Community Message Boards

Thread: What is a nonreactive saucepan?

What is a nonreactive saucepan?

I want to make this recipe, but it calls for a nonreactive saucepan. I'm not sure I know what that is. I have a non-stick saucepan, and a regular Lagostina saucepan. Is either of them nonreactive?

Daniele

* Exported from MasterCook *

Angels Hell-Fire Texas Black Bean Caviar

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Black beans

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cups drained cooked black beans -- rinsed
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 red bell pepper -- seeded and chopped
    2 pickled jalapenos -- chopped medium fine
    1 clove garlic -- finely chopped
    1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    3/4 teaspoon dried savory
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    1 tablespoon lemon juice

In a bowl, combine the beans, onion, red pepper, jalapenos, and garlic.

In a medium-sized nonreactive saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, chili powder, savory, cumin, salt, black pepper, cayenne and white pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the black bean mixture, bring to a boil, stirring frequently and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.

Transfer the mixture to a bowl and refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. (Can be made 4 days ahead and kept refrigerated.)

Serve the relish cold or at room temperature.

Source:
    "Full Of Beans 75 Exciting, Tasty Recipes"
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/foodday/fd0397/fd031797.html"
    Yield:
    "3 cups"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 165 Calories; 1g Fat (4.3% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 296mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : In Texas, of course, almost everything comes with a larger-than life name or description, including the Lone Star version of "caviar." In fact, the small, shiny, black beans that are the basis of this relish do bear a faint resemblance to sturgeon eggs, so maybe it is not completely far-fetched. In true Texas style, this zesty condiment is almost lip-searingly hot, but you can adjust the amount of ground pepper if you like. It's fabulous as an accompaniment to any type of cooked meat and adds an interesting dimension to almost any sandwich.

Nutr. Assoc. : 2797 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    newcook

Stainless steel or anodized aluminum or even a good nonstick pan are non-reactive.

Aluminum "reacts" to acids and causes off flavors and colors. However, aluminum is one of the most conductive metals -- right below copper. That's why the best cookware is "clad" - i.e. stainless steel over an aluminum core which combines conductivity with non-reactivity or, of course, the anodized aluminum pans which Calphalon makes.

Glass is also non-reactive which is why you can marinate in a glass or porcelein bowl or a stainless bowl.

P.S. - The recipe looks great.

Thanks Blazedog. The recipe does look good but I'm worried about how hot it will be. It says to adjust the ground pepper, but I would have thought the cayenne and chili powder give the heat.

Daniele
    newcook

You can always add pepper later but 3/4 teaspoon of pepper in total (white, black & cayenne) don't seem excessive.

I would stay away from anodized aluminum if the recipe calls for non reactive. You really want stainless or glass to be sure that there is no strange taste to the dish. My favorite is stainless particularly All-
    Clad. Hope this helps. (and isn't too late!)

Julie

Well I made it in my regular probably stainless steel saucepan and it turned out really good. It is a type of relish, so is meant to be eaten as an accompaniment. It was not as spicy hot as I expected. I have to admit that I was a little afraid of the heat so I was a little conservative on the spicing, but not to the point of outright reducing the amounts. I just rounded off smaller than bigger. Also, I removed about half of the seeds of the jalapeno. All in all, I really enjoyed it. Thanks for helping me out.
    newcook

Thanks for the update -- the heat didn't appear to be excessive and there was something about the warnings about both the heat and the reactivity that seemed overly cautious -- I mean do you KNOW anyone who has one of those thin aluminum saucepans that used to be sold at the Five & Dime? -- the ones that tipped over, burned everything and were usually dragged out when camping.

You can find them at Family Dollar or the larger 99 cent stores, and you always have swap meets

Quote Originally Posted by katiej43 View Post
    You can find them at
    Hmm... bumping a 7 year old thread?

Quote Originally Posted by mkc View Post
    Hmm... bumping a 7 year old thread?
    Hmm...do you suppose *them* refers to non-reactive, or to flimsy aluminum pans found at swap meets?
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Quote Originally Posted by crumbsandco View Post
    A non-reactive saucepan is one that will not cause a chemical reaction with acidic foods that are being cooked in it; basically, any metal pan--aluminum, stainless steel, and cast iron--is reactive. A non-reactive pan would be either an enamel-glazed or a glass pan.
    Stainless steel IS non-reactive.

"Non-Reactive Pan: When a recipe calls for a non-reactive cookware, use clay, enamel, glass, plastic, or stainless steel. Stainless steel is the most common non-reactive cookware available. Since it does not conduct or retain heat well, it frequently has aluminum or copper bonded to the bottom or a core of aluminum between layers of stainless steel. Although expensive, this kind of cookware offers the benefits of a durable, non-reactive surface and rapid, uniform heat conductivity."
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!