Community Message Boards

Thread: o/t family trees

Mightyh,

You're right--tracing your roots IS intriguing! It can seem like an overwhelming task at first, but is so very rewarding to know the way you are connected to the past. I would recommend that you check out www.familysearch.org. There you will find tons of family history and genealogy information. There is even a link to www.ellisislandrecords.org, the brand-new website that KathrynY mentioned. Good luck! Let us know what you find that is helpful!

Question o/t family trees

I apologize for being so far off-topic, but I value your opions on EVERYTHING!!!

Have any of you used family tree software to research your family history? It's something I think I'd like to do in hopes that once I collect all the data, I can design cool and unique family trees as gifts for our relatives during this coming year.

So, to my point, what software or books do you recommend, if any? I'd also appreciate any tips you can give if you've done this sort of thing before. I am a total novice, but the puzzle of tracing my roots intrigues me.

mightyh - I've not done this myself, so I'm interested in the other responses, but I did find out about a nifty web site for that type of research this week (apparently a new site): http://ellisislandrecords.org . You can research passenger records from ships that carried immigrants to this country, and even see the original manifests - sounds pretty neat!

Mightyh:

My husband has to be the "Geneology King." He can trace his family back to 1500. I asked him what software he has used and this is what he told me. "For ease of use, Family Tree Maker is good. For output of detail reports, Ultimate Family Tree (which was originally called Roots). Using the Ultimate Family Tree will also enable you to create a free website detailing your family info." This is my DH's current project to make me nuts. He created a website detailing our family history. A few years ago, we received a call from a gentlemen from Las Vegas doing family research. He got our name from a geneology CD (Family Tree Maker?). To summarize a long story it turned out he was my grandmother's nephew. Technology is amazing!

I think both software packages are available wherever software is sold. You may want to check the Internet to see if they have websites.

If you need additional info, leave a message on board.

Good luck.

HI. Yes the ellisisland web site is new. Keep in mind you might not access it so easily due to the volume of people trying to access this site.

Cool. Thanks for the info... I hope ot get the project started soon and may come back with more questions

Talking

Hey, I tried getting on that website since the first day! I did get to it on Monday!
    My father in law came thru Ellis Island and I couldn't find him. Eventually I did, the spelling of the name was changed from the original!