Community Message Boards

Thread: How long does horseradish last?

Question How long does horseradish last?

I have a jar in the fridge and cannot tell if it's still good or not. Anyone know how long it lasts?

I found on line somewhere that it said one year. That means mine is no good and I never did use it for the recipe Iwas going to make.

That surprises me. I would think that as long as it smells and looks OK, it's OK -- with the expectation that the older it gets, the less pungent it becomes. It the jar's been open, that is.

Stick your nose in it. If it clears your sinuses, it's OK.
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Thanks! I think I'm going to use it and just hope nobody gets sick!

If it's prepared horseradish with vinegar, it should last a pretty good while (whatever that is), but it does lose its strength over time -- especially if opened. (the sinus test will give you some idea ) You might need to use more.

If it is the creamy style, I'd probably be more likely to toss it and start with fresh. If it's the root itself, well, that should be pretty obvious.

Horseradish in a jar turns a pretty shade of pink when it is bad. If it isn't funky colored or growning fuzz, it should be just fine.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!