Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you make a good bowl of oatmeal???

How do you make a good bowl of oatmeal???

My mother never made oatmeal for us as we grew up, so I've never been really sure what it was actually supposed to taste like. Actually I was always afraid to try it until my husband made it when we first got married. Now he is not much of a cook... and oatmeal was dropped into boiling water and let to sit for a few minutes... then it was served with brown sugar and milk. It was good!

But... a few weeks ago we were on vacation and I ordered oatmeal for breakfast. I was afraid I would end up with a bowl of mush, but actually, the consistancey was fantastic! Much more "cooked" than we do at home, almost creamy. I'm wondering if perhaps they cooked it in milk? They must have added the oats much sooner than I'm used to as well.

Anyway, how do you cook your oatmeal? I'd love to know how to make it creamy like the restaurant did... or just plain better than mine!

Kim
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

http://livlifetoo.blogspot.com/ Visit Kim's food blog!

My favorite way to make a good comforting meal of oatmeal is just to throw in about a cup into a bowl, plenty of cinnamon, a bit of salt and water just to cover then microwave about 2 1/2 minutes. I think the key to avoiding the gumminess (if that's a word...) is not to overcook it or add too much liquid. Then I love to add some sliced up banana (or add before microwaving) or diced apples, then I usually sprinkle on some granola or cereal then top with either maple syrup, cool whip, or yogurt.
    I haven't really had it with milk, although I'm sure that would add to the creaminess of it. But adding yogurt or something similar is a good option.
    Good luck and happy oatmeal eating--

Sarah

If you go to the Quaker Oats web site, they have several recipes for oatmeal, both basic recipes and different flavors. Maybe you would have fun experimenting with the different recipes to see what types of oatmeal you like. http://quakeroats.com/qfb_Recipes/SearchResults.cfm

Kari

My favorite way is to put about 2 cups of water in a pot and bring it to a boil then add 1/2 cup of oats and let it simmer about 15-20 minutes until it's the consistancy you want- stirring every couple of minutes and more at the end as it thickens. Then at the end I throw in either some sliced bananas or fruit and splenda and cinnamon and nuts and a dash of milk. It's wonderful! Oh a scoop of peanut butter stirred in right before you serve it is great- sounds weird but oh so good!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsA05
    Oh a scoop of peanut butter stirred in right before you serve it is great- sounds weird but oh so good!
    Doesn't sound weird to me at all because it's my favorite way to eat oatmeal! Sometimes I'll stir some jelly in, too, for a PB&J oatmeal. I've even thrown in chocolate or cinnamon chips to a bowl of oatmeal, and swirled them through when they melt. So many fun things to do with oatmeal that I never get bored with it in the winter!

Kari

I use milk instead of water when making oatmeal. Now I can't go back to eating it the 'standard' way. It is creamier and more nutritious!

I loooove oatmeal! I always use quick cooking oats, just for time and patience factors. My favorite two ways: put 1/2 c. oats, 1 Tbls flaxseeds, and a handful of raisins or dried cranberries (or fresh fruit), nuke either skim milk or fat free soy milk in the microwave, and stir in the milk. It is SO good, and doesn't need any additional sugar/sweetner (especially with natural soy milk!).

The second is 1/2 c. oats, 1 Tbls Splenda, and 1tsp unsweetend cocoa powder. I bring this one to work all the time and just add hot water from the insta-hot. It is SO good.

Yay for oatmeal! Hee hee.

Kari, thanks for the link to quaker-- I had never thought to look at their recipes!

Editing to add that I think the kind you get in most restaurants is made with milk or cream on the stove top. And many places would use old-fashioned, not quick cook oats.
    -Amy-

I make oatmeal about 5 times a week and use all different types of oatmeal. One of our favorites is Alton Brown's Overnight Oatmeal. I usually make a half recipe for two, which makes two hearty, creamy bowls of oatmeal. Also, I cut back on the dried fruit.

A warning: You'll need to adjust the cook time based on your crockpot's typical heat. Mine is an old one and cooks everything at a nice and low heat. Some of the newer ones will scorch the oatmeal when cooked for 9 hours.

Overnight Oatmeal
    1 cup steel-cut oats
    1 cup dried cranberries
    1 cup dried figs (or raisins, prunes, dried apricots, etc.)
    4 cups water
    1/2 cup half and half (sometimes I use 1/2 skim, 1/2 half-and-half)
    1 tsp. cinnamon (my addition)

1. In a crock-pot, combine all ingredients and set to low heat. Cover and let cook for 8 to 9 hours.

2. Add cinnamon (if desired). Stir and remove to serving bowls. This method works best if started before you go to bed. This way your oatmeal will be finished by morning.

Yield: 4 servings, Cook Time: 9 hours

Source: www.foodtv.com, "Good Eats," Episode#: EA1E06
    Last edited by Veronica; 08-11-2005 at 08:58 AM. Reason: forgot to mention one of my mods

DH and I eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast! Ours is pretty doctored up, but we never get tired of it. Here's our recipe:

1 c. milk
    1/2 c. old fashioned oats
    1/4 c. dried cranberries/cherries/whatever
    1/2 c. granola
    pinch salt

Mix all together and cook over med. heat until bubbling and thickened. Divide into two bowls and stir in a spoon of peanut butter into each. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by RD chef
    I use milk instead of water when making oatmeal. Now I can't go back to eating it the 'standard' way. It is creamier and more nutritious!
    Milk is a must from creaminess for me. I usually add the oats while it is simmering. I love oatmeal. I usually it it plain without anything in it (fruit is eaten on the side), but I doctor it up for my DH with whatever I have one hand. This week I made him oatmeal with crushed pineapple, raisins, brown sugar, and cinnamon. He loved it.
    "You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!" Dave Barry

Honestly? I follow the directions on the package.

Mind you, old-fashioned oatmeal is going to be creamier (and healthier) than quick oatmeal, and quick oatmeal creamier (and MUCH healthier) than instant, which is garbage.

When it's done I add splenda or sugar or brown sugar (the best) and a dab of butter. I'm a purist, I don't like seasonings and fruit in mine really.

I drink milk when I eat oatmeal, but if I want to give the oatmeal itself a nutrition boost and make it even creamier, I use half milk and half water when cooking it.

I LOVE this oatmeal recipe posted by Kay Henderson on this BB:

* Exported from MasterCook *

The Best Bowl of Oatmeal

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breakfast

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 cups water
    1 cup 1% or 2% milk
    1 tablespoon Brummel & Brown Yogurt Spread
    1 cup steel-cut oats
    1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Bring water and milk to simmer in large saucepan over medium heat. Meanwhile, heat spread in medium skillet over medium heat until just beginning to foam; add oats and toast, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until golden and gragrant with butterscotch-like aroma, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.

2. Stir toasted oats into the simmering liquid, reduce leat to medium-low; simmer gently, until mixture thickens and resenbles gravy, about 20 minutes. Add salt and stir lightly with spoon handle. Continue simmering, stirring occasionally with wooden spoon hand, until oats absorb almost all liquid and oatmeal is thick and creamy with a pudding-like consistency, about 7 to 10 minutes. Off heat, let oatmeal stand uncovered 5 mintues. Serve immediately. (I often need to add extra liquid at high altitude.) Serves 4

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

I was addicted to oatmeal when I was pg with my DD. I follow the stove top directions on the back of the Quaker Oats canister. I make it more on the drier side, then I add milk, and if I'm feeling really inspired, I'll also add bananas and peaches. Oh and sometimes I top it off with honey wheat germ.

Jen

I think I like my oatmeal with more texture than most of you folks but here is how I do it - fry dry oats in a dry skillet until they are toasted, add hot water (sorry, I eyeball it and never measure), cover skillet, remove from heat, let stand a few minutes. I add nuts to the first step sometimes and add berries at the end but never sugar. this is not a creamy type oatmeal.
    Anne

Place 1 cup of water into small saucepan, add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and add 1/2 cup oldfashioned oats (from Whole Foods Bulk @.49 cents per #).
    Bring to a boil, turn to low and simmer 5 minutes, perhaps stirring it once or twice. Serve with a drop of milk and maple syrup.
    Curleytop

Oatmeal!

I love oatmeal! And the way my mom used to make it for us was the simplest ever, and always cooked in milk! In my opinion it is not the same when you cook it in water...
    Here is how we make it at home: put in a sauce pan 1 cup of milk, 3 tablespoons oatmeal and 1 or 2 tablespoons sugar (depending on your taste). Put it over medium-high heat and cook it, stirring all the time, until creamy and delicious!
    It is easy and simple! But you have to stir it constantly so it does not stick to the bottom of the pan. It gets creamy and sooo good! I love oatmeal, specially in the winter!
    Also, variations are endless. You can use your imagination and add raisins, cinnamon, vanilla... depends upon what you like!
    Ana

This couples with the post on rice cookers. I made my first and fabulous rice cooker oatmeal today. I made it on the porrige setting on the Zojirushi "fuzzy logic" rice cooker. Great! I loved programing it in the night before and having the oatmeal hot and ready the next morning. Great feature on this rice cooker.
    It's like the programable coffee settings on coffee machines. Such a treat to wake up to that smell. This is the same thing, only I was smelling my oatmeal instead of coffee. The oatmeal was as perfect as if I had been stirring for a half hour.
    Mmmmm, Mmmmm, Good!

78704 - more than a zipcode, it's a lifestyle.
    LOL, just the other day I had Quaker Instant Maple and Brown Sugar oatmeal (no need to share the gory details, I was trapped at grammy's house and it was the best of the options available). I felt like I was eating a bowl of sugar! The crystals of sweetener were crunching in my mouth. And I used to LOVE the darn stuff... I didn't eat breakfast for the rest of the visit.

Now I love my steel cut oats. Especially made in the crock pot overnight with some cocoa powder and chocolate (soy or regular) milk. It's like pudding for breakfast!

--Kristin
    Your actions speak so loudly I can hardly hear you - Henry David Thoreau

Quaker Oats used to offer two different sets of directions. They suggested adding the oats to the water and/or milk while cold, and then bringing to a boil for creamier oatmeal. Works for me.

I did it! I made a better bowl of oatmeal!!!

Gathering everyone's ideas and kind of "winging" it, I poured "some" water into the pan along with "some" milk and added the oats immediately (instead of after it was boiling as I used to do). I also added less oats than I usually do. Then I let is simmer for about 8 minutes and let it sit for about 5 (the phone rang!). It was the best bowl I've ever made!

Kim
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

http://livlifetoo.blogspot.com/ Visit Kim's food blog!

congrats!!!!
    Curleytop

Being in my sixties, I was raised with "firm oatmeal"; I think the method was a throw back to using wood stoves. Anyway, I can't eat the mushy oatmeal of today.

Bring the water to a boil; add the oatmeal and cook for one minute. Put an airtight lid on the pan and set it off the burner. Let it set overnight. When ready to serve, put in a bowl and microwave to heat it. Sweeten it and pour a little milk over cereal. This works with steel cut oats as well and cuts down on the morning prep time if you are in a hurry; all you have to do is reheat the oats and finish it with sweetener, etc.

I like to add cinnamon and vanilla extract to the water before adding the oats. And then add fresh/frozen fruit. Remember, if you are counting calories dried fruit adds more calories than fresh fruit.

~Paula

Kim -

Glad the new method worked out! If you decide you need a quicker "fix", I make mine pretty much the same way, but in the microwave. One half cup old fashioned oats, one half cup water, & one half cup milk cooked on high for about two minutes. It does boil over, so I make it in a large bowl. While hot, I stir in LOTS of cinnamon, a pinch of brown sugar and some frozen blueberries and let it sit for a minute or two until it's the right consistency. Yum!

It is my firm belief that the secret to a good bowl of oatmeal is to use "Steel Cut" oatmeal. We buy it at Trader Joe's but you can get it any where you can find Red Mill products. (I beleive that is the name).

We make up a whole batch and put it in the fridge at night before going to bed and with it being just my honey and I we can eat out of that bowl of oat meal for a few days. Ya just take a scoop out and put it in a bow. along with a tiny bit of milk, a tiny bit of butter and some brown sugar. Put it in the microwave for approx 90 seconds and you have a wonderful fuss free bowl of oat meal in no time!
    ~~~Diane~~~
    I lift up my eyes to the hills-
    where does my help come from?
    My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
    Psalms 121:1,2

Although I have several versions of oatmeal that I enjoy making - including CL's baked oatmeal - I have continued to buy grocery store packets for the mornings when my DH makes breakfast for our three year old (who loves oatmeal). Although my three year old doesn't mind the taste, I really hate the high sugar content in those packets. I found this recipe on recipezaar (originally from TOH) the other day for dry oatmeal mix which you can store in an airtight container. We had it this morning and it was really good. I usually cook my oatmeal in soy milk instead of water...sometimes vanilla flavored. I think I will start keeping this mix on hand. For anyone who is interested...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dry Oatmeal Mix

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breakfast

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 cups quick-cooking oats
    1 1/3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
    1 cup dried apples or other dried fruit
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT:
    8 cups water -- 1/2 cup per serving

In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients.

To prepare oatmeal: Shake mix well and measure out oatmeal into bowl, add water, and microwave for 3 minutes. Or on a stovetop, in a saucepan, bring water to a boil; slowly stir in mix. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 1 minute or until oatmeal reaches desired consistency.

Source:
    "February/March 2003 issue of Taste of Home's Light and Tasty"

NOTES : 1/2 cup water + 1/2 cup mix equals one serving.

Store in an airtight conatiner in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.

Could leave dried fruit out and add as desired...
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

I have a slightly different method you might find interesting. Although I don't care for oatmeal cooked in milk, I found that cooking it just with water seemed to leave it lacking in flavor and texture. I use a little applesauce, reasoning that if applesauce can be used in baked goods to replace fat, why not in oatmeal?

I use one-half cup thick-cut oats (I like the texture--I buy these in bulk at Wild Oats or the local health food store), a pinch of salt, lots of cinnamon, two globs of applesauce, and water. I mix this well in a bowl, put it in the microwave on high for one minute, stir well, and cook another 45-60 seconds. Stir well, and eat. I often add fruit or nuts. I don't measure anything except the oatmeal, so sorry about non-scientific proportions. This is my standard breakfast, winter and summer.

Thanks to everyone for their input; it's great reading all the oatmeal tips!

I started soaking the oats overnight in milk, and wow is it creamy! I like it so much better, not so chunky.

I've always been eating Avena, which I think is just the ground up oats, more into a powdery form. It comes out like thick pancake batter. Is this what they call porridge?
    It is easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I know that this is not exactly what you asked for but my favorite way to eat oatmeal is in a breakfast bar. I had a fairly healthy one that I found at a local store and they stopped carrying it which made me go searching for one to make myself. I found one on the internet that is fabulous and stays with you for hours. Recipe follows:
    3/4 cup sugar 4tblsp margarine 2 egg whites 2tsp vanilla
    1 tsp bakins soda 1/4 tsp salt 1 cup raisins 1/2 cup sugar
    3/4 cup apple butter or sauce (I used Musselmans apple, peach, cherry fruit
    spread) 2tblsp skim milk 1 1/2 cups flour 1tsp cinnamon
    3 cups uncooked old fashioned oats

Beat together sugars and margarine. Add apple butter,egg whites, milk, and vanilla-beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and mix well. Spread into greased 9x13 pan and cook 30 minutes at 350 or until brown. I cut these into 16 bars after cooling and then wrap individually in saran wrap and put in air tight tupperware. My teenagers love them for a quick breakfast to grab with a glass of milk or snack. Each bar contains 180 calories, 4 grams of fat, 4 grams of protein and 32 carbs. Some carbs are from the sugar, but most are from the oatmeal, flour, and raisins and are healthy. You'll be amazed to see how filling these are. By the last bite you are definitely not wanting more.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I make oatmeal about 5 times a week and use all different types of oatmeal. One of our favorites is Alton Brown's Overnight Oatmeal. I usually make a half recipe for two, which makes two hearty, creamy bowls of oatmeal. Also, I cut back on the dried fruit.

A warning: You'll need to adjust the cook time based on your crockpot's typical heat. Mine is an old one and cooks everything at a nice and low heat. Some of the newer ones will scorch the oatmeal when cooked for 9 hours.

Overnight Oatmeal
    1 cup steel-cut oats
    1 cup dried cranberries
    1 cup dried figs (or raisins, prunes, dried apricots, etc.)
    4 cups water
    1/2 cup half and half (sometimes I use 1/2 skim, 1/2 half-and-half)
    1 tsp. cinnamon (my addition)

1. In a crock-pot, combine all ingredients and set to low heat. Cover and let cook for 8 to 9 hours.

2. Add cinnamon (if desired). Stir and remove to serving bowls. This method works best if started before you go to bed. This way your oatmeal will be finished by morning.

Yield: 4 servings, Cook Time: 9 hours

Source: www.foodtv.com, "Good Eats," Episode#: EA1E06
    this method, even with water instead of milk, makes the reamiest oatmeal. having tried it on the big crock and the little, two different methods, i like it best when i cook it on High for an hour before bed, then switch to Warm till morning. It's piping hot and never overcooked. I just use the same amounts for water/oats (or other cooked grain cereals) as on the paackage-- it doesn't need extra water because the crockpot preserves the moisture. so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Brown View Post
    I started soaking the oats overnight in milk, and wow is it creamy! I like it so much better, not so chunky.

I've always been eating Avena, which I think is just the ground up oats, more into a powdery form. It comes out like thick pancake batter. Is this what they call porridge?

porridge is actually steel-cut scottish-type oats, like McCanns, or any whole grain cooked in liquid, not a ground up one.