Community Message Boards

Thread: Leftover cookies?

Leftover cookies?

so, a friend has emailed me with the following problem - "Almost everyone brought store bought cookies in a plastic
    container. So now I've got all these leftover cookies. What can I do
    with them. There must be something I could do with them to recycle them
    into a fresh dessert? Do you have any ideas? I've got chocolate chip,
    white chocolate chip, chocolate chocolate chip, and oatmeal raisin. A
    pie crust for some kind of pie?" and I am stuck with what to tell her... Any ideas, other than eating them all plain?

TIA

Would a local food bank take something like this? Or do they only take unopened things? Val posted this chocolate chip cookie cake that looks good but I don't know what to do with the rest.

Cookie Lover’s Layer Cake

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE CAKE:
    8 ozs Chips Ahoy! cookies
    2 ¾ c all-purpose flour
    2 c sugar
    3 ½ tsps baking powder
    1 ½ tsps salt
    ¾ c Crisco or Butter-Flavored Crisco
    1 1/3 c whole milk -- divided
    2 ½ tsps vanilla
    3 eggs -- unbeaten
    ½ cup miniature chocolate chips

COOKIE DOUGH FROSTING:
    cookie dough:
    ¼ c butter -- softened
    ¼ c brown sugar, plus 2 tbsp
    2 tsp water
    ½ tsp vanilla
    ½ c flour
    ¼ tsp salt
    1/3 c miniature chocolate chips
    frosting:
    1 ½ c heavy whipping cream
    8 ozs cream cheese -- softened
    ¾ c granulated sugar
    1/8 tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease two 9-inch round baking pans. Break the cookies into pieces about 1/2 inch in size. Set aside.

Place flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir with a whisk to combine. Add shortening, 1 cup of the milk, and vanilla; beat for 2 minutes. Scrape bowl and spatula as needed during the mixing process. Add eggs and remainder of milk; beat 2 minutes longer. Fold in chopped cookies and 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake at 350 for 28-30 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched lightly in the center and a toothpick comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Cool for 10 minutes in pans on a wire rack. Flip the cakes out of the pans and let cool completely on wire racks.

Cookie Dough Frosting:

Cookie dough:
    While the cake bakes, prepare the cookie dough. Cream the butter and 3/8 cup brown sugar in a small bowl. Add water and vanilla and mix well. Add flour and salt and stir to combine. Stir in 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips. Wrap the dough in waxed paper and freeze until firm, about 30 minutes. Break dough into 1/4 teaspoon sized chunks and place the chunks on a plate or in a plastic container, separating layers with waxed paper. Return them to the freezer until ready to use.

Frosting:
    When the cakes are completely cooled, make the frosting. In a medium bowl, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form; set aside. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream. Measure out about 1 1/2 cups of frosting and place in a separate bowl. Stir half of the cookie dough chunks into this reserved frosting. Put one layer of the cake on a plate. Frost the top of this layer with the frosting/cookie dough mixture. Place the second layer on top of the first and frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining frosting. Sprinkle the remaining cookie dough on the top layer. Store the cake in the refrigerator. (The cake seems to be best on the second day, or at least a few hours after it is frosted, so feel free to make it ahead.)

Serves 18
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

You can definitely freeze them and use them as needed.

One idea would be to make ice cream sandwiches by squishing a scoop of ice cream between two of the cookies. You could even make some of those ahead, wrap in plastic wrap and refreeze until serving time. That would help soften the cookies if they are crisp as opposed to soft.

You can also make s'mores using the cookies instead of graham crackers.

If you put a roasted marshmallow between two oatmeal cookies, it is similar to an oatmeal pie. (We made those as an alternative to s'mores at a GS campout once, and they were a hit.)

Hope that helps!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

"Leftover" and "cookies" are two words you'd never hear in the same breath at my house.
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

-crush them and use them as a crust for a cheesecake or mini-cheesecakes.

-crush them and roll ice cream balls in them (kind of like "fried" ice cream). Serve with sundae toppings. Or you can combine the crumbs with nuts, coconut, sprinkles, etc. and roll ice cream in that.

-mini cookie pizzas. Spread with cream cheese frosting and top with fruit.

- cut into chunks and mix them into ice cream

- parfaits? get a big bowl/glass, and put ice cream or pudding, then cookie crumbs, fruit, and whipped cream/whipped topping. Or make it into a trifle.

- how about a crust for an ice cream pie? Perfect for summer!

Can you tell I love cookies????