Community Message Boards

Thread: Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm making deviled eggs. My filling is too runny!! WAHHHHH!!!

What can I do? I have 24 eggs I'm filling!!! I don't know how I did that, I guess I just overestimated the mayo/mustard. Should I just hardboil some more eggs? I have quite a bit of filling and probably only have like 6 eggs left! Any way I can thicken it???

Thanks you guys!!!!!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

I would probably just boil up another 1/2 dozen eggs and go from there. Good luck!

Ok i'll put them on now....and see if anyone has any other suggestions! TIA!!!!

Ditto on boiling some more eggs and add the yolks to what you've done so far.

I read once that you could use mashed potatoes in place of the hard-boiled yolks, in case you have some mashed potatoes hanging around! It sounded strange to me though.

I'd have gone with more eggs as well. Depending on how runny the filling was though, I have a recipe for Bacon & Cheese Deviled Eggs, and if it was only a little runny, you could have added some cooked, crisp, chopped bacon and shredded Cheddar cheese (those eggs were yummy!). What did you end up doing?
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

You could try adding some minced celery and onion to bulk it up. Though maybe you already have these in the mix? I love deviled eggs with celery in. Good luck!

Wow thanks for the good ideas. I didn't have any bacon, but I did have celery, cheese, etc. had I thought of that.

I actually just added the extra yolks to a little more than half my runny mixture and it came out just barely ok! I just topped them with green onions and a few bacon bits. They were gone. I'll post a separate review of my dishes, the basil shrimp I made was absolutely fantastic!!!

Originally posted by schuh

I read once that you could use mashed potatoes in place of the hard-boiled yolks, in case you have some mashed potatoes hanging around! It sounded strange to me though.
    The recipe for deviled eggs in Rick Bayless's Rick and Lanie's Excellent Kitchen Adventures does use mashed potato. I thought it sounded odd (haven't made the recipe,) but now I suppose it's to avoid a runny yolks problem. He has you cut up a medium-sized red skinned boiling potato and cook it along with six eggs. You mash the potato with the mayonnaise, mustard, and relish, and then mash the yolks into that.

Try this

I just had the same problem, and mixed in dry nonfat milk - worked like a charm!

I use the mashed potato flakes (unseasoned -- just dried potato flakes) and powdered milk in baking and have borrowed them for soups. Not sure I would have thought of it for deviled eggs, but sounds like the potato flakes would be a great idea. I probably would have boiled more eggs if I had them.

Wow, these are some great suggestions! I'll have to remember this thread the next time this happens to me!!!

Thanks, guys!!!
    I take life with a grain of salt... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Visit my blog at: http://www.lifewithlynnb.blogspot.com

I usually make the "dressing" (mayo/mustard with seasoning) separate from my egg yolks first. Once it has the flavor I want, I then begin adding it to the yolks so I can control how thick/thin the mix is more easily.