Community Message Boards

Thread: How to repair loose frying pan handle?

How to repair loose frying pan handle?

Hi,
    The handle on my 12-inch Revere Ware stainless steel frying pan has come loose. Five of the eight welds that attach the handle to the pan are no longer attached. Any suggestions on how to repair this? I use this frying pan all of the time, but it's getting difficult with the loose handle.
    Thank you,
    Cassie

This happens to my pans all the time. You should be able to see where the screw goes into the pan handle? Just get a screwdriver and tighten it up, easy as pie!
    Chris

I wish the handle were attached by screws, that would be so much easier! However, the handle is attached to the pan by metal welds; hence, the dilemma.
    Cassie

Hmm...sorry, misunderstood, or misread. Perhaps you could contact Revere and see what they suggest? Or a local store that sells pans?

Try this.....

If you are handy with power tools, and it can be just a cordless drill with drill bits should be all you need. Drill holes through the handle base where the loose welds are and all the way through the side of the pan. Now you have a nice clear hole. Buy some screws that just fit through the holes you drilled. Put the head of the screw on the inside of the pan and feed the screw through the hole and put a lock washer and a nut on the exposed end of the screw. Make sure the screw end does not protrude past the nut for safety sake. Tighten everything down nice a tight. You most likely won't need to put in as many screws as you have loose welds. Probably only one screw per side with the 4 welds.
    The other option is to find an auto repair shop or mechanic with a welder and see if they will re-weld the handle to the pot for you. Welding stainless is tricky business so make sure it's someone who knows how to weld stainless. You should be able to find a place like that in the Yellow Pages (Business directory) or even the Penny Saver if you get that where you live.
    And by all means contact Revere first. They may have some kind of warranty coverage on that. That should be your first step.

Smile

Thanks for the great idea! I'll give it a try.

I would suggest contacting revere before drilling any holes (this is assuming that you have already gone back to the store where you bought it). Regardless of the age of the pan, broken welds on a pan like that speak to defective welds. I would guess that a little research on the web and some well placed letters/emails (VP of Customer Relations or something of that nature) will get you a new pan. Be polite, factual and indicate that when you bought the pan you expected it to last a lifetime (unless its non-stick). Also indicate that you would like it replaced. Bottom line, a properly done weld should perform as if it is one piece of metal.
    Richard.

Smile

RPM you wrote:
    "I would suggest contacting revere before drilling any holes "

You may have noticed that mentioning to contact Revere was the very last thing in my post so it would remain most fresh in Cassie's memory. The other suggestions were in case she didn't receive the kind of service she should from Revere.
    Both of those are last resort solutions, and are not intended to replace contacting Revere first.

Yes, sorry to not acknowlege your statement. CassieP's response sounded like she was already chucking up the drill bit.
    Richard

I contacted World Kitchen, Inc. (Revere Ware is one of their product lines) via email and got redirected to call their Help Center. Although the representative couldn't identify which particular pan I had, she thinks the pan is probably over 25 years old and, hence, out of warranty. They have no facilities that do repair work like this.

I'll probably pursue the drilling/screw attachment idea. Thanks to everyone that replied to my post! I appreciate your help.

-CassieP