Community Message Boards

Thread: Help me with a LUAU themed side dish

Help me with a LUAU themed side dish

Off to a luau friday night and need to bring a side dish or dessert. looking for an EASY-TYPE dish. was thinking of a pineapple coleslaw or ???

your suggestions are happily appreciated!

debbie

p.s. can you tell this is my 1st post since conversion -- just playing with all the new choices!
    It's easier to beg forgiveness then to ask permission!

Debbie,
    I posted (last year, I think) about a slaw that I served in a pineapple. Very pretty and very tasty! Will look to see if I can find the recipe.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

We did a Luau last year and served both a Cucumber-Papaya Salad and a Pineapple-Coconut Rice that were both great. We also did Hawaiian Baked Bananas that can be either a side dish or a dessert, and a Mango Cheesecake. Let me know if you're interested in any of the recipes.

Mango Salsa
    1 cup tomato, diced
    1 cup mango, diced
    1/4 cup red pepper, diced
    1/4 cup red onion, diced
    1/4 cup cilantro, fresh, chopped
    3 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
    1 tablespoon jalapeno, minced
    1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper

Combine and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Coconut Cheesecake Bars

Prep Time: 10 min
    Total Time: 3 hr 35 min
    Makes: 16 servings, 1 bar each

1-1/2 cups soft coconut macaroon cookie crumbs
    2 Tbsp. margarine, melted
    2 pkg. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup cream of coconut
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    2 eggs

PREHEAT oven to 350F. Mix crumbs and margarine. Press firmly onto bottom of greased 8-inch square baking pan; set aside. Beat cream cheese, sugar, cream of coconut and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs; beat just until blended.
    POUR over crust.
    BAKE 20 to 25 min. or until center is almost set. Cool. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight. Cut into 16 bars to serve. Store leftover bars in refrigerator.

How To Easily Remove Bars From Pan
    Line pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. Grease foil. Press crumb mixture onto bottom of pan and continue as directed. After dessert is baked and cooled, lift from pan, using foil handles. Discard foil. Cut into bars as directed.
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

You could do a trifle with angel food cake, pineapple, cream and vanilla pudding.
    Jodi

how about an easy lomi lomi salmon using canned salmon with diced tomatoes and onions. Denise

loved the ideas. wish i had time to get the rice dish from you kelly, but alas the party is tonight and with DH out of town, i did my shopping yesterday morning. i pulled up grace's recipe for cole slaw which had rave reviews and will just add some crushed pineapple. hope that will work okay.

thanks for all your suggestions!
    debbie
    It's easier to beg forgiveness then to ask permission!

Question

can i get that recipe for the salmn dish? i also have got to get a side dish or a side salad together for wednesday.
    thanks!

9. This recipe I have for salmon and cilantro potato salad always goes over well:

http://livinglowfat.com/recipebox/si...-potato-salad/

I also have this for pineapple chicken salad. I haven't tried it, sounds good though:

http://livinglowfat.com/recipebox/si...c-vinaigrette/

Have fun!!