Community Message Boards

Thread: Crabcakes - make ahead?

Crabcakes - make ahead?

I'm planning on making crabcakes to serve at a New Orleans brunch for 20-25 people. The problem is, I've never made crabcakes before! I tried a search for crabcakes but came up with nothing (probably user error)...does anyone have a tried-and-true recipe that I could make ahead of time? How many should I make per person (we're also having jambalaya and plenty of other food)? Can I freeze them and thaw them the night before?

Any helpful hints would be appreciated!!

I don't really have a tried and true recipe, but I have made them before for holiday parties. I saute some green onions in a little butter, add a splash of vermouth, then the crab meat, and Ritz crackers crumbs, then bind with a beaten egg or two, depending on how many I'm making. I like them to taste like crab, so I use very few ingredients. These can be made ahead up to adding the egg, then formed into cakes and fried.

For cajun style, you could easily add some cajun seasoning.

Most crabcake recipes I've read advocate mixing the ingredients, forming into patties, then refrigerating for an hour before frying. Helps 'em hold together better.

This recipe is awesome, and a good fit for a New Orleans brunch. I know you can make them several hours ahead but not sure about the night before (if so, I would probably mix everything and then form the cakes day-of, in case the texture changed overnight).

Crab Cakes with Chile-Lime Aioli

Crab Cakes:
    12 ounces lump crabmeat, picked through for cartilage
    3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs, plus additional for coating crab cakes
    1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
    1 large jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, minced
    3 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro
    1/2 small yellow onion, minced
    2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
    1 egg
    Zest and juice of 1 lemon
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    3-4 tablespoons canola oil

Chile-lime Aioli
    1 garlic clove, peeled
    1 tsp. kosher salt
    1 large egg
    1 large egg yolk
    1/2 cup canola oil
    1/2 cup olive oil
    Zest of 1 lime
    2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
    1-2 habanero or other hot chile peppers, seeds and ribs removed, minced

For the crab cakes:
    Combine the crabmeat with 3/4 cup breadcrumbs in a medium bowl. Set aside. In another medium bowl, mix together the mustard, Worcestershire, Old Bay, jalapeño, cilantro, egg, onion, mayonnaise and lemon zest and juice. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the crabmeat and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If it feels too moist to hold together well, add some additional breadcrumbs.

Shape about 1-1/2 tablespoons of the crab mixtgure at a time into half-dollar-size rounds. Continue with the remaining crab mixture. Place about 1cup of breadcrumbs on a plate and dip both sides of each crab cake in crumbs to coat evenly. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Heat 3 tablespoons of the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches of 6-8, place the crab cakes in the skillet and cook until golden brown on the bottom, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Turn the cakes and cook until golden brown, about 1 minute more. Transfer the crab cakes to a paper towel to absorb the oil. Serve warm with Chile-Lime Aioli.

For the Chile-Lime Aioli:
    Place the garlic and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process until puréed. Add the egg and egg yolk and process, scraping down the sides of the bowl to combine the ingredients thoroughly. With the machine running, *very slowly* add the canola oil, a few drops at a time at first, and then in a very thin, steady stream; it will emmulsify and thicken. Repeat with the olive oil. Next, quickly pulse in the lime zest and the juice. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the habanero peppers. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.

Makes about 2 dozen

Adapted from “Martha Stewart’s Hors D’Oeuvres Handbook”

Here are some old threads about crab cakes that might be of help.... Don't know why the search is only returning really OLD threads - there was a great "crab cake" thread about six months ago..

I started a thread several months back and got a bunch of great responses.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ad.php?t=72459

I wonder why I couldn't pull up anything when I tried to search. Oh well...this is great information, thanks so much!!

Are you a CL subscriber? I love their Wild Rice Crab Cakes- a standard in my recipe rotation. I just made them this weekend from some really nice wild rice I bought at the Ferry Plaza market in San Francisco last month on vacation. They are simple, but a nice variation on the theme. If you need me to post the recipe, let me know!