Community Message Boards

Thread: ??How to adjust baking time and ingredients for smaller cheescake recipe

Question ??How to adjust baking time and ingredients for smaller cheescake recipe

I have a small springfrom pan (7-8 inches) that I would like to use for smaller cheescake desserts and cheesecake appetizers, but recipes are always for a much larger pan. Any ideas on how to adjust the ingredients and cooking times? I thought about filling the larger pan that the recipe calls for with water and measuring how many cups it holds, and then adjusting downward for the ingredients, but I don't know if that will do it, and I don't know what to do about the baking temp and time. Any ideas?
    Also - the appetizer that I want to make is a savory cheesecake that uses crushed Wheat Thins for the crust and lots of mascarpone cheese, cream cheese and sour cream - with basil pesto and sundried tomatoes swirled through it (NOT from Cooking Light!!) Any thoughts on how to lighten it up would be appreciated as well!!

In case anyone is interested, I found the following directions in a Cheesecake cookbook, which tell you how to adjust a recipe that calls for a 9-inch springform pan so you can use a different size pan. Simply find your pan size on the chart below and multiply all the ingredients in the recipe by the number in parenthesis that corresponds to your pan size.
    Pan size:
    12-inch (1.8)
    10-inch (1.2)
    9 1/2-inch (1.1)
    9-inch (1.0)
    8 1/2-inch (0.9)
    8-inch (0.8)
    7-inch (0.6)
    6-inch (0.4)
    4-inch (0.2)
    think this is from another thread on cheesecakes. I copied it since I knew I would never remember just where it was.

Thanks JJeanette. That will be a big help.

I posted that conversion chart, but the book I found it in did not give any hints on how much to decrease the cooking time for the smaller cheesecakes. When I make 6-inch cheesecakes, I think I cut the baking time in half and just starting checking at that time to see if I think it is done.

Hi,

JJeanette, thanks for posting the information on different size cakes.

Ed

Cool

Thanks everyone- I'll work with the conversion chart and just watch the cakes as they bake for the correct time.