Community Message Boards

Thread: Is there any way to freeze eggplant?

Is there any way to freeze eggplant?

My garden is producing more than we can eat and the neighbors look at me like I have horns when I offer eggpant. Is there any way to freeze it or any recipe that uses alot of them? I really just like them grilled or as a gratin, but you can only use so many. HELP
    Sharon

Here are notes I took from Alton Brown's eggplant show. Haven't tried it myself.

* Exported from MasterCook *

About: Eggplant

Recipe By :Alton Brown
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Info & Tips Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------

PURGING:
    Cooked from its natural state, eggplant becomes mush because of all the water it contains. The only time AB cooks eggplant without purging it first is when he barbecues it whole for Baba Ghannouj. But even then he puts it in a strainer and lets the juices drain at least 30 minutes before using. (He finds the juices bitter and nasty.)

To purge, cut slices about 1/2 inch thick, place on a rack over the sink and salt. Let sit 15-30 minutes, then turn and salt the other side. You can leave it overnight, but 1 to 3 hours should do the trick. Rinse salt off using sink sprayer attachment and wring water out of each slice -- literally wring it like a sponge, wadding it up in your hand. Pat dry with paper towels. It's now ready for your recipe.

STORAGE:
    Optimum storage temperature for eggplant is 45 to 50 degrees F, warmer than most refrigerators. So, if you're going to use the eggplant fairly soon, like within 2 days, keep it on the counter in the coolest part of your kitchen. For longer storage, wrap it in a couple layers of plastic wrap, and store on the top shelf of the refrigerator. But eggplant will only keep 14 days from the time it's picked. Since you don't know how old it was when you bought it, use quickly. If you need longer storage, slice, purge, rinse, and dry, then package in plastic wrap and a freezer bag and keep up to 1 week in the refrigerator or freeze for up to 3 months.

Source:
    "TVFN: Good Eats Show EA 1e07: Deep Purple (aka Berry from Another Planet)"
    S(Web):
    "http://www.foodtv.com"
    Copyright:
    "2002 Television Food Network"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 0 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0% calories from fat); 0g Protein; 0g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 0mg Sodium. Exchanges: .

Nutr. Assoc. :

Pam, thank you. I am so excited, I really didn't think that there was anyway to freeze it. I'm off to purge.
    Sharon

I've roasted them, either in the oven or on the grill (whole, peel on) and then peeled and frozen the pulp. I use it either for baigan bhartha or baba ganoush (drain it after it defrosts) and it seems to work well. Never tried it purged/still raw as Alton suggests. I may have to give it a try as it would sure be nice to have it frozen when I want slices versus pulp.

I will say skip the plastic wrap that is suggested as they grow mold rapidly when wrapped like that. I've actually quit buying them at one store here because they're almost always packaged like that, and either moldy at the store or grow it within a day. I suppose you could guess that just means they're old but they'll do it even when they're still quite nice looking and firm otherwise so I've always blamed it on the plastic wrap.

Tovie
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

perfect timing, I just picked my first eggplant yesterday and may soon be in the same boat.

I made this last night and dh raved about it. instead of rolling indivdiual pieces up, I just made one layer of eggplant, spread the pesto on then topped with more eggplant, added sauce and cheese. I used way more mozzerala on the topping, because how in the world can you top a whole 13x9 dish wih only 1/4 C mozzeralla.

I also have a wonderful mexican eggplant bake, I posted the review here, but the search engine isnt working, I will try to remember tomorrow to type it. its a like a layered mexican casserole and instead of using tortillas, you use eggplant

laurie

Eggplant Manicotti with Creamy Pesto Filling

1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
    1 cup fresh basil leaves
    1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
    1/2 cup spinach leaves
    1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
    1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup tub-style fat-free cream cheese
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 (15-ounce) container fat-free ricotta cheese
    2 garlic cloves
    1 (1 1/2-pound) eggplant, cut lengthwise into 20 (1/8-inch-thick) slices
    Cooking spray
    2 cups low-fat spaghetti sauce, divided

Combine 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and next 9 ingredients (mozzarella cheese through garlic) in a food processor, and process until smooth. Set pesto mixture aside.
    Arrange half the eggplant slices in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil 5 minutes or until lightly browned and very tender. Repeat procedure with remaining eggplant.

Preheat oven to 375.

Spread 1 cup spaghetti sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Place eggplant slices, browned sides down, on a smooth surface; spoon about 2 tablespoons pesto mixture in center of each slice (the amount will vary from 1 to 3 tablespoons depending on size of eggplant slices). Roll up, starting at short ends; place eggplant rolls, seam sides down, over sauce. Repeat procedure with remaining eggplant and pesto mixture. Pour 1 cup spaghetti sauce over eggplant rolls.

Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Top with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese; bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.

Note: Any leftover pesto mixture can be used as a topping for tomato slices or tossed with pasta.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 5 rolls with sauce)

CALORIES 282(29% from fat); FAT 9.1g (sat 3.1g,mono 2.8g,poly 2.1g); PROTEIN 26.8g; CHOLESTEROL 24mg; CALCIUM 451mg; SODIUM 760mg; FIBER 5.4g; IRON 2.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31g
    Cooking Light, APRIL 1997

Quote Originally Posted by tovie
    ..... I use it either for baigan bhartha or baba ganoush (drain it after it defrosts) .....
    Tovie
    Tovie, could you please post your recipe for baigan bhartha? DH and I love it and I am looking for a Tried & True recipe. Thanks, Miche

Quote Originally Posted by mmbedard
    Tovie, could you please post your recipe for baigan bhartha? DH and I love it and I am looking for a Tried & True recipe. Thanks, Miche
    Well, I've tried a number but I'm not sure they're true I can't seem to find one that tastes like what I can get at an Indian restaurants in the area. Some haven't even been close (although they're all usually good). This is the last one I've tried and it seems to be the closest so I'll post it. And at that, it doesn't include ginger, which I know is in the restaurant versions I've had.

Baigan Bhartha

1 medium eggplant
    1/2 cup cooked green peas
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 tomato, finely chopped
    1 green chilli, finely chopped
    1/2 tsp red chilli powder
    1 tsp garam masala
    1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric)
    3 Tbs vegetable oil
    salt to taste
    chopped green coriander leaves (cilantro) for garnishing

Brush eggplant with the oil and roast it on a gas burner over medium heat. Frequently turn the eggplant until fully roasted. Once done, hold it under cold running water or in a bowl full of water. Cool it and peel off the blackened skin. Mash the flesh.

Heat the oil in a kadhai/pan. Add green chilli and onion and fry over medium heat until light golden brown. Add red chilli powder, haldi, garam masala and salt and stir. Add tomatoes and cook until tender. Add green peas and mashed eggplant. Stir well. Fry for 5-7 minutes over medium heat. Garnish with green coriander leaves and serve hot over basmati rice.

My Notes: I've never roasted something as big as an eggplant over a burner, although I have done it with peppers. Usually I roast it in the broiler or on the grill (tastes best from the grill <g>) I have no idea as to time, usually the skin will blacken and the eggplant gets really soft. Red chilli powder is not chili powder like (Americans) use in chili (a mix of cumin and whatever), it's just straight up ground chillis, kind of like cayenne pepper, which is what I use. I add about 2 cloves garlic to this recipe plus probably about a teaspoon of fresh ginger, minced (I've never actually measured it so that's kind of a guess, do it to taste).

Tovie

Thanks Tovie, I will try your recipe. I don't think that the Baighan Bartha I've had had peas, but who knows
    Miche

Oh, you can leave the peas out if you want. A lot of the recipes don't include them but the restaurants around here put peas in it, so I looked for recipes including peas.

Tovie