Community Message Boards

Thread: to bake, then freeze? Eggplant Parm, Mac & Cheese

to bake, then freeze? Eggplant Parm, Mac & Cheese

Hi BBer's,

I would like to make and freeze some Eggplant Parmesan (Moosewood Low Fat Favorites), and some Macaroni and Cheese (WW recipe that got rave reviews).

I am assuming they would both freeze ok. Right? What I don't know is should I bake them first, then freeze? (I never seem to know what is the best thing to do for freezing meals). And while I am asking, once these types of meals are frozen, would you suggest defrosting in the frig overnight and baking, or baking frozen. Does it make a difference?

Thanks so much!!

I can only speak to M&C. The version I usually make has a stove top step and then gets baked. I do freeze before baking. I usually increase the cheese & liquid above what's required, because it dries out in the freezing process. I up the content usually by 125%-150%. Hope that helps.
    Julie

The only suggestion I would make regarding freezing any dish with cooked pasta in it is to undercook the pastsa before freezing it. When you freeze and then reheat the dish, the pasta will soak up some of the liquid and soften.

~Emilie~
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/

Thanks for the replys. I never thought about undercooking the pasta a bit -- I will try that in future pasta freezing recipes.

Will also add a bit more sauce.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

applecrisp,
    would you mind sharing your WW mac and cheese recipe that got rave reviews? Also,if it's not too much trouble the eggplant one also.

I made one in the crockpot this morning before I went to work, I made it w/lowfat milk and reduced fat cheese and all it needed to do is cook in the crockpot for an hour. Put it together before I headed in here and I tasted it but was not too thrilled with it. Thankfully we are having sandwiches tonight for dinner with it!

If you have the recipes, I would love to have them.

Thanks in advance,
    Leslie

Sorry -- I don't know who posted it, I just copied the post into a Word document awhile back. Love Macaroni and Cheese so want to give it a try (many of the regular verstions have too much butter, cheese and other good stuff. Here is the post that I copied........

Mac & Cheese - amazing!
    I do not know who posted this recipe - not too long ago - it is absolutely fabulous. I have made 3 times in the past week/or so - twice with sharp cheddar, once with parmesan - delicious. I also - one time - used drained canned tomatoes and topped with panko bread crumbs/and the cheese I used. I have tossed all my other mac & cheese recipes - the white sauce is a snap to make - just so good - and thank you to whomever posted. Lots of variables.

Macaroni and Cheese - WW VV

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Main Meals

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
    1 cup 1% low-fat milk
    1/2 onion -- grated (I used a whole one)
    2 tablespoons unbleached flour
    2 garlic cloves -- crushed
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (about 1 heaping tsp)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
    pinch nutmeg
    4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
    1 tomato -- diced (very large or 2)
    1 tablespoon chopped basil (fresh about 1/2 cup)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.

In a large saucepan bring the milk, onion, flour, garlic, mustard, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the cheese in batches until it's melted and the sauce is smooth; stir in the macaroni, tomato, and basil.

Transfer the mixture to a shallow 1-quart casserole. Bake until golden, 35-40 minutes; cool slightly before serving.

Source:
    "WW Versatile Vegetarian"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 247 Calories; 11g Fat (38.5% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 32mg Cholesterol; 478mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : 6 points!

I usually double the recipe and use skim milk. Freezes nicely.

Here's the one for the Eggplant Parmesan. I am sorry that I don't know who posted it -- I must have cut off that info when I cut and pasted it into Word.

I haven't tried it yet. I am trying the Easy Meatless Manicotti in the next day or so (I don't recall reading the reviews -- so I hope it is good, and have had problems searching so haven't checked into), then will try the Eggplant.

Here it is....

Eggplant Parmesan a la Moosewood Low Fat Favorites

Serves 8 (I always half the recipe, and still get 4 big servings)

2 large eggplants, cut crosswise into rounds (I don't peel....)
    4 egg whites
    1/4 t salt
    2 c breadcrumbs
    1/3 cup Parmesan
    1 minced clove garlic (come on....more like 5)
    2 t dried basil
    3 1/2 c tomato sauce (Whatever you have on hand...I make sauce most weekends in the winter, so I use that, but any low sugar, low fat sauce should be fine. Or in a pinch, puree a can of italian style tomatoes)
    1 cup nonfat ricotta
    2 cups grated part skim mozzerella (8 oz)

Preheat oven to 350
    1. Beat eggwhites and salt lightly. In a separate bowl, mix breadcrumbs, parmesan, minced garlic and basil. Maybe toss in some red pepper flakes if that is your bag.

2. Dip eggplant in eggwhite, then into breadcrumb mixture. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet (spray with nonstick spray). Bake for about 20 minutes each side, until tender and golden. Leave oven on.

3. In your most fabulous Norther Italian ceramic baking dish (or alternatively, an 8x12 glass rectangle), ladle about one cup of sauce. Top with half of the eggplant, all of the ricotta, a handful of mozzerella, another cup of sauce, the remaining eggplant, remaining sauce, and remaining mozzerella.

4. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until bubbly and melty.

Mangia! Sometimes I make this on the weekend, up thru step 3, and bake it during the week. Add a little time in the oven.

Per serving: 270 cals, 19.8 g proteins, 9.9 g fat, 28.3 g carbs, 4.9 g fiber.

Thank you very much,
    I'm always looking for recipes,esp lower fat ones.