Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's your favorite sandwich?

what's your favorite sandwich?

What is your favorite kind of sandwich and what do you put on/in it?

Mine are tied between egg salad (FF Miracle Whip, mustard, sweet relish) and veggie sandwiches (tomato, FF mayo, dijon, lettuce, sprouts, cucumbers and anything else that looks good in the produce deptarment). These are both sandwiches that I save for when I have time to really enjoy them.

So what is your favorite?
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

I love chicken salad on rye bread with spinach, tomatoes and avocados.

Lisa

I love sliced avacado, tomato, and onion sandwiches, especially on toasted, crusty bread!

Anything with Kraft Mayonnaise!

Cashew butter and strawberry jam on oatmeal bread.
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

PEANUT BUTTER!!!!

Not too picky about it either -- any sort of bread, bagel, muffin...jam or not...crunchy or creamy...flavored or plain...natural or Skippy-style. It's all good to me! I also like it with fluff, bananas, apple butter, Elvis-style, or other ways I'm sure I'm forgetting. Any day can be made better with the addition of peanut butter!

Kari

Turkey, avocado, and cheddar with yellow mustard on a soft poppy seed roll.

Chicken salad with almonds and apples on rich, dark raisin bread.

Lots of veggies on hearty dark seed bread or in a pita.

Cucumber and butter with dill on white, cut in triangles.

Thin egg salad on egg bread.

Grilled pepper jack with tomato and basil.

Fried egg with mayo on egg bread...only if DH makes it. Haven't had one in years!

Natural peanut butter with banana jam on whole wheat, cut into fingers.

Turkey meatloaf with BBQ sauce on dense fiber-y bread.

Wow! I didn't realize how many sandwiches I love. You think I'd eat them more often.
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner

Ham and brie is one of my favorites, along with Avocado, Bacon and Tomato sandwiches.
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

Oh I forgot grilled cheese, just cheese all melty for me. I could live on them and my future DH knows just how to make them (yummy). And I will never turn down a turkey sandwich made with the leftovers from Thanksgiving (well that is until I am on about day 4 of leftover turkey). Those are pretty simple too, just turkey, swiss cheese and mayo, on white soft bread. Nothing gourmet about me and sandwiches.
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

(my) chicken salad on any bread

natural peanut butter and strawberry jam on toast

cucumber cream cheese on wheat bread (recent discovery from a bakery and a friend and I came up w/ our version of the recipe).

grilled chicken w/ fontina cheese, avocado, tomato

old fashioned patty melt

bacon, cheese, and mustard on toast. Or throw on a fried egg and omit the mustard.

there's a recipe for a big tomato sandwich in Deborah Madison's Local Flavors book--it's a very good one!

grilled cheese

grilled ham and cheese
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Blue cheese and bacon on an everything bagel.

Bob

Roast beef on a bagel (pumpernickel, plain or grain) with cream cheese and red onions. I don't eat it very often, though. Hmmm, maybe I'll have to pick up a few things during my next trip to the grocery store.

My favorite sandwich ever is a grilled chicken and brie and roasted pepper sandwich made at a local bakery. To die for.

I also love peanut butter, although I think not quite as much as Kari! And BLTs.

Roast Beef, English mustard, arugula and swiss on whole wheat

Roast Beef and mayonnaise on sourdough

Grilled chicken, tomato and mayonnaise on whole wheat

BLT with arugula for the L

Goat cheese, dried figs, prosciutto and basil on whole wheat

Prosciutto and olive oil on a really thin baguette

Sandwiches are an art form.

Almond butter and apple cider jelly on whole wheat toast

Almond butter and dried figs on whole wheat toast

Sausage, grilled peppers and English mustard on a baguette

~Emilie~
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/

There are not many sandwiches that I DON'T like. All I ask for is fresh bread, fresh meat, fresh vegetables and good quality condiments.

If I had to choose it would be one big fresh tomato sandwich. Fresh tomato from the garden on white bread with Hellman's Mayo & salt and pepper. Just sit and eat and watch it drip all over ya!

Originally posted by pilgrim719
    PEANUT BUTTER!!!!

Not too picky about it either -- any sort of bread, bagel, muffin...jam or not...crunchy or creamy...flavored or plain...natural or Skippy-style. It's all good to me! I also like it with fluff, bananas, apple butter, Elvis-style, or other ways I'm sure I'm forgetting. Any day can be made better with the addition of peanut butter!

Exactly!!!!!!!! I am so glad someone else shares my passion! DH thinks I'm crazy b/c I can eat it from the jar with a spoon. When I was pregnant, LOOK OUT!!

A close 2nd would be turkey, avacado, cream cheese, sprouts, and sometimes bacon, sometimes not!

Smoked turkey, chive-n-onion cream cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, and sprouts all on a chewy everything bagel.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Homemade white bread toast, goat cheese, fresh basil, homemade garlic mayo (Deborah Madison's)

Grilled natural chunky PB, strawberry jam on raisin bread

grilled eggplant, roasted red peppers, fresh spinach, fontina on a toasted wheat roll

a new favorite from Paulette Mitchell's sandwich book is the wrap with broccoli slaw and a cream cheese spread on a tomato wrap

What a yummy thread- I love a good sandwich! But I don't think I take the trouble to make a good one as often as I should! Here are my favorites- some I may've only had once at a restaurant.

-turkey, ham and tomato sandwich, literally nearly immersed in a boat of cheddar cheese (had in a restaurant years ago, before I was wise to issues of fat and cholesterol!)

-grilled sandwich of broccoli, sprouts, onion, cheese, thousand island dressing, in toasted sunflower bread (from a little restaurant, totally delish!)

-hummus (my own!) and tomato sandwich on a pumpernickel bagel

-cucumber & herbed cream cheese sandwiches (on a hot summer day)

-roast beef, swiss, and tomato

-meatloaf, tomato, mayo

-Italian sausage with onion, peppers, marinara on a hoagie bun (don't let myself have this but once in a blue moon- though I did see that CL has a version I should try!)

-grilled cheese and tomato (guess you can tell I love tomatoes!)

-sliced ham, pineapple, mayo, mustard (good from holiday dinner leftovers!)

-hamburgers (I would gladly pay you on the second Tuesday of next week for a hamburger today! Assume some of you will get my reference!)

-BLT

-club sandwich from a diner type place

- and I'm with Kari and others who love PB & J- I can eat it for lunch, supper, or frequently even will have one slice for dessert!

It's hard to think of a sandwich I don't like. I really should make them more often!!! Good thread!!!

One more thing I wanted to say about sandwiches-- My mother used to say that sandwiches always taste better when someone else makes them. I have always found this bit of mysterious wisdom to be true!

Dreamer, too funny. Personally I feel that way about salads most of the time.

There are a lot of vegetable sandwiches that I like, but this is definitely my favorite. It's from Deborah Madison's Local Flavors. I think jjsooner73 and Natasha (and probably others too) have posted it on the board as well.

A Big Tomato Sandwich

1 large (1 lb) loaf ciabatta (I used an Italian Loaf)
    2 or more big, juicy tomaotoes
    1 large red or yellow bell pepper, roasted, peeled, and quartered (I just used fresh, would roasted would make it even better, IMO)
    4 oz fresh mozzarella or goat or your favorite cheese
    sea salt and fresh ground pepper
    Herb Vinaigrette

Slice the top third off the loaf of bread and set it aside. Pull out the inside.

Paint the inside of the bread with some of the dressing, then make layers of sliced tomatoes, pepper, and cheese. Bathe each layer with the dressing and season w/ s&p.

Add the top, press down, then cut into quarters or sixths. This packs well if wrapped tightly.

Herb Vinaigrette
    1/4 cup basil leaves
    1 T. chopped marjoram
    1 small garlic clove, minced
    1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
    4 t. aged red wine vinegar
    sea salt and fresh ground pepper

Finely chop the herbs w/ the garlic, then add olive oil. Add the vinegar and 1/4 t. salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
    I believe in the forest, and in the meadow, and in the night in which the corn grows. -Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by Alethea
    Dreamer, too funny. Personally I feel that way about salads most of the time.

Me too! What is that??

sandwich to die for

Eggplant parm sub from Bozanna's in Buffalo, NY. With tomatos & hot peppers. If you get a whole, you can live on it for three days.
    And someone else makes it.

Originally posted by dreamer
    - and I'm with Kari and others who love PB & J- I can eat it for lunch, supper, or frequently even will have one slice for dessert!
    I totally agree. DH and I were tossing coins to see who got the rest of our son's PB&J from Panera last night. Theirs is really good - we'll have to find out what kind of jelly they use. Think it's raspberry and between that and their fresh bread ... mmm.
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

Mine would have to be a BLT.

At the Carnation restaurant at Disneyland they used to make a sandwich on grilled sourdough with roast beef, quacamole and melted monterey jack cheese. It was soooooo good!! Too bad they stopped making them

OK, I've always said that I don't like sandwiches... but after reading this thread I've come to realize that I just don't like BORING sandwiches. Some of these sound fabulous and I'm going to have to make them!
    "This better be important! Is the frickin' meadow on fire?" -- Charlie the Unicorn

Without a doubt my favorite sandwich is the fresh mozzarella and pesto sandwich from Molinari's deli in San Francisco. I love caprese sandwiches (and variations thereof) generally, but I have never found -or made - one as good as Molinari's. Now, if only I could find a way to import them to my home in Chicago!

The Tuna Melt from the Corner Room in State College, Pa. - Half an English muffin topped with a slice of tomato, a ball of tuna, and melted cheese. I've tried to duplicate it, but I can't get the tuna mixture to taste right.

Bacon, lettuce and tomato on an onion bagel with cream cheese.

sliced cold meatloaf on crusty bread with hamburger dill slices, sliced onion, and yellow mustard.

~Paula

Originally posted by NewMrsG
    My favorite sandwich ever is a grilled chicken and brie and roasted pepper sandwich made at a local bakery. To die for.

I also love peanut butter, although I think not quite as much as Kari! And BLTs.
    Would you happen to have the recipe? Sounds really good.
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

Originally posted by helene

Would you happen to have the recipe? Sounds really good.
    I wish I did! It's a restaurant sandwich, not something I've made. It's from Flour Bakery in the South End in Boston. Sorry!