Community Message Boards

Thread: Why are my eggs sticking to my pan?

Why are my eggs sticking to my pan?

I make scrambled eggs a lot and always use a non-stick pan sprayed with Pam. Even with the special pan & Pam spray, my eggs leave a thin residue of egg on the bottom of the pan which is extremely hard to get off even with a scrub brush. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a new pan?

I usually cook my eggs between low - medium heat and the pan looks brand new and works perfectly for other things?????

My complaint is regarding the clean up of the pan not the scrambled eggs which always turn out great.

Any suggestions?

You are pouring your eggs in before the pan gets hot. You have to pre-heat the pan and let it get fairly hot first before you add the oil/butter/spray (whatever) and then the eggs. Try that and I think you'll see a vast improvement.

It could also be that your non-stick pan is old and worn. I have found that after a few years of heavy use, my non-stick isn't really very non-stick anymore, particularly with eggs and potatoes.

Grace is correct as unless you have a really expensive non-stick such as All Clad and top of the line Calphalon (which are guaranteed for life), the non stick part degrades. This is less so now because nonstick is now made with a bumpy surface (or at least the higher quality stuff is) so that as it wears off, it still has layers -- this isn't the same as that weird stuff Circulon with the circles

That said, PAM is actually not very good for nonstick pans as it leaves a coating that won't come off and eventually destroys the finish. I have found the pure oils in the spray cans to be better -- or alternatively a teensy amount of real butter -- especially for eggs. With good nonstick, you don't need a spray to make it nonstick, but a teensy amount of oil does add immeasurably to the flavor and texture.

This was happening to me with my All-Clad non-stick pan. I called the company and they told me to put about an inch or and inch and a half of water in the bottom of the pan and sprinkle baking soda over the water and boil it for at least 5 minutes or more depending on how bad your pan is, then wash with soap and water as usual. You may have to do this a few times. This really works. They told me food residue gets into the tiny cracks in the pan and that makes food stick after much use. I did this a few times and now my pans are fine.

FYI, boiling water & baking soda works to get crud out of ANY pan, not just non-stick. I've had some serious cases of burned-on food in more than one regular pan, and that trick REALLY helps. Sometimes I have to go a couple of rounds, and do some serious scrubbing, but I wouldn't have been able to make them useable without it. I picked up this hint from the book by the "Queen of Clean" I think ...

Originally posted by funniegrrl
    FYI, boiling water & baking soda works to get crud out of ANY pan, not just non-stick. I've had some serious cases of burned-on food in more than one regular pan, and that trick REALLY helps. Sometimes I have to go a couple of rounds, and do some serious scrubbing, but I wouldn't have been able to make them useable without it. I picked up this hint from the book by the "Queen of Clean" I think ...
    Funniegrrl: You are CORRECT! I got that Queen of Clean book and I too use the boiling water and baking soda remedy. Works like a charm!

I also agree that the pan needs to get nice and hot prior to adding the eggs.

Jodi

FWIW, when you do have an egg residue, if you soak the pan in COLD water (instead of warm/hot) it's pretty easy to wipe off that residue. Something to do with the proteins, I believe, disolving in cold water. I usually add a little dish soap for good measure, and let the pan soak for an hour or so.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Sunday I made scrambled eggs in my PREHEATED and OILED (not sprayed with Pam) nonstick pan and had no sticking eggs. Woohoo!!!!!

The eggs were great and the clean up was even better