Community Message Boards

Thread: Chipotles in Adobo Sauce-shelf life?

Chipotles in Adobo Sauce-shelf life?

I recently purchased a can of Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce for use in Chipotle Macaroni and Cheese recipe. The recipe only uses a couple chiles and a small amount of sauce.

In an attempt to use up more of the chiles/sauce, I made BobMark's Chipotle Shrimp. I still have more chiles/sauce left.

I don't want to turn my menus into "all chipotle, all the time" but I hate to waste them. I am hoping they'll keep for awhile. I put them in the fridge in a tupperware container. How long will they last refrigerated?

Any experts on chipotle shelf life out there?
    "Women and cats will do as they please,
    and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." - Unknown

Forever! Seriously, I read that they will last about a year and mine do keep an awful long time.
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

I've kept mine for months in a TW container. BUT, it does stain it so I would use a cheapo Rubbermaid one IMHO.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Or what I do is blob each chipotle with some adobo on a piece of wax paper or no-stick foil, and pop it in the freezer for 24 hrs. When it's frozen, peel them off and put them in a ziplock back in the freezer---and then I can grab out 1 or 2 when I need them. Works great.
    Last edited by Gilgamesh37; 06-27-2005 at 03:42 PM.

Originally posted by Gilgamesh37
    Or what I do is blob each chipotle with some adobo on a piece of wax paper or no-stick foil, and pop it in the fridge for 24 hrs. When it's frozen, peel them off and put them in a ziplock back in the freezer---and then I can grab out 1 or 2 when I need them. Works great.
    GREAT idea!!!!!!!!!!
    This is what I will do with my leftover chipolte chili's
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Happy Cooking!
    Cindy
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

On the home page of CL there is a recipe for Southwestern Potato Salad that looks yummy, you can use a chile or two there
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Happy Cooking!
    Cindy
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I do what Cindy does. I also do that for tomato paste that I open for 1-2 TBS. This year when I make my pesto, I am going to do the same thing with that, because often I just want a Tb or 2 to add to soup.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Or what I do is blob each chipotle with some adobo on a piece of wax paper or no-stick foil, and pop it in the freezer for 24 hrs. When it's frozen, peel them off and put them in a ziplock back in the freezer---and then I can grab out 1 or 2 when I need them. Works great.
    I do the same then foodsave them.
    Life is Good

Someone suggested to me to get an ice cube tray, put a chili and a little sauce in each, freeze them, then pop them out and keep in a freezer bag. Worked great!

Originally posted by bellringr
    Someone suggested to me to get an ice cube tray, put a chili and a little sauce in each, freeze them, then pop them out and keep in a freezer bag. Worked great!
    I do this, too, except I zap the chilis and sauce in the food processor first. Then when thawed, no need for messy cutting of the peppers!
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

What a great idea. Thanks for shaing this one.