Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with leftover cream of coconut ?

What to do with leftover cream of coconut ?

I'm planning on making Missindi's Chicken Satay tomorrow night. Before I open the can of cream of coconut I was hoping for some ideas on what to do with the leftovers. The recipe only uses 1/4 cup. Any suggestions?
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

I take it you're not a Pina Colada fan?

Oh...I was going to tell you to make the Satay Chicken! When I made it this past weekend, I didn't think that I had enough sauce for all of the chicken. I would have like to have a little bit of sauce leftover to go with my rice. So, my suggestion would be to double the recipe for the sauce and that will use up a little more of it!

Also, I think that you will enjoy this recipe enough to make it again before the cream of coconut goes bad. I froze the leftovers and these past few days I have have used the chicken as part of sandwiches and with salads...very good!

Let me know what you come up with though as I bought quite a large jar!
    ERIKA (a dairy-free, and almost soy-free kind of gal)

"I don't know where she got her cooking skills from. I barely have the patience or skill to cook noodles. I'll tell you one thing, though, all she ever wanted to do as a kid was bang on pots and pans." - my mother

Here's a website with some ideas....

Cream of Coconut Recipes
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

Freeze It

I have this problem often. I use a small freezer container and pop it right in. If I plan ahead well enough (not often) I'll take the container out before I need it but most times I just pop it in the microwave to defrost the coconut as I need it.

- robin

Oooh! Chocolate-Coconut Fondue!

Chocolate Coconut Cream Fondue

Made this for a Valentine's Day dinner for my husband - it was really, really scrumptious - assuming you like both coconut and chocolate, I highly recommend it to you - It's from BA.

Do you have an ice cream maker Katharine? If so, this is very good (but if anyone runs it through MasterCook,
    I don't want to know <puts fingers in ears, sings La La La La I Can't Hear You)

COCONUT CUSTARD ICE CREAM

4 large egg yolks
    cup superfine sugar (see note)
    1 cup half & half
    cup cream of coconut, such as Coco Lopez, not coconut milk
    2 cup whipping cream, well-chilled
    dash of salt
    cup sweetened shredded coconut

In a metal bowl, with an electric hand mixer, beat the egg yolks, sugar, half-and-half and vanilla. Set the bowl over a pan of hot water and place on medium heat until water comes to a boil. Beat the mixture until it is thickened and about double its original volume, about 10 minutes. Beat in the coconut cream. Place the bowl in a tray of ice cubes and continue beating until the mixture is cold. Add the whipping cream and salt, and beat the mixture well. Fold in the coconut. Transfer the mixture to your ice cream machine, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
    Note: If you can't find superfine sugar, process granulated sugar in blender until very fine.

Originally posted by knunes
    My first thought as well (and second...and third... ).
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

Chocolate Rose -- funny, my first thought when I saw the thread title was "make my chicken satay!". Now with all the great suggestions here for the leftover cream of coconut, this is going back on the menu this weekend.
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

Originally posted by knunes

Mmmmmmmm, Pina Coladas. Haven't had one in a LONG time!!

Thanks for all the suggestions and links!

Robin, I'm glad to know that it can be frozen!!

The fondue and ice cream recipes look AWESOME!!!

Now for the tough decision!!

Missindi, it sounds like maybe I'm going to have to keep cream of coconut in my pantry. I can't remember what I actually bought the can for. I'm just glad it's there waiting for dinner tonight.

When I was young, we would serve it over ice cream. So yummy!

Chocolate Rose, did you make it?
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

Freeze it. Pull it out on a hot day and take a spoon to it. This is DH favorite.

Originally posted by MISSINDI
    Chocolate Rose, did you make it?
    I DID! BUT...
    ...my coconut stuff was "Coconut Cream" not "Cream of Coconut". By the time I realized that I didn't have the right stuff I was already committed to making the recipe. I have no idea what coconut cream is since the ingredients (coconut milk and water) sounds a lot like "coconut milk" to me.

The flavor of the satay was awesome but I bet that my sauce was a LOT thinner than it was supposed to be. If I would have been thinking, I would have left out the 1/4 cup water.

Now I NEED to buy the right stuff so that I can try the recipe again as well as make a dent in some of the suggestions on what to do with leftover cream of coconut. Eating it right out of the freezer sounds really good right now!