Community Message Boards

Thread: Gorgeous Rainbow Chard...what to do?

Gorgeous Rainbow Chard...what to do?

I received a gorgeous bunch of rainbow chard in my produce box this week. I have never had chard before and am stymied as to how to prepare it. Does anyone have any great recipes that they would like to share that highlight this wonderful vegetable?
    Thanks!
    Shannon

Here is a link to search results with chard in the title.

You can use it pretty much like spinach as well.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Here is a CL recipe for my favorite lentil soup with chard:

http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking...cipe_id=549829

It is really a good one, but I use chicken stock rather than water when I make it.

Otherwise, I like to sauté chard in a little olive oil with salt, pepper, garlic and fresh oregano.

Hi! This recipe is a touch fiddly because of toying with the tofu, but the taste combinations are just wonderful. I made this with Bright Lights Swiss chard from my garden (it's a CL recipe). Enjoy! - Wendy

Tofu & Swiss Chard Stacks

Tofu:
    2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
    1 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine) (I used balsamic vinegar)
    2 teaspoons rice vinegar
    1 teaspoon honey
    1 (12.3 oz.) pack reduced-fat firm tofu drained

Chard:
    1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
    1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
    1 1/2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    4 cups thinly sliced Swiss chard
    1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
    2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
    1 or 2 cups cooked rice

TOFU: Combine the first 4 ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Cut tofu lengthwise into 4 slices. Carefully place tofu in a 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Pour the soy sauce mixture over tofu. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes, carefully turning once.

Preheat broiler.

Remove tofu from dish; save marinade for rice. Place tofu on an oiled baking sheet. Broil 10 minutes on each side or until tofu is lightly browned.

GREENS: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sesame seeds; toast them. Then add mushrooms, ginger, pepper, and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add chard; cook 3 minutes or until chard wilts. Stir in 2 teaspoons soy sauce.

Place 1/4 cup chard mixture on each of 2 plates; top each serving with 1 tofu slice. Repeat layers with remaining chard and tofu.

Yield: 2 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 155(29% from fat); FAT 5g (sat 0.4g,mono 1.2g,poly 2.8g); PROTEIN 13.8g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 130mg; SODIUM 754mg; FIBER 2.1g; IRON 3.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 12.4g

Steve Petusevsky
    Cooking Light, JANUARY 2003

I'll actually eat it raw, fresh from the box. My housemate doesn't like it this way, but I love it. I put it on sandwiches or make little "tacos" with it wrapping up whatever is around, last week was a cucumber salad with yogurt and dill, this week fresh tomatoes and almonds.

Strange, I know, but good

Emily

I love chard in salad with other greens. It also works great in a simple stir-fry with onions, mushrooms, snowpeas and either garbanzos or meat.
    Anne

I'm sorry I don't have the recipe, as my husband made this, and I don't know where the recipe came from, BUT, wow, this was good:

He sauteed the washed, dried and cut up chard with olive oil, maybe 1 clove of garlic, raisens, pinenuts, some dried chili flakes, salt, and pepper, and then added a dash of balsamic at the end. It didn't seem to take more than 5 minutes, total time. Very zippy side dish.

Epicurious.com has some similar recipes, but none with all of these ingredients that I could see.

I also had my eye on CL's 4/04 Greek Greens and Sweet Onion Pie (kind of like Spanokopita) for my garden harvest of chard, but I was too lazy to pick it, and it went to seed! I like a similar CL Spanokopita. Here's the link:

http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking...cipe_id=604774

Good Luck with that pretty veggie! (I grow chard just for looks, but it is tasty llike spinach)

One of my favorites is a recipe in Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone by Deborah Madison, Lasagna with Eggplant and Swiss Chard . Try doing a search on epicurious. They have a good polenta and chard recipe as well. I also use it like spinach in soups. It's mild and quite tasty that way.

Enjoy
    Karen

Well, I ended up making the following recipe which was a huge hit in my house. My 11 month old gobbled lots of this up as did I. It is yummy! I only used chard in my recipe.

BAKED CHEESY CHARD AND/OR SPINACH
    What You Need:
    1 1/4 pounds spinach AND/OR chard (this is a recipe where you can easily
    use only chard, in place of spinach.)
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    3 eggs, beaten (you can also use an equal measure of
    an egg substitute, like Egg Beaters)
    3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    1 cup milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart baking dish.
    2 Clean greens thoroughly. Remove all excess water. Chop. Arrange greens and flour in layers, nestle beaten eggs about midway between the layers.
    3 Combine cheese and bread crumbs. Mix in optional parsley, if desired. Sprinkle over top of greens. Mix butter or margarine, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over all ingredients. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 50 minutes to one hour.

Bumping this thread up! Tonight was the first time I have ever made Swiss chard ,and it was very good. Tastes a lot like spinach. I will make this aain , but I think I will use a deeper casserole. There were little patches of flour peeking out after it was done, and in the shallow casserole that I used it baked in no time. I used 2 egg beaters and one egg and skim milk. The DGK were here for supper and none of them would touch it. So, Shannon, consider yourself lucky that your little one gobbled it up. Thanks for posting.

Vicky

Chard is one of my favorite vegetables! If you're looking for more recipes, Vicky, check out these from Capay Organic farms. Sorry the GKs wouldn't eat the casserole - I would think that would be a sure-fire way to get them to the chard.

Now I'm craving chard! My favorite way to cook it is to saute the leaves in olive oil with fresh garlic and pine nuts, then add crumbled feta cheese just to melt. Sometimes I'll add some fresh dill and a squirt of lemon juice.

This is an old post I think from Moosewood, lowfat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our favorite...
    I love the second one, got this either from LGBurns or Emilycat, thanks again!!
    Swiss Chard Rolls Two Ways

Here are not one but two versions of stuffed Swiss chard rolls, one with a hearty grain and mushroom filling, the other with a low-fat cheese filling. Once you have the knack for folding the chard leaves into little packages, the preparation is quite effortless.
    Anytime you have leftover bulgur and/or rice, remember they're perfect for the mushroom filling. If you're cooking the rice and bulgur especially for this dish, prepare the Swiss chard leaves and the rest of the mushroom filling while the rice simmers and the bulgur soaks. You will need 1/3 cup of raw rice and 3/8 cup of raw bulgur.
    For entertaining of festive occasions, serve both kinds of rolls; they compliment one another nicely.

12 large Swiss chard leaves

Mushroom Filling

1 c. finely chopped onions
    4 garlic cloves, minced and pressed
    1 t. olive oil
    1 celery stalk, chopped
    1/2 t. dried marjoram
    1 c. sliced mushrooms (about 4 ounces)
    1 T. dry sherry
    1 T. soy sauce
    1/2 t. dill
    pinch of thyme
    1 c. cooked bulgur
    1 c. cooked brown rice
    2 T. currants
    1 T. fresh lemon juice

Cheese Filling

2 leeks, well-rinsed and minced (about 1 1/2 cups)
    1 t. olive oil
    dash of salt
    3 scallions, minced
    1 1/2 pounds 1% cottage cheese (about 3 cups)
    2 T. chopped fresh basil
    salt and ground black pepper to taste

2 large tomatoes, sliced (optional)
    1 c. tomato juice

nonfat sour cream or yogurt

Remove and discard the stems and any tough ribs of the Swiss chard. Blanch the leaves in boiling water for 3 or 4 minutes, until pliable. Set aside.
    To prepare the mushroom filling, saute the onions and garlic in the oil for 3 minutes.
    Ad the celery and marjoram, cover, and cook on medium heat from 5 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Stir in the mushrooms, sherry, soysauce, dill and thyme and simmer until the mushrooms are tender and juicy. Remove from the heat and stir in the bulgur, rice, currants and lemon juice.

To prepare the cheese filling, saute the leeks in oil for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt, cover and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until tender and bright green, stirring often to prevent sticking. Remove from the heat. Add the scallions, cottage cheese, basil and salt and pepper to taste and mix well.

Preheat oven to 350.
    Prepare a 9 x 12-inch nonreactive baking dish with a very light coating of oil or cooking spray. Cover the bottom with the tomato slices, if using, and set aside.
    Place about 1/4 cup of the filling in the center of each Swiss chard leaf. Fold the sides of each leaf toward the center, and then roll it up from the stem end to the tip to form a neat little package. Place the rolls, seam side down, in the baking dish, pour the tomato juice over them, and voer tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until heated through. Serve the rolls with some pan juices spooned over the top and, in desired, garnish with a dollop of nonfat sour cream or yogurt.

Serves 4 to 6
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Canice, thanks for posting that site; I booked marked it . The goat cheese, chard and mushroom tart sounds delish.

SusanL, thanks for posting that recipe. It also sounds delish.

Vicky