Community Message Boards

Thread: Make Your own Butterfingers

Make Your own Butterfingers

well, why would you want to, if you can just buy them?

a) just for kicks
    b) a fun activity for kids
    c) to use up leftover candy corn

these are VERY easy and taste similar to the real thing. I have to admit I was VERY skeptical. they don't have that same flakiness/crispiness, but the texture is approaching that... kind of crumbly chewy. the taste isn't exactly the same either, but it is in the arena. they are very good!

here are a couple pictures... not sure how well you can see what they are like from these pictures, though.

here is the recipe... very easy to scale! just use equal part PB and candy corn!

Butterfinger Candy

10 oz candy corn
    10 oz. peanut butter -- (2 cups)
    1 pkg. chocolate candy coating -- (10 oz) - I just used the Baker's melting chocolate that comes in a microwaveable bowl in the baking aisle.

Melt candy corn in microwave on high 1 minute. Stir and continue cooking in 15-second intervals til melted, stirring after each interval. Stir in peanut butter. Spread mixture in a buttered dish. Cool completely. Cut into squares. Dip in melted chocolate candy coating. Lay on waxed paper to set.

I love recipes like this! There's something fun about re-creating a childhood favorite, so I'll have to try this one.

I recently made Thin Mint knockoffs - very similar to the Girl Scout cookie - based on a Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade recipe. It's just vanilla wafers dipped in melted dark chocolate mixed with some peppermint essential oil (food-grade). Sandra Lee used semi-sweet chocolate and peppermint extract. I had to freeze the cookies to solidfy the chocolate (but I live in So. California) and they were delicious and so simple - I'll definitely be making them again, maybe for the holidays

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by valchemist
    c) to use up leftover candy corn

Never heard of such an item.

Quote Originally Posted by doggerham
    You can find it at my house every Fall after I make my Annual Candy Corn Impulse Buy. While I like the idea of candy corn -- ya know it's festive, looks all Fall-ish and pretty in a nice candy dish -- I don't care for sweet sugary candies, so after a few pieces, I've had enough. Sigh...

Last year I ended up baking some cookies and bars to use it up, so maybe this year (assuming history repeats itself and I fall off the wagon again) I'll use it up in some homemade Butterfingers. Thanks for sharing, Val!

Kari

LOL - Halloween at your house must be fun!

I know! no such thing around here. I love candy corn straight up.

I bought a bag on sale 2 days ago to make the butterfingers. I gave Julia 5 pieces (she's never had it before). I told her it is my favorite candy (which it is). she ate one and she said it was her favorite candy too. but by the time she had eaten 3 of the 5, I guess it was no longer her favorite because she said, "here, mama. you can have the last two."

sigh. where is your sweet tooth, girl?

cathy, glad those thin mint knock offs were good!

Melt candy corn...
    You know, I never even imagined in my wildest dreams that candy corn melted! I always thought it was one of those things that would survive an atomic bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim719
    I don't care for sweet sugary candies, so after a few pieces, I've had enough. Sigh...
    hmmm...
    sounds like julia is in your camp. did you brainwash her a couple years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by zwieback
    You know, I never even imagined in my wildest dreams that candy corn melted! I always thought it was one of those things that would survive an atomic bomb.
    haha.

but this reminds me...
    meant to say...
    I melted mine in a plastic bowl and it wanted to stick. I think pyrex would have been better. it worked in plastic, just a bit sticky.

hmmm...
    sounds like julia is in your camp. did you brainwash her a couple years ago?
    Ummm...errr...uh...I was only trying to help! Didn't want her to eat up all your candy before you get some. Seriously, though, perhaps the sweet tooth gene skips a generation. My grandfather has a big sweet tooth, but my mother doesn't at all...and then there's me who has to have something every day. Or maybe Julia does indeed have your sweet tooth, but her manners won out and she wanted to shar her candy with Mommy.

Kari

Val, what is the source? That looks great! Did you make it up yourself?

Oh, never mind. I found it on the Taste of Home board.

Here's more info in case anyone wants to read about it in depth.

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboa...556087&catnum=

If we're talking candy corn, it must be getting time to make Halloween Bark! I made that last year for DH's office, and they loved it. I just remember having to go to three stores to find the bloody Halloween Oreo cookies!

I'm starting to feel guilty sending them all this lovely high-fat sweet stuff -- Nanaimo Bars, Coconut Lime Sours, Butterfingers cookies, Mocha cookies, brownies. Maybe when my copy of "One Smart Cookie" arrives, I'll make them some slightly less rich stuff.

If we're talking candy corn, it must be getting time to make Halloween Bark! I made that last year for DH's office, and they loved it. I just remember having to go to three stores to find the bloody Halloween Oreo cookies!

I'm starting to feel guilty sending them all this lovely high-fat sweet stuff -- Nanaimo Bars, Coconut Lime Sours, Butterfingers cookies, Mocha cookies, brownies. Maybe when my copy of "One Smart Cookie" arrives, I'll make them some slightly less rich stuff.
    First, I am DEFINITELY makign the Halloweeen Bark this year if it kills me! I never could find those blasted Oreos last year and I was so disappointed. This year - I WILL FIND THEM.

Second, Amy, I send all the good stuff to DH's work, too. Since I live vicariously through them, the stuff just kept getting richer, sweetier, fattier, etc. To counteract my guilt, I now send one batch of "bad for you" stuff and one batch of "good for you" stuff. They love it! Speaking of butterfingers, I sent with him today the Butterfinger Cookies (which he loved) and some Spicy Carrot Bran Muffins (posted by bluemoose). Everybody wins!
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

Another reason to make these is if you live in Canada and can't get Butterfinger bars here. Of course, I think I looked for candy corn last year and could not find that either. So I may be out of luck either way, and Butterfinger is DH's favorite! Oh well.

Without having made these, my first thought is that the recipe would taste good in something -- like as filling for some kind bar cookie or broken up in something else....or as a layer underneath a peanut butter bar type thing. At any rate, I'm going to be buying candy corn a little early this year. Val, you should post this on SL too.

Quote Originally Posted by annagins
    Oh, never mind. I found it on the Taste of Home board.

Here's more info in case anyone wants to read about it in depth.

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboa...556087&catnum=
    thanks for posting that thread, anna. I hadn't seen it. the directions given by that one person are good.

no way could I make up something like this! I had forgotten to mention I found it on the TOH BB. but I don't know what the original source is (they never give sources over there, it seems).

[QUOTE=doggerham]If we're talking candy corn, it must be getting time to make Halloween Bark! I made that last year for DH's office, and they loved it. I just remember having to go to three stores to find the bloody Halloween Oreo cookies!
    QUOTE]
    So what's Halloween Bark???

speaking of halloween...did anyone see the over of country living with those gorgeous little chocolate pumpkin cupcakes with orange cream cheese frosting???? YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY!

I LOVE HALLOWEEN!
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Warning! Open this old thread at YOUR OWN RISK!

Candy corn is about the only candy I don't inhale. But I may have to get some to try the Butterfingers. Thanks for the post, Val!

I love/adore/worship chocolate, but don't feel quite the same way about candy. Maybe that's why I never knew candy corn is so versatile? I'll have to try that Halloween bark too - my coworkers are going to love me when I bring in that plus the butterfingers.

Cathy

here is the recipe... very easy to scale! just use equal part PB and candy corn!

Butterfinger Candy

10 oz candy corn
    10 oz. peanut butter -- (2 cups)
    1 pkg. chocolate candy coating -- (10 oz) - I just used the Baker's melting chocolate that comes in a microwaveable bowl in the baking aisle.

Melt candy corn in microwave on high 1 minute. Stir and continue cooking in 15-second intervals til melted, stirring after each interval. Stir in peanut butter. Spread mixture in a buttered dish. Cool completely. Cut into squares. Dip in melted chocolate candy coating. Lay on waxed paper to set.

oops!

10 oz of PB is 1 cup, not 2!! sorry for that typo.

just use equal weights of those ingredients and you will be fine.

and while I am ammending the recipe, I should say that you should stir the PB into the candy corn quickly, because it hardens up if you work too slowly.

There are so many great recipes on this site, I can't wait to try them all out! This one is surely going to get my two rascals' attention (for about 1.2 minutes) if I try to make them cook it

I tried the recipe, and It was incredible! I got to spend some quality time with my boys, I taught them some of the basics of cooking, and most important of all we had fun! And the desert was delicious!
    I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much lightning drink, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.