Community Message Boards

Thread: What would you serve with this?

What would you serve with this?

I'm really struggling for what to serve with a chicken dish that I have planned later in the week - it seems like it needs to be something other than a salad to combat the heat in the chicken but nothing's sounding right to me - whipped sweet potatoes maybe? Just plain rice or quinoa? Any thoughts?

Here's the recipe (comments are from a poster on Recipezaar):

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sauteed Chicken Breast With Clover Honey and Chili

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : chicken

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts -- sliced thin strips
    salt and fresh ground black pepper -- to taste
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 tablespoons finely-chopped shallots
    1/2 cup clover honey -- slightly warmed
    3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
    3 tablespoons medium hot chili paste -- ancho chilies
    1 cup chicken stock
    1/4 cup sour cream
    4 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
    1/2 cup pecans -- roughly chopped, and toasted

Season the strips of chicken breast with salt, pepper and the ground cumin.

Heat a skillet with the olive oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken to the pan, spreading the chicken out to evenly cook the strips. Cook the chicken until golden-brown, add the chopped shallots and continue to cook, giving the pan a good stiff flip every now and then.

Add the honey and vinegar to the pan, removing chicken to plate while sauce is completed. Be careful of the volatile combination of hot honey and vinegar. Quickly stir in the chili paste and the stock, bring to the boil and reduce the sauce quickly by 1/4. Add the sour cream and heat until just below the boil, stir in the cilantro leaves, plate and garnish with the toasted pecans.

Source:
    "Recipezaar"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 313 Calories; 20g Fat (59.3% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 72mg Cholesterol; 619mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : This hurts sooo good. It's sweet, it burns, it entices you to take the next bite. Don't know why this hasn't been tried before now because it's terrific. The sauce is the best part and there's plenty of it. I didn't serve this with rice but I will next time. I had to adjust the chili paste downward a little (chili wimp) but otherwise followed the recipe.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

I would do a steamed plain rice and sliced, ice-cold cucumbers. Your chicken recipe sounds really good!

I agree, plain white rice would be best, or brown rice if you prefer. The chicken is going to be so flavorful that I wouldn't want a side that had a lot of flavor to compete -- you want something that's bland and cooling. And I love the idea of a cucumber side, that's an excellent idea.

Brown rice and sour cream cuke salad...yum, yum...I think this will go on the menu for next week

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

I had potstickers in a Thai restaurant, and we also had cucumber salad. It was thin sliced cucumbers with carrots dressed with rice wine vinegar and sugar. It really cut the hotness of that delicious so spicy chili sauce that you douse the potstickers with.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Rice it is!

Thanks everyone! I'll post a review after we've had it - it's scheduled for later in the week -

Mmmm... I keep thinking a skins-on, chunky potato salad with some sort of sourcream dressing sounds good. The cold and creamy would off-set the spicy chicken.

~Emilie~
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/