holiday party or summer picnic. These are especially nice because they don't need to be baked in the oven...This is one of the few dishes where we actually prefer the way they turn out when microwaved - try some both ways and decide for yourself.

10 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
    2 (12 oz) packages button mushrooms
    1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup)
    2 tblsp butter
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp granulated garlic
    3 slices white bread, processed into soft crumbs
    2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated

Fry bacon until crisp, then crumble. Set aside. Rinse and dry mushrooms. Break off stems and set aside. Place mushroom caps on micro-safe plates, cover with plastic and refrigerate. Mince mushroom stems and onion. Heat butter in frying pan over med heat and saute stems and onion about 5 min. Add salt, pepper and garlic. Stir to blend. Turn heat down to low. Add bread crumbs, bacon and cheese to mushroom mixture. Mix until cheese melts and ingredients stick together. Using a teaspoon, stuff the mushroom caps with the filling, mounding it fairly high. Microwave, uncovered, 3-5 min. on high (depending on the size of the caps) or bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20-25 min. The mushrooms are ready when the caps are soft and there is quite a bit of juice on the plate.

(My notes: Using baby portabellos, cooking time is slightly longer. Portabellos have less liquid as they cook and are firmer. Oven or micro they look the same. Filling stayed in place and did not run over as they cooked. I also added a *bit* of cayenne)

Shar
    Last edited by sharris315; 05-15-2005 at 07:58 AM.