Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with Raw Honey!

What to do with Raw Honey!

I was at the Farmers Market when I went to Minneapolis. I got carried away and bought a BIG jar of raw honey and I have no idea what to do with it. How many peanutbutter and honey sandwiches can one girl eat. I also like honey in my tea, but it is still too warm to be tea season.

Any recipe suggestions? I thought I remembered some chicken with honey marinade, but I couldn't find anything in my searching.

Thank you!
    Colleen

DH and I are huge honey collectors. We buy local honey whereever we visit, and even have thyme honey from Greece (thanks Kingwell!), and wildflower honey from Mexico. THe nice thing about honey is that it doesn't go bad, and if it thickens up (and turns opaque), you just immerse the jar in some warm water, or leave it in a sunny window, and it will go back to its liquid state. I love honey!

We use honey in our iced tea (be sure to mix it in when the tea is still warm). It is great with some fresh mint.

Also, I love sesame tofu (could be made w/ chicken as well). I don't have an acutal recipe for it, but basically you mix 2-3 Tbsp. honey w/ 2-3 Tbsp. tamari (we use low-sodium). Add minced ginger and garlic and rice vinegar. Brown the tofu cubes (or chicken), then pour this mixture over them. Let simmer for 30seconds to 1 minute (until thickened). Then sprinkle w/ sesame seeds (toasted or not). I use about 2-3 Tbsp (I love them!). Serve over rice or soba noodles. You can also add veggies to the mix. Quick and yummy!

DmOrtega Guest

Thumbs up

I absolutely love a good plain yogurt topped with honey. The thicker the yogurt the better. Give a greek style or yogurt cheese from Trader Joe's a try with honey.

We also really like this chicken recipe for lemon-honey chicken with olives .
    Last edited by DmOrtega; 09-08-2005 at 02:34 PM.

I have a healthy Dr. Weil banana bread recipe that uses honey instead of sugar if you're interested. It's whole grain and really good.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieM
    I have a healthy Dr. Weil banana bread recipe that uses honey instead of sugar if you're interested. It's whole grain and really good.
    JulieM -- would you mind posting the recipe? I love baking recipes that use honey. Thanks!

Here ya go. I usually add about 1/3 cup of ground flax seed. I haven't tried it yet, but on the next batch I'm going to add semisweet chocolate chips! It's also good with craisins (DH's favorite).

Banana Bread

Native to the Caribbean and Central America, bananas are one of Americaís favorite fruits. They are rich in potassium - one banana contains 450 mg of potassium, one-fifth of the adult daily requirement - and offer a fair share of magnesium (33 mg), too. In addition, bananas help to strengthen the stomach lining and are good for soothing indigestion. Most banana bread recipes are saturated with butter and sugar. This one uses a small amount of canola oil instead - which is much better for your heart - and honey, which of course means lots of flavor. Donít use regular whole-wheat flour. It is too heavy for this recipe. Look for whole-wheat pastry flour instead.

3 very ripe bananas
    1/2 cup honey
    3 tablespoons expeller-pressed canola oil, plus a little more for oiling the loaf pan
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a loaf pan.

2. Mash the bananas and mix with the honey, canola oil and vanilla extract.

3. Stir together the whole-wheat pastry flour, baking soda and salt. Add the nuts.

4. Blend the two mixtures and spoon into a lightly oiled loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes, or until center is set.

Serves 12

Nutrients Per Serving
    Calories: 199.8
    Protein: 3.0 grams
    Fat: 8.4grams
    Saturated Fat: 0.7grams
    Monounsat Fat: 4.8 grams
    Polyunsat Fat: 2.4grams
    Carbohydrate: 31.6 grams
    Fiber: 3.2 grams
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Vitamin A: 35.9 IU
    Vitamin E: 1.0 mg/IU

My first response with honey is hot tea or wheat bread. I know I have other recipes I use it in, but I'm drawing blank. Let's see, there is at least one pecan pie recipe and a sugar cookie recipe (soft and honey flavored).

I use it when I make smoothies. I put in yoghurt, some fresh friet and 2-3T of honey. I have a honey cake recipe if you want, from Better Baking.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Another place to use honey is on hot cornbread or hot buttered biscuits. YUM!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

I love raw honey! I just got into it in the last 6 months ago. I know some people eat it plain, a spoonful a day for its health benefits.

I like to put it in my fat-free plain yogurt with strawberries. It's also really good on Ak-Mak crackers.

One time I tried using it instead of regular honey in a glazed sea bass dish and we didn't like it at all. I'm sure there are some times when it's better to use regular honey.

Thanks for bringing this up. I think more people should know about raw honey. I like the brand called Really Raw from Whole Foods.

Beth
    Check out my food blog:
    http://www.zenfoodism.com/
    Daily updates with recipes, cookbook reviews, restaurant reviews, and more... from San Diego to the World!

Quote Originally Posted by JulieM
    Here ya go. I usually add about 1/3 cup of ground flax seed. I haven't tried it yet, but on the next batch I'm going to add semisweet chocolate chips! It's also good with craisins (DH's favorite).
    Thanks JulieM!

Raw honey is much healthier, but to really be the most beneficial honey should be from your local area as it gives you immunities from your own surroundings.

I use honey in my BBQ sauce and (hopefully with a search you can find the recipe on the BB, if not I can type it and post) Teriyaki Beets. One of our favorites.

Raw honey is also great to use on cuts and burns, canker sores, etc. It has many healing properties.

We don't use anything other than raw honey anymore. If I need a more liquid product I gently warm it in some warm water (in a glass container).

Here are some interesting links:

Raw Honey #1 Honey

Lisa

Well I just learned something! I thought all honey was raw. I've only ever bought it that way, and thought it was all raw. I didn't know it came processed.

I also mostly use honey in my tea or for baking bread. I like to mix it with butter and smear it on cornbread occasionally too.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

DmOrtega Guest
    This recipe came with my produce bin, delivered this week. It's sounds easy and I bet it's pretty good.

Roasted Figs with Baby Greens and Honey Vinaigrette
    Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence and JoAnn Cianciulli

4 small fresh black mission figs, stemmed
    Extra-virgin olive oil
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    3 tablespoons orange blossom honey
    1 tablespoon warm water
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    2 cups baby mixed greens (you can substitute your butter lettuce and spinach)
    1 handful each assorted fresh herbs, such as parsley, basil, and chives, finely chopped
    4 ounces gorgonzola, cut in big chunks

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut a small \"X\" in the top of the figs and squeeze it gently to crown it slightly. Put the figs on a sheet pan, drizzle them with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake until the figs are soft and caramelized, about 15 minutes.

Put the mixed greens and chopped herbs in a bowl, drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper; toss gently with your hands.
    In a small bowl, combine the honey, warm water, and lemon juice; whisk with a fork to combine.

To serve, divide the greens between 2 plates, mound the chunks of gorgonzola cheese on the side of each and place 2 roasted figs in the center of the salad. Drizzle the whole thing with the warm honey vinaigrette.

Awhile back, last month, in the Cookie thread, I posted a Honey Peanut Butter cookie recipe from Laurel's Kitchen, an old fave cookie of mine.
    But remember, however big the jar, it'll keep. (When my sister was married to a Mormon Elder, she had a forty-pound bin of honey under her bed-- part of preparation for famine None got thrown out.). Pour it into smaller containers, keep all but a daily-use amount in cool/dark (not fridge-- pantry, cupboard, etc.) and if it starts to harden, take off the lid and stick the jar in a pan of hot water halfway up it's sides. Leave it there till it's liquid again. Or of course you can microwave the open jar, but only for seconds at a time, watching well. It superheats really fast.

Wow! That sounds like an interesting story!

(When my sister was married to a Mormon Elder, she had a forty-pound bin of honey under her bed-- part of preparation for famine None got thrown out.).
    Heavy Headonist

Sometimes people toss stuff into casual conversation that makes you realize just how dull your own life is!

Thank you for all the links and info. I didn't really know what she ment by "raw" honey and had no idea if I could use it for the same things.
    Last edited by cminmd; 09-15-2005 at 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling