Community Message Boards

Thread: Quantum Fem Balance--anyone tried it?

Quantum Fem Balance--anyone tried it?

I just read in Organic Style magazine about Quantum Fem Balance. They interviewed the ***'t supplements buyer for My Organic Market and she said, "I take Quantum Fem Blance, a hormone-balancing formula with dong quai, chastetree berry and red raspberry leaf. I can't believe how energetic I am and how much it's helped my libido."

Anyone tried it? I am very curious. I drank red rasp. leaf tea when i was prego and i think it really helped with my labor pains, but who knows! can't go back and try it without any feedback would be appreciated...even if it's to say "this stuff is bunk..."

I really wouldn't know if it works or not, but then sometimes I have a hard time trusting things that are not scientifically proven 100 times over...however, I was wondering, how unbiased is this supplements buyer's opinion? She sounds a little too close to the whole business for my taste.

And I am so curious...what are the little asterisks masking?? I can't figure that one out.

Angela

I think it might have been assorted. ***'t

Yep. That was it.

Sorry, it wouldn't let me edit.

Actually it's ASSISTANT oops! didn't even think about that one...thanks for your opinion, i appreciate that. i feel the same way..just not sure but it sounds good!

In theory, Quantum Fem Balance could do what they say it does, but I take products like this with a grain of salt. Why? Look at the product itself. It has 15 herbs in it. Herbal medicine is no different from phramaceutical medicine in that the dosages are important. In fact, herbal medicine is much more complicated than pharmaceutical medicine because not only is the dosage important, but the part of the plant, the time of year it was harvested, how it was handled, and all aspects of extraction and processing are critical to how it performs. For example, Chaste Tree, one of the components of this product, can be awesome for increasing natural progesterone production in the female body, as well as possibly for helping control tremors in Parkinson's patients, but the chemical involved in the Parkinson's aspect is only present in the plant when it is harvested off-season.

Anyway, getting back to this stuff, it has 15 different herbs. Unless those are REALLY big capsules, or you have to take a LOT of them everyday, it is unlikely that you are getting any therapeutic dosage of any of them. That doesn't mean it can't work, but many American herb companies take an almost homeopathic approach to their products and neglect all of the science involved in these plants.

I routinely use herbs like Chaste Tree, Dong Quai, Wild Yam, Sage, Shatavari and others when balancing the female hormone system. When I do it, though, I use formulas that have actual therapeutic dosages of each herb, from manufacturers that I know do nothing but the best job in handling herbs and making their products. The shotgun approach to these herbal products is laughable because they put so much stuff in each tablet it makes for a nice read on the label to unsuspecting consumers, but makes herbalists or people in the know just roll their eyes.

So, yes, this product COULD work, but in my opinion, if you're interested in taking herbs, it pays to consult a real, practicing herbalist. When you need a prescription I doubt you head to the Black Market Back Alley pharmacy downtown with a self-diagnosis and a protocol and plan you developed yourself, right? Same should apply to herbs.
    Chiropractic care is health care for the 21st century.

thank you DocAgocs! that is exactly the perspective i was wanting, thank you for your honesty and straightforwardness! may i ask where you buy your herbs, etc.? i wouldn't know where to begin even finding a herbalist locally that really knew what he/she is doing.

Sweetpea, I won't be of much help. All of my protocols and all of my recommendations to patients involve products made by MediHerb, an Australian herbal company that I feel is the best at making herbal extracts and marrying science with traditional herbal use. Downside is that they only sell to health care practitioners, so you can't go to the health food store and find their stuff. As of late I have been impressed with the knowledge and attention to detail of "Herbal Ed" whose company is called Herb Pharm. I think their site is www.herb-pharm.com. I believe you can buy direct from them or find their stuff at health food stores. I haven't used any of their products or seen their materials for doctors yet (just called them today), but I've listened to about 30 hours of lecture material from Ed that he makes available as Podcasts and I am highly impressed, so I'm hoping that his products are as good as he is. Still, be somewhat careful using herbs because they can have side effects and unexpected results with medications, etc. By and large they are quite safe, much safer than pharmaceuticals, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be approached with respect.

Herbalists run the gamut from hippy dippy weirdos to guys in three piece suits. Just like any health care provider, the best way to find a good one is ask your friends and aquaintances, etc and get a recommendation. Also, check the American Herbalists Guild website and see if there are any registered herbalists nearby where you are. You never know!
    Chiropractic care is health care for the 21st century.