Community Message Boards

Thread: preparing/storing chili peppers

preparing/storing chili peppers

I guess I am just full of questions today. But I just bought some Hatch Peppers (that are basically anaheim from what I can find out). I am not sure what to do with them now though. I know that they should probably be blistered over a flame to get the skins off, but I am not sure where to go from there. Can I freeze them at this point? Do I need to peel them before freezing? And how should I store them until I can get them all cooked up? Thanks for any tips you can provide.
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

I've only roasted peppers several times - the way I did them was broil until charred. Remove from the oven and into a ziploc for about 10 minutes. Then peel the skins after sitting/cooling. I'm not quite sure this is the "right way" but it worked for me. As far as storage goes, maybe someone else has some ideas....HTH

My brother had a bunch of jalapeno's, wax, and two other kinds of chili peppers and I just cut them all up and froze them to use during the winter.

If you wanted to roast them to get the skin off I don't see why you couldn't and then freeze them.
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

www.peaceiswise.blogspot.com

Freezing chile peppers

I've bought and stored chile peppers for a few years now. I first learned about it from my daughter, who used to live in NM. The first time we roasted them, cooled them in a plastic bag, peeled and seeded them, and then froze them in small portion ziploc bags. The next, and subsequent times, we just roasted them under the broiler(as noted previously), cooled them in a bag, and then simply froze them without any further prep in small bags. When you defrost them, they are easy to peel and deseed. (Peeling them under running water is easiest, but not necessary. Then cut the stem end off, make a slit on one side, open the pepper up and slide the seeds out with the flat side of a knife.) Actually, where we live in AZ, the markets often sell them fire-roasted on the spot; then you just bring them home and freeze in portion-sized ziploc bags. I usually put 7-8 peppers in each bag; that's usually a reasonable amount for most recipes, and I don't have a big bagful of peppers left over to use in a short time. Hope this helps!