Community Message Boards

Thread: Help with how to do temperature Degrees without typing the word.

Hold down the "alt" key, and press 0186.

Thanks Grace, Of course I have to try this.

When I tried this my computer beeped at me.

[This message has been edited by jazzcat (edited 05-14-2001).]

I gotta try this too....
    think it worked! Thanks Grace!

OK, Jazzcat - I don't exactly know why it didn't work, but there is another option for you....go to your Windows Start menu, go to programs, accessories, system tools, character map.

There you will see the "key" to all the "weird" characters you might want to type. There are actually lots of character maps, so the one that is "pre-set" in your computer may not be the standard one most of us have. So look through the character map for the degree symbol, and then next to it it will tell you what you have to do to get it. Hope that helps!

[This message has been edited by Grace (edited 05-14-2001).]

jazzcat - make sure that you use your number keypad to the right of the letter keys - not the numbers above the letter keys.

- it worked for me - thanks to all.

I just used to type 350 F, rather than 350 degrees.

AHA - ALYSHA!!! That was one I never knew!! Thanks. I always use the number keypad to the right out of habit - never considered that anyone might try the ones on top of the keyboard, nor did I know that it wouldn't work! Aren't we just a bunch of geniuses?!!

I'll try again. Yeah, thanks Grace and lindrusso. BTW, that character map is mighty strange. I thought I'd need a magnifying glass to find what I wanted. It's amazing what I learn on this BB. Thanks again.

Just a test: 180

Hmmmm, not working with either the Alt+0186 or Alt+0176 (as indicated on the nearly impossible to read character map thingy).

My laptop doesn't have a keypad on the side- only on top. I'll try from my PC in a bit...

Trying again from my PC

It worked!! The difference was using the keypad to the right of the letter keys-

[This message has been edited by KValley (edited 05-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by KValley (edited 05-14-2001).]

Talking

Question

I don't have "Character Map" as noted above. ??? Might it be someplace else? Thanks!
    Lynn

Originally posted by Grace:
    ...There are actually lots of character maps, so the one that is "pre-set" in your computer may not be the standard one most of us have...

[This message has been edited by Grace (edited 05-14-2001).]

Grace,

This statement intrigued me. I've been using the character map for years, since I require the use of accented vowels, cedillas and such, but don't have foreign software per se. While I'm aware you can change the character map to accomodate the particular font you're using (the logic of which I'm missing, since they all seem to use same codes anyway) I'm wondering what other character maps are you referring to? I'm only on Windows 95, so is there something new and exciting? (or not-so-new and exciting?)

KValley, I'm wondering... on my laptop, I've got letters which double as number keys since it also lacks the right keyboard. On my model, there's a key I believe is marked FN which, in conjunction with the ALT + codes will allow me to use the character map. You can also use the character map by means of the more-tedious cut-and-paste method.

Originally posted by Gail:

KValley, I'm wondering... on my laptop, I've got letters which double as number keys since it also lacks the right keyboard. On my model, there's a key I believe is marked FN which, in conjunction with the ALT + codes will allow me to use the character map. You can also use the character map by means of the more-tedious cut-and-paste method.

Gail, I have always wondered what that FN button was for. ANd indeed, I do have numerals 1-6 on letters- I absolutely never noticed this. I've shut down my laptop for the day (it's my work computer and my work day is DONE), but I'll try this again tomorrow using the FN and/or the other number/letter keys.
    Howjya get so smart?

Thank you!!

Originally posted by KValley:

Gail, I have always wondered what that FN button was for. ANd indeed, I do have numerals 1-6 on letters- I absolutely never noticed this. I've shut down my laptop for the day (it's my work computer and my work day is DONE), but I'll try this again tomorrow using the FN and/or the other number/letter keys.
    Howjya get so smart?

Thank you!!

Well let's not jump the gun YET. I might not have solved your problem...

Gail,

Indeed the terminology I used is misleading. I meant exactly what you say, in that there is often a different character map for different fonts. So if someone has their font set to something that isn't the standard one Windows presets, then it's possible the alt+0186 won't work, and the code will be something else. Sorry to say, there is nothing new and exciting. But I just checked a few of the different character maps that come up when I change the font, and alt+0186 is different (i.e., not the degree symbol) with many of them. That's what I was referring to - sorry if I cause confusion!

350 -- all right, it worked!
    Another cool trick I learned on this BB!
    Thanks!

Here are a few more for you!
    For all of the following "codes", enter the numbers while depressing the "ALT" key - you don't have to enter the "+" sign. On my computer, this only works if you use the number key pad to the right of the main board(not the numbers directly above the letter board).

alt + 0186
    alt + 0232
    alt + 0233
    alt + 0231
    alt + 0234
    alt + 0169
    alt + 0174
    alt + 0153 (that's TM)
    alt + 0149
    alt + 0188 (that's 1/4 - I'd like to use these more, but they are too hard to see!)
    alt + 0189 (1/2)
    alt + 0190 (3/4)

! cool, and thanks!

Exclamation

I gotta try

Woo Hoo. It's the little things in life that entertain me!!

Cool!

Fun!
    I now know 3 new computer things from the cool people on this BB!

cool!