Community Message Boards

Thread: Beef Loin Tri Tip Steak - what do I do with it?

Beef Loin Tri Tip Steak - what do I do with it?

I was given 4.5 lbs of Beef Loin Tri Tip Steak. What is the best way to prepare this particular cut of beef? I usually only like tenderloin for just regular grilled "steaks".

I am wondering if this meat would be good in a beef stroganoff or something marinated?

Please help....

Try this one tbb113 pointed out -- it was really good.

Cacao Nibs Rub

2 T cacao nibs
    2 tsp dried red pepper flakes
    1 tsp ground cumin
    ½ tsp ground mustard
    ½ tsp chili powder
    ½ tsp ground allspice
    1 T brown sugar, packed
    2 T Kosher salt
    1 2.5 lb tri-tip roast or skirt steak

To make the rub, combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, spice grinder, or mortar and pestle. Grind until the nibs break into particles about the size of large grains of sand. Use immediately or store in a tightly covered jar for up to one month.

Rinse and pat the roast dry with paper towels. Generously cover the meat with the rub and wrap in foil or saran wrap. The roast can marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

Remove the roast from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature. In the meantime, fire up the grill. Prepare the grill for indirect cooking, with the coals to either side. Place the meat on the grill, fat side up, not directly over the coals. The internal grill temperature should be between 275 and 300 degrees F. Grill the meat for 40 minutes. Check the internal temperature with an instant read thermometer. For medium rare meat, remove from the grill when the thermometer reads 125 degrees F. Let the roast sit, loosely covered with foil, for several minutes before slicing.

There actually have been a few of these recipes floating around this board lately. Here are two that I can think of off the top of my head....

This one was posted by swquilts

Smokey Tri-Tip with Red Wine Barbeque Sauce

Get some wood chips on the fire for this classic barbecued beef. With the right treatment of smoke and sauce, and a combination of Direct and Indirect heat, inexpensive tri-tip offers a rich reward.

For the sauce:
    ¼ c minced celery
    2 TB minced shallots
    2 TB extra virgin olive oil
    1 tsp whole cumin seeds
    1 tsp minced garlic
    ½ c dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon (I used Zin)
    1 cup ketchup
    ½ c fresh orange juice
    ¼ c cider vinegar
    2 TB Dijon mustard
    2 TB light brown sugar
    2 TB soy sauce
    ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
    ½ tsp chile powder
    ½ tsp dried oregano
    ½ tsp kosher salt
    ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
    ¼ tsp Tabasco sauce
    ¼ tsp hickory smoke

For the rub:
    2 tsp granulated garlic
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp fresh ground black pepper

1 tri-tip roast, 1 ½ to 2 lbs, and about 1 ½ inches thick
    Hickory chips soaked in water for at least 30 minutes

To make the sauce: In a medium saucepan, combine the celery, shallots, olive oil and cumin seeds. Set the saucepan over medium high heat and cook for 5 min, stirring occasionally to prevent browning. Add the garlic and cook until it begins to brown, about 2 to 3 min, stirring occasionally. Add the wine and simmer until half of the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining sauce ingredients, whisk them together, and allow the sauce to simmer for 10 minutes. This will yield about 2 cups of sauce. (I made mine ahead and let it sit for about 45 min, IMHO I think it helped).

Remove the meat from the refrigerator about 30 min before grilling.

To make the rub: In a small bowl thoroughly mix together the rub ingredients.

Lightly brush or spray the meat with oil and season with the rub, pressing it into the meat. Prepare the grill for smoking according to the manufacturer’s directions. Grill over Direct Medium heat until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes, turning once. Move the meat to Indirect Medium heat and continue to cook until it reaches your desired doneness, about 20 to 30 minutes, brushing the meat occasionally with the sauce and turning it over as well. Remove the meat from the grill and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Slice across the grain thinly and place on a platter. If desired, spoon more sauce over the top. Keep extra sauce in the refrigerator for as long as a month.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

And Canice has been circulating this one...

MARINATED BEEF TRI-TIP with BLACKBERRY AND ONION RELISH

Marinating is easy when you use a resealable plastic bag. Remove the air in the bag before you seal it, which allows the meat to be fully immersed in the flavorful marinade.

INGREDIENTS
    2/3 cup hearty red wine
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 teaspoon stone-ground mustard
    6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
    6 medium garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
    4 bay leaves
    4 sprigs of thyme
    1 1/2 pounds beef tri-tip
    Kosher salt to taste
    Blackberry & Onion Relish (optional; recipe follows)

INSTRUCTIONS
    Mix the red wine, soy sauce and mustard together. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Add the pepper, garlic, bay leaves and thyme. Add the meat, and turn to coat with marinade. Refrigerate and let marinate at least 2-3 hours, but not more than 12.

Remove the meat from the marinade and season well with kosher salt. Grill to desired doneness. Remove from heat, cover loosely with foil and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain. Serve with Blackberry & Onion Relish, if desired.

Serves 4-6

PER SERVING: 162 calories, 25 g protein, 0 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat (3 g saturated), 71 mg cholesterol, 57 mg sodium, 0 g fiber. The calories and other nutrients absorbed from marinades vary and are difficult to estimate. Variables include the type of food, marinating time and amount of surface area. Therefore, the marinade is not included in this analysis.

BLACKBERRY & ONION RELISH

This is good with pork and beef. For very tart berries, use less vinegar and/or more sugar. If you make relish ahead of time and chill, do not reheat or the texture of the berries will be lost.

INGREDIENTS
    1 pint fresh blackberries
    1 tablespoon oil
    1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar or to taste
    1 tablespoon red wine
    1/2 cup beef broth
    Kosher salt to taste
    Large pinch of freshly ground black pepper
    Generous pinch of brown sugar
    Generous pinch of chopped thyme, or to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
    Cut the berries in half, reserving a few whole ones for garnish. Heat the oil in a saucepan; add the onion and saute over medium to medium-low heat for 7 minutes, or until soft and slightly browned. Add the garlic and cook briefly.

Add the vinegar and wine, simmering until almost dry. Add the beef broth, and simmer until almost dry. Stir in the halved berries, then remove from the heat.

Season to taste with salt, pepper, brown sugar and thyme. You want just enough sugar to balance the tartness of the berries. The residual heat from the pan and onions will soften the berries.

Garnish with the whole berries. Serve warm or at room temperature, or refrigerate if not using soon. Let come to room temperature before serving.

Serves 4-6

PER SERVING: 62 calories, 1 protein, 9 g carbohydrate, 3 g fat (0 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 3 fiber.

The Smokey Tri-Tip with Red Wine Barbeque Sauce is awesome! We really enjoyed it! There is also a tri-tip recipe in the Bon Appetit Barbecue Issue that looks yummy - Beer-Marinated Tri-Tip with Blue Cheese, Wild Mushrooms, and Onions . This is on my menu for next week - has anyone tried it yet?

Originally posted by Beth
    Try this one tbb113 pointed out -- it was really good.

... Grill the meat for 40 minutes. Check the internal temperature with an instant read thermometer. For medium rare meat, remove from the grill when the thermometer reads 125 degrees F. Let the roast sit, loosely covered with foil, for several minutes before slicing.
    If your tri tip is thicker than 1" this is not going to be enough grilling time, unless you like your meat raw...otherwise it's a very tasty recipe.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!