Community Message Boards

Thread: Lemongrass Paste

huntsville, AL

Lemongrass Paste

Hey there.....
    Just got home from grocery shopping. I bought some Lemongrass paste.... now what? Any ideas of what to do with this??
    Go on now.... Lick the Spoon!

San Francisco
    Never heard of it, but I sure do like the idea! I love Thai-inspired soups, so that's where I'd use it. This one was a good starting point, for example, though I now put lemon grass, fish sauce, lime, etc. in it.

Spicy Coconut Soup with Spinach and Shrimp
    From Cooking Light

Curry paste and crushed red pepper give this soup a double dose of heat that's balanced by the coconut milk.

Cooking spray
    2/3 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 1/2 teaspoons red curry paste
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
    1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    6 cups torn spinach

Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; sauté 4 minutes. Add curry paste and red pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp; cook 4 minutes or until shrimp are done. Stir in spinach; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)

CALORIES 145(30% from fat); FAT 4.8g(sat 3.2g,mono 0.3g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 18.7g; CHOLESTEROL 115mg; CALCIUM 84mg; SODIUM 384mg; FIBER 1.5g; IRON 3.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 7.8g

San Ramon, CA
    Here is one that I've made using fresh lemongrass. I don't know how to give you the equilivant though

Garlicky Lemongrass Chicken
    SERVES: 6 TO 8
    This spicy lemongrass paste is also wonderful rubbed on pork tenderloin or any firm, white-fleshed fish, such as snapper, sea bass or halibut.
    5 plump lemongrass stalks, inner bulb only, coarsely chopped
    3 scallions, white and light green parts only, coarsely chopped
    1 large garlic clove, smashed
    1 large jalapeño, chopped
    Pinch of sugar
    1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs and breasts

In a food processor, pulse the lemongrass until finely chopped. Add the scallions, garlic, jalapeño and sugar and pulse until finely chopped. With the machine on, add the 1/4 cup of vegetable oil in a steady stream and process to a fine paste. Season the paste with salt and pepper.
    Using a small, sharp knife, make 1/2-inch-deep slashes into the chicken and rub the paste all over, working it into the slashes. Marinate the chicken for 15 minutes at room temperature or refrigerate overnight.
    Light a grill. Brush the chicken with oil, season with salt and pepper and grill over a medium-hot fire, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes.

I haven't made this one but it sure sounds good
    Lemongrass Chicken
    Created by Nina Simonds
    From the February, 2005 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine
    Makes 6 servings

Inspired by trips to India and Thailand, lemongrass chicken with green beans contains six cloves of garlic, which scientists believe strengthens the immune system. Adapted from Spices of Life.
    2 dried red chiles, seeds removed, or 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
    4 stalks lemongrass, ends trimmed, tough outer stalks removed, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    6 cloves garlic

Coconut sauce:
    1 1/2 cups light coconut milk
    2 1/2 Tablespoons Thai fish sauce
    1 Tablespoon sugar
    1 1/2 Teaspoons salt

1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
    1 1/2 pounds green beans, cut in half on the diagonal
    3 Tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
    1 1/2 medium red bell peppers, thinly sliced
    2 Tablespoons rice wine
    1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves

To make seasoning: With the machine running, drop the chiles, followed by lemongrass and then garlic, into a blender and process. Pulse several times, until the mixture forms a paste and becomes smooth; set aside.

To make coconut sauce: In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients; set aside.

To prepare chicken: Place chicken breasts on a cutting board. With the blade of a sharp knife parallel to the board, thinly slice breasts; set aside.

In a 3-quart casserole or a large skillet with a lid, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add green beans and cook until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes; drain. Refresh under cold water; drain again.

Heat 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil in the same pan over high heat until very hot. Add chicken and stir-fry until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate; drain excess fat.

In the same pan over medium-low heat, warm remaining 1 1/2 Tablespoons oil. Add seasoning and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.

Increase heat to medium. Add onions and stir-fry 1 minute, then add bell peppers and rice wine; stir-fry 1 minute. Cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add beans and coconut sauce; bring to a boil. Add chicken, cover, and simmer until the beans are tender, about 5 minutes.

Stir in basil and taste for seasoning; add more salt if necessary. Scoop chicken and vegetables into a bowl and serve with steamed rice if desired.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

I've bought the lemongrass paste before and just use it in place of fresh lemongrass. No specific recipes, I just added to stirfry and other Asian dishes to give a new flavor twist. I started by adding about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. (taste and adjust more from that - it's pretty potent.)

huntsville, AL
    The Garlic Lemongrass Chicken sounds great... Thank you!
    I just wasnt quite sure where to use it but I got on the internet last night and searched and found some dessert recipes for it too.
    I will post them when we try them...

PS... how long did you find your paste to last in the fridge?
    Go on now.... Lick the Spoon!