Community Message Boards

Thread: Can someone convert this for me?

Can someone convert this for me?

does mastercook have a conversion function?
    if so can someone convert this to US measurements...
    Thanks!!
    Chan

Rhubarb Cornmeal Cake - from "How To Be A Domestic Goddess

500g rhubarb
    300g caster sugar
    150g plain flour
    155g fine polenta or cornmeal
    1tsp ground cinnamon
    1tsp bicarbonate of soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 large eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    125g unsalted butter
    250g plain yogurt, preferably bio

23cm springform cake tin, greased with butter and base lined.

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4 / 180C.

Trim the rhubarb and cut into 1/2cm slices. Place in a large bowl with 100g of the sugar and leave aside whilst you prepare the rest of the cake. Don't leave for longer than 30 minutes, otherwise too much juice will leach out of the rhubarb.

Mix the flour, cornmeal/polenta, salt, cinnamon, bicarb in a medium bowl. In a large bowl (I used my KitchenAid here), cream the butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. In a small bowl or ramekin, beat the eggs with the vanilla extract and then slowly add this to the creamed mixture. Beat well until mixture is fluffy again.

In alternating spoonfuls, add the flour mixture and yogurt to the creamed mixture. Mix these in very slowly to preserve the fluffiness of the mixture. Finally, fold in the rhubarb and all the sugary juices.

Pour into the tin and smooth the top. Bake for approximately one hour until the top is springy and a skewer comes out almost clean. Check after 40 minutes and cover with foil if the top looks as if it is going to overbrown. Let it cool, in the tin, on a wire rack until just warm or leave to cool completely if not eating immediately. It can be reheated in the oven if wrapped well in foil.
    Go on now.... Lick the Spoon!
    http://lick-the-spoon.blogspot.com/

I didn't plug it in to MasterCook, nor do I know if it has unit conversions, but I did find this site: http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Most European recipes are based on weight, so it looks like you might need a kitchen scale for this. Since sugar and flour do not weigh the same, you can't just convert it into cups, but will hae to convert to lbs and oz. MC doesn't do conversions as far as I know (never needed to look for that function). Hopefully someone else can help you.

i did a little digging and found it...
    i think i am going to attempt this tonight..

Here it is from "How to Be a Domestic Goddess." I did condense the instructions.

1 pound 2 ounces rhubarb
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fine cornmeal (farina)
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup unsalted butter, soft
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons plain yogurt

9-inch springform pan, buttered, lined with parchment or wax paper

Preheat oven to 350.

Wash and dry rhubarb if necessary. Trim, remove stringy bits, and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Put into a glass or china bowl and cover with 1/3 cup of the sugar while you mix the rest of the cake. Don't let rhubarb sit for more than 1/2-hour as it will exude too much liquid.

Mix dry ingredients together. Beat eggs and vanilla with a fork in a small bowl. In a large bowl, cream butter and the remaining sugar. Gradually add the egg and vanilla mixture, beating while you do so. Then add flour-cornmeal mixture alternately with the yogurt.

Mix just until combined. Don't overmix.

Finally, add the rhubarb and juice, folding in to mix. Pour batter into prepared pan. Put in preheated oven and bake for about 1 hour or until springy to the touch. You may need to cover it with foil after about 40 minutes so that the top does not scorch.

Cool in pan on a wire rack for a while before unmolding. Serves 8-10 (not at my house).
    Go on now.... Lick the Spoon!
    http://lick-the-spoon.blogspot.com/