Community Message Boards

Thread: Uses for Vanilla Sugar

Uses for Vanilla Sugar

As I put my newly brewing batch of vanilla extract back on the shelf, I looked at the jar of vanilla sugar that has been sitting there for months. I'm wondering what I'm going to do with it, other than sprinkle on cookies or muffins. I don't sweeten tea, coffee or cereal and I'm stumped on why I wanted to make so much of this (I did a pint jar).

One note -- I used about 1/4 cup to make some vanilla kettle corn over the weekend. The vanilla was very mild, but that sure was good!

What else do you use vanilla sugar for?

Has anyone made vanilla sugar with a courser grind -- for tops of cookies or muffins?

Re: "What else do you use vanilla sugar for?"

My original recipe for vanilla sugar was for a flavored sugar, used for making cakes (not just for sprinkling on top of cookies, cereals, etc). As you use the sugar you replace it, so that you have a constant supply.

Was that in a cake that also used vanilla? Did the vanilla sugar enhance vanilla extract or replace it?

Vanilla sugar, used alone, gives a very subtle flavor, and is especially good used in white cakes.

I usually add liquid vanilla, but maybe not quite as much as the recipe states.

Vanilla extract is pretty forgiving. in some recipes I have been known to double the amount in the instructions. No one ever even knew, or said "Eeew, yuck!"

I always have vanilla sugar going strictly for using in Snickerdoodles. I won't make them without the vanilla sugar. They are so much better, with almost melt in your mouth vanilla flavor. I also like to use the vanilla sugar in my sugar cookies at Christmas time. I use the sugar in addition to the vanilla extract. I haven't tried it, but I imagine you could use the sugar in just about any baked good.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

I always have vanilla sugar on hand. I use it on cut-up fruit mostly (really good on the strawberries in Strawberry Shortcake!) or when cooking with fruits, but I'll use it in some other baking recipes just to get a little extra vanilla punch.

I always make my own - blitz the bean and sugar in the food processor - and I wonder how it compares to something like Penzey's.

Quote Originally Posted by mrswaz
    I always have vanilla sugar going strictly for using in Snickerdoodles. I won't make them without the vanilla sugar. They are so much better, with almost melt in your mouth vanilla flavor. I also like to use the vanilla sugar in my sugar cookies at Christmas time. I use the sugar in addition to the vanilla extract. I haven't tried it, but I imagine you could use the sugar in just about any baked good.
    FYI the snickerdoodle recipe in the KA Cookie book is to die for. Perfect mix of chewy and just the right thickness (not too thin/not too round) my favorite to date. If you are interested and don't have the book, I'll post it. It is not the same one as on their website, it has cream of tartar in it.

I'd love the KA Snickerdoodle recipe. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sooty
    FYI the snickerdoodle recipe in the KA Cookie book is to die for. Perfect mix of chewy and just the right thickness (not too thin/not too round) my favorite to date. If you are interested and don't have the book, I'll post it. It is not the same one as on their website, it has cream of tartar in it.
    Oh yes! Please share! It's almost Snickerdoodle season at our house. Always served with a nice steaming mug of hot chocolate. Mmm. Winter heaven.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I love Snickerdoodles, but I only learned about them in adulthood. I didn't even know what they were called for a long time, and then I put off making them for a long time too. I finally made them, but never thought to make them with vanilla sugar. Will have to give that a try. I also liked the suggestion for putting vanilla sugar on berries.

I will post it tonight. At work now. It really is good. I just ordered hot cocoa from Penzey's, and snickerdoodles are on the schedule for dipping this weekend. Chocolate and cinnamon, yum!

I think vanilla sugar would add to just about anything you bake, sprinkled on, added to, and also I have used mine as my sweetener for coffee and teas and such.

I sprinkled my forlorn and unused vanilla sugar on some fresh figs this summer and broiled the figs until the sugar got carmely. I wish I had a brulee torch, but it was yummy, just not as crunchy as I would have hoped.

I think I saw naked chef sprinkle some vanilla sugar on a bunch of stone fruit he roasted, then put over ice cream.

My sugar was a gift, so thanks for the thread, I'm interested in the new & exciting uses for my little space taker.

KA Snickerdoodles (abbreviated version)

1/2 c shortening
    1/2 c butter (I use unsalted)
    1 1/2 c sugar
    1 t vanilla
    2 t baking powder
    2 eggs
    3/4 t salt
    2 3/4 unbleached all purpose flour

coating
    1/2 c sugar
    2 tcinnamon

1. oven at 400
    2. cream everything to bp, add eggs, beat, add flour slowly, beat until combined
    3. roll 1 level T balls into cinn sugar, space 1 1/2 in apart on sheets
    4. flatten each cookie slightly with glass
    5. bake 8 min

notes: the scoop I use is 2T, like 10-12 min baking

I thought it had cream of tartar, must be confusing it with another recipe

I have made these many times and have always gotten requests for the recipe

Quote Originally Posted by gardenmom
    My sugar was a gift, so thanks for the thread, I'm interested in the new & exciting uses for my little space taker.
    I had a similar experience with my first vanilla sugar. I bought some years ago in little packets (like unflavored gelatin powder) from a specialty shop -- I think it was imported and very rare at the time. It seemed so special that I could hardly use it in baking, except to sprinkle on top of something. I made my own after that, but still had the same problem with freely using it. Now I have a big jar that is half empty and I'm starting some more (I think I'll give a jar to my neighbor whose son was over today and devoured the kettle corn I made with some).

I think it would be really good for sweetening drinks, but I don't sweeten coffee or most teas, so I am reaching out and oversoming my "too special" hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by sooty
    KA Snickerdoodles (abbreviated version)

1/2 c shortening
    1/2 c butter (I use unsalted)
    1 1/2 c sugar
    1 t vanilla
    2 t baking powder
    2 eggs
    3/4 t salt
    2 3/4 unbleached all purpose flour

coating
    1/2 c sugar
    2 tcinnamon

1. oven at 400
    2. cream everything to bp, add eggs, beat, add flour slowly, beat until combined
    3. roll 1 level T balls into cinn sugar, space 1 1/2 in apart on sheets
    4. flatten each cookie slightly with glass
    5. bake 8 min

notes: the scoop I use is 2T, like 10-12 min baking

I thought it had cream of tartar, must be confusing it with another recipe

I have made these many times and have always gotten requests for the recipe
    Thank you!

Thanks for posting the KA Snickerdoodle recipe.

Beth, you're right about going for it with the Vanilla sugar experiments. I think I'll remember it is there, and maybe try some in my coffee or on my oatmeal. The homemade stuff sounds yummy!