Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiestaware scratching???

Question Fiestaware scratching???

I was so excited as I recently purchased several place settings of Fiestaware (scarlet, sunflower & tangerine). I am currently storing them until our move to a new house.

Just surfing tonight, I read on another forum that the dark colors scratch signficantly, both from knife scrapes as well as placing one plate on top of another in the cupboard. I am so bummed...

Has anyone else with Fiestaware had these problems? Is there a way to minimize the scratching? I purposely looked through all the plates when I purchased them to pick the ones with no scratches. I guess I was being naive, I just assumed the scratches on the plates in the store were from heavy abuse in shipping.

Please reassure me....

Hi Luika,

my Mom uses her Fiestaware every day, and she has all the colors out there (at least the newer ones), including the dark ones. I never see them particularly scratched...I would think you have to exercise some common sense caution, like don't try cutting the dish with a knife, but besides that, she doesn't do anything special. Yes, she even stacks them. And she buys them all from Replacements.com since she is very picky about what pieces she wants.

I am just curious though...if the ones in the store had a scratch, what else could it be other than shipping or rough handling in the store? Someone using them and bringing them back?

Angela

I started collecting Fiestaware to use as our everyday dishes a few months ago. I'm shooting for 24 place settings in 12 different colors. I am finding that the darker colors do show some kind of markings. They aren't actually "scratches" but definitely some kind of a scratch-type mark. It looks to me like it's from regular use of utensils - knife and fork kind of stuff. I haven't noticed any problems caused by stacking the dishes.

I've noticed the problem particularly on the cobalt, plum, juniper, cinnabar, etc. type of colors. At first I was a bit upset, but it's not THAT noticeable and the food covers it up anyway. We're really liking the Fiestaware.
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

Originally posted by Chocolate Rose
    I haven't noticed any problems caused by stacking the dishes.
    From what I read (Amazon's feedback pages), the very bottom of the plates (where the plates would sit atop each other) is unglazed; thus, it is abrasive and scratches the plate below.

Angelina, I'm assuming the scratches in the store (I went through about 15 plates before I found 2 that were acceptable) were from inproper packaging and transport. I found these scratches in 3 different stores: Marshall-Fields, Linens & Things, and Kohls.

I know I'll really enjoy the dishes (I love the colors); I am just too much of a perfectionist sometimes

I have the dark plum colored Fiestaware and it does scratch, but not enough to make it very noticeable. I look at them as character lines...each one was earned.
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Originally posted by Jewel
    I have the dark plum colored Fiestaware and it does scratch, but not enough to make it very noticeable. I look at them as character lines...each one was earned.
    Jewel, I love the quote... THANK YOU!

Are they scratches or dark marks from utensils? Pfaltzgraff gets dark utensil marks (especially non-18/10, if I remember correctly) and it comes off with a cleaning solution similar to Soft Scrub. I think it's a stoneware thing.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

I have had the light blue (periwinkle?) for five years, and don't really notice any scratches. Recently, I purchase some cobalt pieces, and do notice scratches. Initially I was bummed, but really, the cobalt color is so vibrant that it doesn't bother me too much anymore. I just enjoy using my Fiesta!

I am finding that the darker colors do show some kind of markings. They aren't actually "scratches" but definitely some kind of a scratch-type mark. It looks to me like it's from regular use of utensils - knife and fork kind of stuff. I haven't noticed any problems caused by stacking the dishes.

I've noticed the problem particularly on the cobalt, plum, juniper, cinnabar, etc. type of colors. At first I was a bit upset, but it's not THAT noticeable and the food covers it up anyway. We're really liking the Fiestaware.
    Hmmm. Curious. I wonder if there are differences between older Fiesta and newer production. Certainly it has to have changed somewhat with time and new manufacturing procedures. I say this because I have eight complete services in four colors, all purchased around 1938, and I can't think of any significant marking or scratches, including the cobalt.

Bob

I've got all the colors that haven't been discontinued...yes, they scratch.
    They scratch because the store may have handled them poorly, they are stacked at my house, my dishwasher detergent may be harsh on them, and yes, people cut their food on them .
    At first, I freaked a bit...but as everyone else said, they are to be used and the scratches are not offensive or deep enough to warrant switching (for me, anyway).
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I haev Fiesta as well. When we got married in 1997, we got 2 place settings of 8 different colors. Since then I have added some myself like lilac, cobalt and apricot.

The scratches are more noticable on the darker colors. I think that this is just a side effect of the darker colors. Unfortunately like any well used dish it will begin to show some signs of use. I have some that is more collectable, that we don't use on a daily basis. They are hung in my kitchen as decorations and such. The rest I just look at as a sign that they are well loved.

Oh one thing.... did you all know about not using Jetdry. I use to read a lot of Fiestaware collectors boards. And they all say DO NOT use JETDRY or any dishware aid like it. Apparently it causes them to show more wear.

Maura

Lightbulb re:scratch marks

I don't have Fiestaware so I can't specifically comment on the scratches, but I wonder if the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser might work to remove or reduce the appearance of marks. I know that it works wonders on marks made from metal utensils on my laminate countertop. I would think it would remove those "gray" utensil marks on Pfaltzgraff too.

I have dark green Furio plates (from Target) which also have unglazed bottom "rings". I have always used the round rubberized sheets (like Rubbermaid shelf liner) when stacking the plates in the cabinet. I think that this has extended their life. It's a pretty AR solution, but if you are willing to take the time, it is worth it.
    "Women and cats will do as they please,
    and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." - Unknown

Put paperplates in between each plate when stacking them. This will help with part of the problem, but not the normal scratching from knives & forks. My dark plates do the same thing. Annoying.

I personally don't have Fiestaware, however, my boss owns an Italian Ceramics Store which carries Mamma Ro dishes. One of her clients noticed scratches on the white Mammo Ro dishes. After much investigation, they found out that the scratches are not really scratches, but that the silverware used reacts to something that the plate in made of. I own yellow Southern Living plates with the same problem. I use a product called "Bar Keepers Friend" that is similar to soft scrub to remove the scratches.

" fiestaware boards" ??

Wow there are boards to discuss Fiestaware ? I must be living under a rock. I have my grandmothers original dishes in the basement.I have plates, cup sauces, egg cups... I thought that it might be unsafe to use dishes so old. I thought maybe they contain lead or something?

I don't think they are scratched, the yellow has some dark lines on them though.

I have been collecting Fiestaware for years and have both new and vintage pieces. I have over 40 dinner plates just to give you an idea how large my collection is! When my kids were little they used to ask, "what are we having for dinner and what color dishes are we eating it on?". I have many vintage apricot and cream color pcs. and even those light colors show some wear. It is definitely caused, as mentioned above, from stacking and the unglazed bottoms of the piece on top of it. I love the "character lines" and think it adds charm to the dishes. I use my Fiestaware for everyday and holidays and my table is always colorful and happy looking. I also have tons of linen tablecloths and napkins in all different patterns and designs to use with my beloved dishes.
    Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.

Originally posted by merley
    " fiestaware boards" ??

Wow there are boards to discuss Fiestaware ? I must be living under a rock.
    There are boards to discuss anything and everything, many of which you don't wanna know about.

Bob

Since my Fiestaware dishes are still brand new, I am now thinking of purchasing this expandable plate rack to eliminate scratching caused by stacking the dishes.

Has anyone else tried this tactic!

I have old Fiesta and some new Fiesta and it shows wear just as almost all dishes will -- Porcelein dishes will show less wear than Fiesta type dishes because they are fired at a higher temperature.

The old Fiesta is incredibly prone to chipping as well as scratching. My new Fiesta has scratches and dark marks -- cobalt as well as turquoise.

I would suggest relaxing and enjoying it -- This is china that is meant to be used everyday and abused. Frankly life is too short for me to worry about the stacking the china I use everyday on rubber.

My grandmother's Limoge gets special treatment but not the Fiesta I picked up at Macy's. If it gets too disreputable I will spring for the minimal dollars to replace it -- it is after all meant to be fun everyday inexpensive stuff.

Originally posted by blazedog
    I would suggest relaxing and enjoying it -- This is china that is meant to be used everyday and abused. Frankly life is too short for me to worry about the stacking the china I use everyday on rubber.

My grandmother's Limoge gets special treatment but not the Fiesta I picked up at Macy's. If it gets too disreputable I will spring for the minimal dollars to replace it -- it is after all meant to be fun everyday inexpensive stuff.
    As evidenced by this thread, everything has different meanings for everyone. My Fiesta comes from my Aunt/godmother who more-or-less raised me, not Macy's. She bought it before her wedding, a marriage that lasted 65 years. I don't use it every day and, in fact, it came into more use after the fire when I felt I needed to bring some good Karma into my kitchen, so....treat your Limoges any way you like, but I'm only going to treat my not-everyday Fiesta with the greatest of care.

Bob

Originally posted by bobmark226

As evidenced by this thread, everything has different meanings for everyone. My Fiesta comes from my Aunt/godmother who more-or-less raised me, not Macy's. She bought it before her wedding, a marriage that lasted 65 years. I don't use it every day and, in fact, it came into more use after the fire when I felt I needed to bring some good Karma into my kitchen, so....treat your Limoges any way you like, but I'm only going to treat my not-everyday Fiesta with the greatest of care.

Bob
    Bob -- Please read my original message -- I DON'T treat my old Fiesta cavalierly -- it's too valuable -- probably more valuable than the Limoges

However, NEW Fiesta that was just bought is unlikely to have sentimental attachments and is fairly inexpensive and really designed to be abused on an every day bais. I was responding to the original poster -- yes my NEW stuff scratches, but that's why we have everyday fun China. I've also dropped it and broken it without my heartbreak on my part except for the hassle of sweeping up the pieces.

Presumably most of us also have finer stuff (of whatever kind - I have Limoges, Bauer, Fiesta and Russell Wright) which we treat as the fine stuff they are -- in my case handwashed and brought out for special people

Originally posted by blazedog

However, NEW Fiesta that was just bought is unlikely to have sentimental attachments and is fairly inexpensive and really designed to be abused on an every day bais. I was responding to the original poster -- yes my NEW stuff scratches, but that's why we have everyday fun China. I've also dropped it and broken it without my heartbreak on my part except for the hassle of sweeping up the pieces.

If you'd read the original poster carefully, she apparently has a great deal of concern and wants to maintain it in a certain condition. Telling her to relax and enjoy it isn't exactly the response someone who closes with "please reassure me" is looking for!

Bob

Originally posted by bobmark226

If you'd read the original poster carefully, she apparently has a great deal of concern and wants to maintain it in a certain condition. Telling her to relax and enjoy it isn't exactly the response someone who closes with "please reassure me" is looking for!

Bob
    Bob -- I was responding to your specific response in which YOU demarcated a line between everyday china (whatever that is) and that china which one treats carefully (again whatever that is).

Every day china will show signs of wear inevitably as everyone has posted -- whether it's Fiesta or other manufacturers.

You can either relax and enjoy life or devote energy in attempting to maintain it in a pristine condition. Since New Fiesta is inexpensive china which can be purchased anywhere, most people relax and enjoy it rather than devote mental and physical energy worrying about it.

Thanks for all your input. It sure seems there are a lot of Fiestaware users out there!

Just one comment... in my case, and I'm sure in others; Fiestaware is "the good stuff"... and inexpensive is relative to each person. I've now realized it may not keep its pristineness for long, but I'm just trying to do all I can to keep it looking its best.

Originally posted by Luika
    Thanks for all your input. It sure seems there are a lot of Fiestaware users out there!

Just one comment... in my case, and I'm sure in others; Fiestaware is "the good stuff"... and inexpensive is relative to each person. I've now realized it may not keep its pristineness for long, but I'm just trying to do all I can to keep it looking its best.
    Ironically Fiesta and some of the other fun china out there is not as durable as porcelein since it is fired at a lower temperature. Porcelein (except for gold/silver/platinum) trim is much more impervious to abuse.

If Fiesta is the good stuff (and I LOVE Fiesta -- just have too much of the old stuff which I use as the good stuff), then you will treat it like the good stuff and pamper it a little to keep it looking good as long as possible.

Ironically Fiesta and some of the other fun china out there is not as durable as porcelein since it is fired at a lower temperature. Porcelein (except for gold/silver/platinum) trim is much more impervious to abuse.
    I have to agree.

The everyday pattern I have stored is Royal Doulton's Vintage Grape. I used it from 1996 to 2004. Never chipped a piece, broke a piece and no scrapes on the finish.

I am now using the *NEW* Fiestaware and have chipped a couple of pieces, broken a plate, cup and saucer...all different colors.

However, I love my Fiestaware. I really love the bright colors and I was under the impression that it was unsafe to use the old because of lead(?) in the glaze or something? My husband thinks the company made that up so that the new would sell better.

So glad to see so many Fiesta lovers out there!
    Joyce
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

The original Fiestaware that first came out in 1936/37 was only made in 5 colors. I might be mistaken, but I read somewhere that pieces of Fiesta were packed as give-aways in boxes of laundry detergent (or some such product). There is a huge difference in the pricing of vintage and new Fiesta pcs. I have several different colored candle holders in the new Fiesta b/c I can't afford the vintage ones! Some pcs., like the cream soups, aren't made anymore, nor is the Ivory color which is one of the five originals. My collection of Fiesta is extensive and although I use the "newer" pcs...and some aren't that new....I rarely use my vintage ones b/c they are highly collectable and very costly to replace.
    Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.

A little OT here, but I'm curious. Those of you who use your Fiestaware everyday, does your dishwasher accomodate the bowls? I use the Fiestaware serving pieces and love them, but I've stayed away from it for everyday use because the bowls don't really fit in my dishwasher.

Just wondering . . .

Originally posted by leannebw
    A little OT here, but I'm curious. Those of you who use your Fiestaware everyday, does your dishwasher accomodate the bowls?
    Which size bowls are you concerned about?
    I've been trying to decide which size to get for kind of an all-purpose bowl. My sister bought me 4 of the Gusto bowls for my birthday. Those honkers are HUGE so I just use them for serving. They make great salsa bowls. They do fit in the dishwasher. I also found a set of 12 fruit bowls in 12 different colors (perfect for my situation) on ebay and bought those. I LOVE them. They get used constantly for all kinds of things. But, they aren't the right size for cereal, soup, etc. They fit nicely in the dishwasher.

So, what size and kinds of bowls should I get for everyday soup and cereal type of use?
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

Which size bowls are you concerned about?
    I have trouble with the regular bowls that come with the place setting. Maybe it's just my dishwasher. But the sides of the bowl come up sharply (not sloped) and they're hard to get in.