Community Message Boards

Thread: What do I do with turkey tenderloins?

What do I do with turkey tenderloins?

I bought turkey tenderloins this week since I'd never seen them before and I thought I'd try them. Then I realized I have no idea what to do with them! Can I use any boneless skinless chicken breast recipe?

Any ideas are welcome!

TIA!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I think that generally, yes, you can use them in place of chicken.

I made these not too long ago and they were pretty tasty (if you like mushrooms!):

Open faced turkey sandwiches with mushroom gravy

1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
    1/2 tsp. kosher salt
    1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper

4 turkey cutlets 1/4 inch thick, about 3 ounces each

3 Tbsp. butter
    1 large shallot, sliced thinly
    6 oz. shiitake mushrooms
    2 large green onions, thinly sliced

1/2 cup cream sherry
    1-1/2 cups chicken broth
    3 Tbsp. flour

Crusty bread, lightly toasted and buttered

Sprinkle turkey with thyme mixture, pressing to adhere.
    Melt butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey and saut until lightly browned and cooked through, about 1-1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.

Add shallot and mushrooms - saut 2 minutes. Add green onion, sprinkle with flour; stir 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in broth and sherry. Increase heat to high and boil until gravy thickens, whisking constantly, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Return turkey and any accumulated juices to gravy; simmer 1 minute to heat through. Season with salt and pepper.

Top each bread slice with 2 scallops and gravy.

I've made this before with them. CL has a couple of recipes for Paprikash, this one is pretty good.

Turkey Paprikash
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 (8-ounce) carton plain low-fat yogurt
    1 (8-ounce) package medium egg noodles, uncooked
    Vegetable cooking spray
    2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    1 cup slivered onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 pound turkey tenderloin, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    1/3 cup no-salt-added chicken broth
    2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

Combine tomato paste and yogurt; stir well, and set aside.
    Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
    Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; add oil, and place over medium heat until hot. Add onion, garlic, and turkey; saut 5 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink. Add broth and next 3 ingredients, and stir well. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 1 minute. Stir in yogurt mixture and egg noodles. Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup) CL March 95
    (`'�.�*�*�.�'�)
    � ** Schmee** �
    (�.�'�*�*`'� .�)

"The sea was angry that day, my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli."
    ~George Costanza

One of my favorite recipes is very simple but gives a great fresh flavor. It may seem like a lot of oil, but it's really just for marinating, so you're not actually eating all of it.

Grilled Lemon and Garlic Turkey
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1 garlic clove, crushed and finely chopped
    1 tablespoon dijon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme leaves (although I just use the plain dried thyme I always have on hand)
    ground white pepper
    4 turkey tenderloins

Place lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, mustard and thyme into a bowl and stir to combine.. Season with a little ground white pepper. Add the turkey and toss them in the marinade to that they are well covered. Cover and refrigerate for one hour.

Remove turkey from marinade and discard the marinade. Place the turkey on a hot grill for 3 minutes, turn and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.

Notes: I haven't actually grilled them. I've just broiled them in the oven for a few minutes on each side. I serve them with boiled potatoes and a green veggie of some sort. It's a light refreshing meal and easy and quick to make.

The Turkey Tetrazzini from last year (or year before?) is just great and uses tenderloins.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

I am finally finding time to look at my June/July Eating Well, and I just noticed a recipe for Turkey Cutlets with Peas and Spring Onions. Let me know if you would like me to post it!

I made the open face sandwiches that Canice posted instead of what I had on my menu. It just sounded like something my family would really go for, and they did. It was great.

Originally posted by biondetta
    One of my favorite recipes is very simple but gives a great fresh flavor. It may seem like a lot of oil, but it's really just for marinating, so you're not actually eating all of it.

Grilled Lemon and Garlic Turkey
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1 garlic clove, crushed and finely chopped
    1 tablespoon dijon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme leaves (although I just use the plain dried thyme I always have on hand)
    ground white pepper
    4 turkey tenderloins

Place lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, mustard and thyme into a bowl and stir to combine.. Season with a little ground white pepper. Add the turkey and toss them in the marinade to that they are well covered. Cover and refrigerate for one hour.

Remove turkey from marinade and discard the marinade. Place the turkey on a hot grill for 3 minutes, turn and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.

Notes: I haven't actually grilled them. I've just broiled them in the oven for a few minutes on each side. I serve them with boiled potatoes and a green veggie of some sort. It's a light refreshing meal and easy and quick to make.
    biondetta,
    Thanks for sharing this recipe. Made these tonight and they were delicious. I usually think of turkey as a fall/winter meat, but the tenderloins with the strong lemon thyme flavor was wonderful - light and refreshing, just as you said!

Oh I like the sound of the open faced sandwiches. A great take on the traditional of using leftover turkey on Thanksgiving. I don't normally buy these but I may have to give them a try. I also agree that you could sub. the turkey for chicken in most recipes.

Being summer and hot, they would be great over top of a good dressed salad.

I used them in a CL recipe (that I can't find right now!) that calls for pork tenderlion. It requires sliceing them into disks, and pounding them a little, dip them in flour-salt and pepper, and sautee.

Then you remove them and make a sauce with apple juice, chicken broth, onions, sage etc, then add sliced apples and cranberries. Then you put the meat back in.

It's delicious, tastes like thanksgiving with out a lot of the work. Anyway, it's really easy, and hopefully I can dig up the recipe, or someone else can.

biondetta,
    Thanks for sharing this recipe. Made these tonight and they were delicious. I usually think of turkey as a fall/winter meat, but the tenderloins with the strong lemon thyme flavor was wonderful - light and refreshing, just as you said!
    MegO'C, glad you enjoyed it! It really is such a tasty dish. I've been eating various turkey tenderloin dishes over the past few years for weight purposes, and I've come to think of it as a very light meat -- perfect for spring and summer. That particular dish is good with some boiled potatoes, cubed and mixed with a little butter/olive oil and parsley, and a spinach salad to go along with it.

The funny thing is that I got that recipe from an ad for turkey tenderloins in an Australian cooking magazine! Delicious magazine is so good that even their ads are tasty!

If you go to FoodTV.com and do a search for turkey cutlets there are quite a few good recipes that come up. I like Rachael Rays' recipe with Corn, Sage ,and Prosciutto...Steph

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cook..._25713,00.html