Community Message Boards

Thread: How to use a double boiler??

Question How to use a double boiler??

I am trying a new recipe this weekend and it says to cook some of the ingredients in the top of a double boiler. So, I went out and bought one - but it has no directions. How much water do I put in the bottom pan? Over what temperature do I cook it? Do I get the water boiling in the bottom pan first and then place the top pan on?
    Please help!

You don't want the water to touch the bottom of the double boiler so fill it within about an inch of the bottom. You want the water to be boiling gently before you begin cooking. The idea is that the steam provides a gentle, even heat.

Good luck with you receipe!

You really didn't have to go out and buy one. You can use a stainless bowl over a pot of water. I've seen some of the chef's on TV do this and it works just as well. As SusanT said, don't allow the bottom of the top pot to touch the water.

I would also add that you can use a Pyrex Bowl too over the pot...another tip I learned, make sure that you wipe the bottom of the bowl with a cloth when you remove it from the pot so that no water drips on whatever other bowl/container that you might have on your counter to continue making the recipe.