Community Message Boards

Thread: Lemongrass Paste

Lemongrass Paste

Hey there.....
    Just got home from grocery shopping. I bought some Lemongrass paste.... now what? Any ideas of what to do with this??
    Chan
    Go on now.... Lick the Spoon!
    http://lick-the-spoon.blogspot.com/

Never heard of it, but I sure do like the idea! I love Thai-inspired soups, so that's where I'd use it. This one was a good starting point, for example, though I now put lemon grass, fish sauce, lime, etc. in it.

Spicy Coconut Soup with Spinach and Shrimp
    From Cooking Light

Curry paste and crushed red pepper give this soup a double dose of heat that's balanced by the coconut milk.

Cooking spray
    2/3 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 1/2 teaspoons red curry paste
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
    1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    6 cups torn spinach

Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; sauté 4 minutes. Add curry paste and red pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp; cook 4 minutes or until shrimp are done. Stir in spinach; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 145(30% from fat); FAT 4.8g(sat 3.2g,mono 0.3g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 18.7g; CHOLESTEROL 115mg; CALCIUM 84mg; SODIUM 384mg; FIBER 1.5g; IRON 3.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 7.8g

Here is one that I've made using fresh lemongrass. I don't know how to give you the equilivant though

Garlicky Lemongrass Chicken
    HEALTHY
    ACTIVE TIME: 10 MIN
    TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
    SERVES: 6 TO 8
    This spicy lemongrass paste is also wonderful rubbed on pork tenderloin or any firm, white-fleshed fish, such as snapper, sea bass or halibut.
    ingredients
    5 plump lemongrass stalks, inner bulb only, coarsely chopped
    3 scallions, white and light green parts only, coarsely chopped
    1 large garlic clove, smashed
    1 large jalapeño, chopped
    Pinch of sugar
    1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs and breasts

directions
    In a food processor, pulse the lemongrass until finely chopped. Add the scallions, garlic, jalapeño and sugar and pulse until finely chopped. With the machine on, add the 1/4 cup of vegetable oil in a steady stream and process to a fine paste. Season the paste with salt and pepper.
    Using a small, sharp knife, make 1/2-inch-deep slashes into the chicken and rub the paste all over, working it into the slashes. Marinate the chicken for 15 minutes at room temperature or refrigerate overnight.
    Light a grill. Brush the chicken with oil, season with salt and pepper and grill over a medium-hot fire, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes.

I haven't made this one but it sure sounds good
    Lemongrass Chicken
    Created by Nina Simonds
    From the February, 2005 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine
    Makes 6 servings

Inspired by trips to India and Thailand, lemongrass chicken with green beans contains six cloves of garlic, which scientists believe strengthens the immune system. Adapted from Spices of Life.
    INGREDIENTS
    Seasoning:
    2 dried red chiles, seeds removed, or 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
    4 stalks lemongrass, ends trimmed, tough outer stalks removed, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    6 cloves garlic

Coconut sauce:
    1 1/2 cups light coconut milk
    2 1/2 Tablespoons Thai fish sauce
    1 Tablespoon sugar
    1 1/2 Teaspoons salt

Chicken:
    1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
    1 1/2 pounds green beans, cut in half on the diagonal
    3 Tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
    1 1/2 medium red bell peppers, thinly sliced
    2 Tablespoons rice wine
    1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves

To make seasoning: With the machine running, drop the chiles, followed by lemongrass and then garlic, into a blender and process. Pulse several times, until the mixture forms a paste and becomes smooth; set aside.

To make coconut sauce: In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients; set aside.

To prepare chicken: Place chicken breasts on a cutting board. With the blade of a sharp knife parallel to the board, thinly slice breasts; set aside.

In a 3-quart casserole or a large skillet with a lid, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add green beans and cook until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes; drain. Refresh under cold water; drain again.

Heat 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil in the same pan over high heat until very hot. Add chicken and stir-fry until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate; drain excess fat.

In the same pan over medium-low heat, warm remaining 1 1/2 Tablespoons oil. Add seasoning and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.

Increase heat to medium. Add onions and stir-fry 1 minute, then add bell peppers and rice wine; stir-fry 1 minute. Cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add beans and coconut sauce; bring to a boil. Add chicken, cover, and simmer until the beans are tender, about 5 minutes.

Stir in basil and taste for seasoning; add more salt if necessary. Scoop chicken and vegetables into a bowl and serve with steamed rice if desired.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

rubychan,

I've bought the lemongrass paste before and just use it in place of fresh lemongrass. No specific recipes, I just added to stirfry and other Asian dishes to give a new flavor twist. I started by adding about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. (taste and adjust more from that - it's pretty potent.)

The Garlic Lemongrass Chicken sounds great... Thank you!
    I just wasnt quite sure where to use it but I got on the internet last night and searched and found some dessert recipes for it too.
    I will post them when we try them...
    Cheers...
    Chan

PS... how long did you find your paste to last in the fridge?
    Go on now.... Lick the Spoon!
    http://lick-the-spoon.blogspot.com/