Community Message Boards

Thread: How long to cook brown basmati rice?

Question How long to cook brown basmati rice?

Hi!
    I just got some brown basmati rice from a new health food store near me. It was sold in bulk, though, without any cooking instructions. Would cooking time be the same as for regular basmati rice - or does the brown take longer? Could I cook brown and white together? Does anyone know?!
    THANK YOU!
    Lynn

I am no brown rice expert, but we use Brown Texmati, which I understand is the US-born version of basmati...it needs to simmer for 45 minutes. I use 1 cup of rice, and add 2& 1/4 cups water/broth, bring to boil, cover and simmer. Turns out great for us!

I wouldn't use the same cook time for the brown & white. Generic brown rice usually takes 45 minutes, while white takes 15. I believe white basmati does need longer cooking than generic white, so one would assume that you'll need to cook the brown rice at least 45 minutes.

Yes, brown basmati takes about 45-50 minutes to cook. Generally use a 2:1 water to rice ratio, bring to a boil, then simmer while covered. If it starts to stick, or the water all absorbs before it's done, just add more water/broth. It smells soooo heavenly

Talking

If you have an electric rice cooker, I would suggest using twice the amount of water to the rice (1 c. rice 2 c. water) Works for me

Smile

Thanks, everyone! I truly appreciate the feedback and will take your suggestions!
    Lynn